Is the 6.5 creedmoor the new 30/30?

Seeing how the military has adopted it, the 6.5 Creedmore - the new 7.62 - will be around for a real long time. As for the 30-30, sort of like a curio but not as useful as a .45-70 - the 30-30 is adequate but nothing more. Have to admit, those old Win 94's look & handle well.

Is the 6.5 creedmoor the new 30/30?

Well ............. I almost never see anyone shooting a 30/30 at our club anymore and I see more guys shooting the Creedmoor every day. Once-a-year shooters probably still shoot the 30/30 in large numbers but regular shooters are all over the newer cartridges.
If range/club use is a determinant, around these parts for the last 10 years, the AR/223's clearly dominate…perhaps over all other firearms combined. In the last year alone, sales have boomed simply because of the threat of its extinction.
I think it's a difficult comparison. A big difference is that rifle ownership amongst the general population today is largely directed towards leisure. Back at the turn of the century the rifle was still considered a necessity/tool. It's estimated that there are still +5M Winchester 94's in circulation +90% in 30-30….and that doesn't include the competitive brand 30-30's. I don't think the Creed has a chance, surely if the analysis is applied on a per capital comparison in time. IMO, it's likely that the popularity of 6.5 Creedmoor will succumb to the eccentricities or fads of the moment/era. Even Hornady is helping this along cannibalizing the sales of the Creed with the 6.5 PRC being positioned for superior hunting/LR applications.

PS…I would add that I'm in no way down on the 6.5CM…On the contrary, It has served me quite well in competitive matches.

Last edited:
I'll admit I never got the deal with making things so they fit in shorter actions. Who really cares? Nothing wrong with long actions. What am I missing? Obviously something, otherwise 300 WSM, etc. wouldn't be around. And we do have a .260 Remington, but just because the right rifle was available when we needed it. Just as soon have 6.5x55 (and I do have a gorgeous Swedish Mauser; $120 at the time!).

Getting into the 6.5 Creedmore was sure a good business deal for Hornady - American entrepreneurship at its very best. In addition, the U.S. military has adopted the 6.5 Creedmore and military cartridges such as the .223/5.56, .30-06/US Cal .30 (WWII fame), & .308/7.62 are real popular as seen by AR use and .30 caliber hunting ammo sales - popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor will follow. I don't remember ever seeing a .30-.30 being used at any of the clubs I have visited in the western US or while hunting; back east I have seen a few .30-.30's in use by older shooters for hunting. With driving economic interests and strategic marketing the 6.5 Creedmoor has a certain future & its spin-offs the 6mm Creedmore & .22 Creedmoor are likely to survive. The 6.5X55 has survived for a long time, a military cartridge, and has even been used in the BAR but its popularity in the US is limited. I regard it as sort of an "odd ball" because of its bigger than .473 rim size. Last year I picked up about 100 pieces of 6.5 Creedmoor range brass, about 250 .223/5.56, about 60 .308, 60 30-06, & 14 6.5X55's.

The Israeli's re-barreled many M98's for the 7.62 NATO after WWII rather than acquire stocks of 7.92 X 57 ammo when they gained their independence despite Brit obstruction. At that time there were zillions of M98's left over from WWII. Presently, many 7.62 NATO chambered weapons are now being re-barreled to 6.5 Creedmoor. Popularity and use of the 6.5 Creedmore will increase with general shooting interest favoring military calibers. Trajectories of the 6.5 Creedmore are favorably compared to the .300 WM. Component availability is a priority in my personal selection of a rifle or re-barrel. The 6.5 PRC may be real nice but scarce pricy brass will limit its use & popularity. I just bought 100 rounds of 1X fired Hornady 6.5 Creedmore brass - could not have done that with a 6.5 PRC.

Yes!

I started hunting at the tender age of 12 with a 30-30 Marlin lever action. One of my favorite brush guns and a solid performer. I now shoot competition with a 6.5 CM, and it is a great long range target cartridge. However, I think there are a lot of other solid hunting cartridges that outperform the 6.5CM in terminal ballistics, and a whole bunch of 7mm come to mind. As much as I like the 6.5CM, it is not my preferred hunting round. 30-06, 25-06, 7mm-08, and 7 RUM are my go to guns for bagging game. I'm also not convinced that the 6.5CM will be around in 20 years, little lone 100. I think the 30-30 may be dated, but wow, what a good life it has had.

I started hunting at the tender age of 12 with a 30-30 Marlin lever action. One of my favorite brush guns and a solid performer. I now shoot competition with a 6.5 CM, and it is a great long range target cartridge. However, I think there are a lot of other solid hunting cartridges that outperform the 6.5CM in terminal ballistics, and a whole bunch of 7mm come to mind. As much as I like the 6.5CM, it is not my preferred hunting round. 30-06, 25-06, 7mm-08, and 7 RUM are my go to guns for bagging game. I'm also not convinced that the 6.5CM will be around in 20 years, little lone 100. I think the 30-30 may be dated, but wow, what a good life it has had.
I have a good mix of new (including wildcats) and old chamberings. I, too, own a 6.5 CM, .30-30, and our venerable .30-06 chamberings; even older than the -06 is 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Sometimes, as much as we pay tribute to the vintage chamberings, we forget the site's intended purpose and the chamberings in comparison.

Nothing will outlast the Red Ryder. Even a great Christmas movie was made to show its wonder! This little gem may have taken more game than so many others: birds, squirrels, and an occasional stray cat!

All humor aside, for strictly historical conversation, 30-30 is a tough one to beat. 30-06 maybe? In todays cartridges, it may be interesting to see what happens. Could we see shorter times between the next best thing? Kind of like phones, computers, and other technology? Sorry this isn't exactly on track with the question in the OP, but it does make me wonder…..