Is the 6x45 too small?

I have and used my 7x45 for all kinds of Michigan deer and Florida hogs. It works just fine for what you want.
I shoot the 70gr hammer but really need to push the absolute hammers for more speed.
Id say do it. I've dropped a lot of deer past 300 with mine.
Actually building another for a young man soon.
As for the bigger bolt face nope don't do it. If you want more go to the 6.5 grendel and push the 97 absolute hammer to 3k.
I killed hundreds of hogs with it and in fact took a red stag this winter with it.
97gr at that speed is .243 territory. Absolute hammers are magic in small cases

I have a 6-223AI that will clock 2900fps with a 90gr sierra game changer. It's a great little round. Not what I would consider a 400 yard deer killer though.

I have a 6-223AI that will clock 2900fps with a 90gr sierra game changer. It's a great little round. Not what I would consider a 400 yard deer killer though.
Why? Would you say a .243 is not a deer killer at that distance? A 6.5 creed?
No you wouldn't. A 90gr going that speed has and will be great for deer.

the reason for limiting the distance is not speed or accuracy it is energy. something in the 85-90 gr class of bullet will be down to 2000fps or lower getting to the limit of expansion velocity and energy is below 800lbs putting it well below most people's acceptable level for clean quick kills.
while the 6x45 will punch above what you would think it is better well under 400yds. I consider 250-300yds max and that is with an experienced shooter with proper bullets for the game being hunted

Why? Would you say a .243 is not a deer killer at that distance? A 6.5 creed?
No you wouldn't. A 90gr going that speed has and will be great for deer.
Personal experience. I shot this 6.5 year old 265+ pound mule deer at 330 yards with the 90gr game changer at just under 3400fps. He took 3 hits in the chest and one dead center of the shoulder before falling over.

If I'm going with a lighter bullet I want more velocity. 2900fps with a 90 will for sure do it at 400 but not what I consider a deer round.
KIMG1831.JPG

Personal experience. I shot this 6.5 year old 265+ pound mule deer at 330 yards with the 90gr game changer at just under 3400fps. He took 3 hits in the chest and one dead center of the shoulder before falling over.

If I'm going with a lighter bullet I want more velocity. 2900fps with a 90 will for sure do it at 400 but not what I consider a deer round.
View attachment 365641
nice deer.

what was the bullet performance like? there seems to be reports that is to tough and doesn't always expand and then you hear that they came apart separating core and jacket. Would like to hear your performance experience.

nice deer.

what was the bullet performance like? there seems to be reports that is to tough and doesn't always expand and then you hear that they came apart separating core and jacket. Would like to hear your performance experience.
I wasn't displeased with the performance. I shot him in 2019 don't recall recovering a bullet.

To be fair each shot would have been lethal if I let it be. But he just stood there so I kept shooting him. The 3 shots in this chest were within maybe 2" of each other the 4th shot was in the shoulder and that was the only one he reacted to.... Chest cavity was jello and there was exit holes

My experience is it's a fairly tough bullet. I shot an antelope that same year at about 200 yards, he was a one and done and didn't recover that bullet either.

I wasn't displeased with the performance. I shot him in 2019 don't recall recovering a bullet.

To be fair each shot would have been lethal if I let it be. But he just stood there so I kept shooting him. The 3 shots in this chest were within maybe 2" of each other the 4th shot was in the shoulder and that was the only one he reacted to.... Chest cavity was jello and there was exit holes

My experience is it's a fairly tough bullet. I shot an antelope that same year at about 200 yards, he was a one and done and didn't recover that bullet either.
thanks.

my experience with the 165 7mm in my 284 says they are pretty tough but then i see gel tests that are from bent nose and massive penetration to coming apart after 2 inches but yet retaining most of the weight if you weigh the core and jacket leading me to think the core is a pretty hard aloy

No hands on experience with the 6x45 here though the 6x38 aka 6mm ARC has caught my interest in the last couple of years. From my perspective Id think the 6mm ARC may check all of your important boxes for the light weight youth rifle you are considering. That is if you can get past the idea of a 6ppc, 6.5 Grendel bolt face. Would not rule out the 6.5 Grendel either.

Yes I do feel the boiler room of the 6x45 may be a bit on the conservative side for the extended ranges you are considering.

Upper end of range for shots is determined by many factors & rifle capability is just the start of considerations. Still I would give a CZ 527 or a Howa Mini a serious bit of consideration in 6mm ARC with your low recoil & light weight goals. Will be interested in what you come up with.

Never worked with one, but reading this thread that a 90g can be pushed at 2900 fps tells me that 400y work is not out of the question. I would likely run the 70g Hammer Hunter. Thinking 3200 fps should be pretty easy to get to.

That said I will throw in on the 6x47 Lapua.

6x45 is surprisingly potent. I'd think it a little mild for reaching out beyond a couple hundred meters but if your shot placement is good it'll do. A 6BR is just enough more that I'd have no issues with it at all to 400m. Recoil is still super mild. If you want to stick with a shorter case so you can run STANAG length mags then a 243LBC/6Grendel or 6ARC is a heck of a good option to pump up the juice.

the reason for limiting the distance is not speed or accuracy it is energy. something in the 85-90 gr class of bullet will be down to 2000fps or lower getting to the limit of expansion velocity and energy is below 800lbs putting it well below most people's acceptable level for clean quick kills.
while the 6x45 will punch above what you would think it is better well under 400yds. I consider 250-300yds max and that is with an experienced shooter with proper bullets for the game being hunted
Well that didn't answer the question. How does that 6mm pill know if it's spit out of a .243 case of 6x45? If the speed is the same.
I understand they have limits. That being said as long as the bullet stays above the manufacturers recommend FPS it will
Open and kill. Nobody ever questions a 80gr ttsx out of a .243 win to 400-500 yards for deer but are now questioning a 6x45 with the similar weight bullet going same speed or close.
Is it small yes, but coming from my experiences with it at those distances it's fine.
Would I say 400 max for me probably around that mark but once my load is down I run it through applied. Then whatever distance it says I hit min FPS for given bullet say 1800fps that's where set my max distance on game.

Never worked with one, but reading this thread that a 90g can be pushed at 2900 fps tells me that 400y work is not out of the question. I would likely run the 70g Hammer Hunter. Thinking 3200 fps should be pretty easy to get to.

That said I will throw in on the 6x47 Lapua.
Steve I am currently running the 70gr in a 16" barrel.
That being said I'm sure another 150-200fps can be had with the 69gr absolute. Which would be a great round.

Well that didn't answer the question. How does that 6mm pill know if it's spit out of a .243 case of 6x45? If the speed is the same.
I understand they have limits. That being said as long as the bullet stays above the manufacturers recommend FPS it will
Open and kill. Nobody ever questions a 80gr ttsx out of a .243 win to 400-500 yards for deer but are now questioning a 6x45 with the similar weight bullet going same speed or close.
Is it small yes, but coming from my experiences with it at those distances it's fine.
Would I say 400 max for me probably around that mark but once my load is down I run it through applied. Then whatever distance it says I hit min FPS for given bullet say 1800fps that's where set my max distance on game.
the range limit has nothing to do with velocity it is all about energy and it dont matter what case it is fired in. a 243 will hit 3300 with a 80gr bullet and have 300fps more velocity and almost 300ft/lbs more energy than the 6x45 at the target
243 998ft/lbs 2300fps
6x45 710ft/lbs 2000fps
most people consider 1000ft/lbs and above minimum expansion velocity to kill game cleanly.