Is the 6.5 creedmoor the new 30/30?

startrek1761d

The 30/30 has been around for over 120 years, it's old, outdated, boring but still kills deer as good as anything else within its limits. The 6.5 creedmoor is already boring to me and lags behind the faster 6.5 calibers, however for its case size it's one of the best deer calibers out there. Will it still be around in a hundred years?

The 30/30 has been around for over 120 years, it's old, outdated, boring but still kills deer as good as anything else within its limits. The 6.5 creedmoor is already boring to me and lags behind the faster 6.5 calibers, however for its case size it's one of the best deer calibers out there. Will it still be around in a hundred years?
30/30 will never be outdated or disappear.
Great Moose/bear caliber gun for up close. Ask any norther guide they will always have a 30/30 or 35 rem.

IMO, relative to the time frame I don't think there is much of a contest between the 6.5 Creedmoor compared to the 30-30 in terms of historical impact. The 30-30 was one of the first mass scale cartridges to be loaded with smokeless powder which produced a step function in velocity/energy over its black powder counterparts. Additionally, the handy lever action rifles for which the cartridge was chambered highly leveraged the demand. I personally believe the 223/AR platform has the most likely potential of making a mark in history books in years to come. 50+ years a battle rifle, and unmatched commercial volume….Add a boatload of controversy!

Last edited: