Is the 6.5 x 284 really a great long range cartridge?

baranx4

I coworker is getting one in that caliber in the savage long range hunter. He found a great deal on one and for caliber it's that or the 300 win and he already has the 300. Any info on the 6.5 would be appreciated as there isn't a great deal of info on it. I was surprised you couldn't wiki it either. Found out it is based on the 284 which was based on the 30-06. not much more info out there.

It is a necked down 284 win, the 284 win is not based on the 30-06, that would be a 280 rem. Winchester designed the 284 win to duplicate the then wildcat 280 rem velocities in a shorter package, able to function in a short action. IMHO the 284 win is a better LR cartridge than the 6.5x284 for 2 reasons, 1. A larger variety of long, heavy for caliber, high BC bullets. 2. Much longer barrel life compared to the 6.5x284. I have a 6.5x284 and in the process of building a 284 win for 800 yards and in hunting.

Im suprised you havent found more info because there are a lot of people out there that shoot the 6.5x284 for 1000 yard f-class and benchrest

The 6.5-284 is a great long range cartridge for medium game. With a 140 VLD it will achieve 1800FPS and 1000 ft/pds energy at 900-1000 yards depending on altitude. I have shot over 20 deer and antelope between 500 and 1000 yards. Full penetration on broadside shots, one inch entrance , 3 inch exit and massive internal damage. Both of mine, a Cooper, and a Savage LRH shoot .25 MOA. With a muzzle brake recoil feels like a 243 Win., maybe lighter. Much of the noise about barrel life comes from the Benchrest and target shooters. The barrel life is about the same as any other hunting cartridge capable of efficiently killing game at 1000 yards and possessing its ballistic capability. It will very likely give a hunter many years of excellent performance before the barrel burns out. iMHO.

greyfox is right it might burn a barrel in 2 or 3000 rounds shooting 30 round strings at a F shoot but for hunting its a great round ;-}

Great LR deer round fer sure! Haven't taken any other game with it, yet. I mostly shoot the 120gn Ballistic Tip and it is pretty darn accurate for a factory stock rifle with hunting bullets. Last Sunday I shot a 3-4" group at 700yds. This is not the most accurate or fastest load I have shot from it either.
Currently using 52gn of IMR4831/CCI BR2. Accuracy run's in the .3's @ 100yds and velocity averages 3145fps. Still good enough for whitetails. JohnnyK.

Nothing wrong with it at all. He will like it. The difference between it and the original 284 is there, but not terribly significant. With the 7 you can go up to heavier bullet weights, but the Savage will be twisted fast, so he will be able to shoot 140s with ease. Great round.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.