Is the 6mmXC all that it's made out to be.

King Richard is the one who started using the dasher in 2001 and has more experience and wins with it than anyone except for Dan Dowling. As far as internet na he a good friend.

Ten world records and 3 two gun national championships is what I look at. Of course everyone is an expert.

Brent

Tubbs also states that the 6xc prolongs barrel life because of the longer neck. Based on that statement, out would seem that the 6mm Remington would outlast the .243 win. because it's case neck is more than 30% longer.

Tubbs also states that the 6xc prolongs barrel life because of the longer neck. Based on that statement, out would seem that the 6mm Remington would outlast the .243 win. because it's case neck is more than 30% longer.

I never paid all that much attention to the necks and the 6XC, but do shoot the 6/250AI. Now my necks come out to slightly over .230" long due to case shrinkage, and I use .243 brass as 22-250 brass would be even worse shrinkage. But on the otherhand you won't see much shrinkage with the 6XC as your not moving brass around all that much. With that in mind I figure your getting about a .25" neck length at the max. Now the shoulder angle is a little shallow at 28 degrees, but it's close enough to 30 degrees anyway. I'd rather seen 35 degrees. The vortex of the flame is right near the lip of the case. That's not so hot, and really not a lot better than the standard .243 Winchester. Even the Ackley case is a little too short with a 40 degree shoulder and a .23" neck length (the other neck figures out to be .248"). You really need a .32" or longer neck for good barrel life. I doubt my 6/250AI will go much beyond 1250 rounds, and I'd think the 6XC will be about 75% of that figure.
gary

I went through the same thing a few months back between the 6XC and 6mm Creedmoor. I ended up going with the 6mm Creedmoor. They were both neck and neck for me. Still waiting for the rifle and will post the results when I get it.

I am not a benchrest shooter but the cartridge did draw my interest when Gunwerks put it in their lineup for LR hunting rifles. Currently I have a hunting rifle on order from G A Precision in 6XC. I am patiently waiting. When it gets here and I put it in the field for deer etc: you will know because there will be an article posted on this site with my findings.

i just changed my first XC barrel it was a Bartlein 7.7 twist 1.250 straight tube 31" it had been on 2 different actions a Remington 722 to start and then a Nesika so the barrel was set back around 1" about half way through it's life. i started with Sierra 107s then switched to 115 DTACs and when those became unavailable i used 105 Berger and 110 Sierra and 115 Berger and then back to the 115 DACs i used the rifle for F-class so it was shot 1 time per week 22 rounds in 22 mins and some range sessions as well. i kinda lost count due to being on different actions and using so many different bullets but i had at least 1500 rounds through it and possibly as much as 1800. the barrel has been cut back to 28" now and i rechambered it in a wildcat i'm working on and it's still going. you can also if wanted take small primer 6.5 CR brass and run it through the XC die and shorten the necks if you just have to have small primer brass. i probably have 70 of the first 100 norma large primer brass i bought in 2014 left and basically i wore out the barrel with them using 39 gr. of H-4350 and fed 210M primers with 115 DTACs it was right at 2930 fps. i personally don't get hung up on velocity i hang my hat on my X-count. i shot a lot of 200s with that rifle in the midrange game. i never lost 1 piece of brass to a loose primer pocket. i generally culled them for holes burnt in the necks or cracks at the web from full length sizing and my XCs both like to be full length sized and bumping the shoulder back .0025" and slightly turned necks just enough to clean them up and then a .265 bushing giving me around .0035" or so neck tension. i run 4. F class rifles a 6mm XC and a 6.5 Creed and a 6mm Dasher and a .284 win for 1000 yards and by far the XC is my favorite it's easy to load for and is better in the wind than the dasher and creed. and is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to shoot than the .284 win. that's my 2 cents. as far as accuracy goes on this new barrel it shoots a .167" 5 shot group using the same exact load as the last barrel which is good enough for me and last weekend i shot a local 300 yard F-Class match and shot a 200/17X in moderately gusting conditions with the 115 DTACs. so i'll be staying with the XC for the time being.

Last edited:
I shoot both the 6 Creed and 6 BR, both are very accurate. 6 Creed for distance over 900 and smooth DBM feeding. 6 BR for under 900yards. You will need inserts in your AI mags to get the BR to feed smoothly, Primal Rights has them. 6 BR has way better barrel life.

I was comparing this to the .243 Winchester in Berger's new reloading manual. Perfect case volume, acceptable bore wear, reduced brass flow and more accurate than the 6br.

Big promises. I've been debating about my next rifle. Maybe chambered in 6XC.

So, is it all that and a box of chocolates, or am I just drinking the kool-aid?

I think it really depends your intended use. If you are planning on shooting PRS(Tactical sports), yes, the 6XC is proving to be a superb cartridge in this arena, delivering an excellent balance of LR accuracy, ballistics, recoil control, and feeding reliability. More and more 6XC's are showing up and delivering top scores with increasing frequency. If your looking for a more versatile chambering with greater case capacity/velocity with easy access to ammo and brass, the 243 might better serve your needs.

Very interesting thread, I've been thinking about getting a fast twist 6mm for shooting 110-115 grain bullets.
Really looking into the 6 Creed, 6 SLR, and 6 Remington.
Primary objective would be for medium game hunting, and would build on a long action.
Any thoughts on my line up..

I'll throw one out there that gets you good vel a great neck decent shoulder angle. 6 SLR. .243 case one trip thru a SLR die and you get a .321 neck 30 degree shoulder same oal as a .243. Brass is way way easy to find and no more prep than a parnet case. Lapua Norma Peterson RWS Winchester, Hornady yada yada yada. Not only will you find it a local store you likely can find it on the ground or in the trash as most any range lol. Do not forget while more powder can mean shorter throat life there is no one making a person run that hot where in a small case its all shes got. 115 @ 3k not an issue and not @ heavy pressure. Likely allow for using h1000 with its cooler temp flame which combined with the neck length and shoulder angle would likely get you vel, accuracy, less throat wear. Basically its the xc meets the 243 and best of all its not a creedmor.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.