Is the Accuracy International Stock worth the price

LeMay

I love the AI stocks and seeing alot more guys with them at the sniper matches. I have one on my 308 and it shoots great.

Kip, I shot my buddies AI last Saturday in 308Win. Remington PSS, I believe he said the model was, very accurate rifle, even though he had a Super-sniper scope mounted, but a very nice Jewell trigger, and a very loud muzzle brake, can't stand them things, he didn't have that rifle bedded, and the thing shot in the 3/8" range with Federal Match 168s, I'd forget that Savage idea if I were you, especially if you want this stock, Remington makes a good piece if you get a decent one. Jay

I love the look and feel of the AI chassis. I love thumbhole stocks and was looking at buying the 1.5 with the adjustable cheek piece. It runs around $550 and needs no additional bedding. I've heard it's a little heavy but will greatly improve any trued rem 700. The only drawback is that it only excepts Rem 700 actions, and I like Savages. I figure I'll have to pay a gunsmith $200 or so to bed a laminate or composite stock plus $200-$300 for the stock itself. The AI I can just drop in and shoot. Does any one have any experience with an AI set up? Is it really worth the cost or should I just go with a McMillan or Richards microfit and pay a gunsmith? Thanks.

Kip

If you feel that those stock give you good value, have at it.

I too like thumbhole stocks but prefer to make my own. Cost and fit are the main reasons. Boyd's or Richards will have some very nice designs and inletting will require very little work to bed. I am surprised that your gunsmith would want so much. At best, I would say $75 to bed in one of these semi inletted stocks. The stocks are $75 to $175 so total would be half of the AI.

A synthetic stock from McMillan, HS prec, etc. will also cost some pennies and they all, including the AI, need to be bedded. Unless the bedding blocks were cut off your actions dimensions, there will always be some slop. Remember, bedding is an interference fit. If the stock can wiggle when you drop it into the stock, it needs bedding. Don't use the action screws to force it in place. You are bending the action and the benefits of these fancy stocks is lost.

Jerry

Kip
The AI is a really good rig, I build several rifles on it. It would benefit from bedding at least the lug area. Cost is neck and neck with the McMillans.
The only drawback is a lot of people find them comfortable only in the prone or sitting at the bench. Not really designed as a hunting/offhand stock.
Forget the Savage and stick with Remmy.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.