Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

Broz

Thought I would open a little discussion about a scope for my new build. It will go on the LRKN Shawn is building me now. Just looking for info from the guys that shoot long and might know of other options. Please look at my criteria list closely, these are the things I feel I must have for ELR to go past 2000 yards. If you know of something better than a Nightforce 5.5 ~ 22 NXS with a NP-R1 please let me what you feel is better or at least in the same league. Just looking to see if there are options I am not aware of.

* Minimum top end power of 22 x but a little more would be nice.
* Subtensions to be no wider that .070 ( Like the NP-R1 thinner would be fine)
* Second Focal Plane only (tried the FFP and hated them)
* .25 MOA Turrets and MOA Reticle (MOA only for me)
* Minimum of 100 MOA total elevation ( more would be great!!)
* A zero stop of some sort is something I really like.
* Price not to exceed $2500 or so.

Thanks!
Jeff

Check out the March 2.5-25x42mm scope - Very nice glass with the specs you're looking for!!!

Thanks Toader. I just did a quick search and it looks good. I have heard some good things about March but never had the chance to use one. Here are a few concerns I have from first impressions on this scope. Maybe you can shed a little more light on them for me if you have used one.

The objective is only 42mm. I would think that might be an issue at last light? What do you think?

The 25 MOA turret. I would think 10 or 20 to be easier to keep track of if one was dialing like 68 MOA. But maybe not?? 50 plus 18?? might not be too bad.

I didn't find a price yet. Do you know an average price this sells for?

Anyone compared these beside the NXS? I have been a NF guy for seveal year now. So to change I am going to need something viewed as better in some ways at least.

Thanks

Jeff

What about IOR here is an example 6-24x56 35mm TACTICAL FFP MIL/MIL SF TACTICAL SCOPE

I do have a few IOR's. Mine are less than 100 MOA like 70. I love their MP-8 dot reticle but the ones I have compared I do not like as much as my NXS's. I did have one fail but their customer service was good about it. The one above is a MIL, FFP and I will not own either of those options.

or a premier
Premier Reticles | Products | Heritage 5-25x56mm Tactical

Can the premier be had for $2500?

or Bushnell this is the one im getting next
Bushnell - HDMR 3.5-21x 50mm - Horus H-59

.34 MOA... thats a show stopper for me.

Like I said I am a huge fan of the NXS with a NP-R1 . So it will probably be hard to find something in the under $2500 price range to beat it. I just wanted to look at the options before I pull the trigger in case I have missed something.

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm still pretty new to this but I like the Sightron Siii series of scopes. I've got a couple buddy's who have them and from what I've seen they have good clear glass, seem to be pretty durable and run about $800-950 for the 6-24x models

Sightron SIII 6-24X50, MOA/MOA, 100moa of adjustment.

No zero stop though and the only other issue that I see would be the .25moa center dot.

I have their 8-32x56 moa/moa, it is still calibrated at 24x so at 32 I've got a finer dot, fantastic scope all around and their customer service was beyond incredible. This model has 70moa adjustment.

If you ask me, yes, the glass is right on with the nxs having had them side by side multiple times.

Vortex Viper pst should fit the bill i have one and its really nice i like it a lot i all so have two night forces 5.5 x 22x 56 np-r1 with ZS and 1 with the HS ZS and the MOAR reticule witch i like a lot more than the npr1 but for the price the viper is a lot of scope. But for what you r looking to put it on don't waisting your time looking your not going to find anything better than a NF and buy a 5.5x22x56 with the HS ZS MOAR reticule unless you r looking to buy a used one i may be talked in to selling my NP-R1 for the right price
Vortex Optics - Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR-1 MOA

Vortex Viper pst should fit the bill i have one and its really nice i like it a lot i all so have two night forces 5.5 x 22x 56 np-r1 with ZS and 1 with the HS ZS and the MOAR reticule witch i like a lot more than the npr1 but for the price the viper is a lot of scope. But for what you r looking to put it on don't waisting your time looking your not going to find anything better than a NF and buy a 5.5x22x56 with the HS ZS MOAR reticule unless you r looking to buy a used one i may be talked in to selling my NP-R1 for the right price
Vortex Optics - Viper PST 6-24x50 EBR-1 MOA

Sorry Jeff, Although I agree the PST is agood value it will not work. It suffers greatly from the loss of 35 moa over the NXS. Crap that barely gets you past a mile. I have installed a few and was not that impressed especially with the eye box. I have yet to get behind one where I didn't have to move my head to get full view. Not sure what was up with that but the NXS is right there all the time. I also hate what they did to the power ring too. Those little bitty numbers are very hard for me to see.

I really liked the MOAR concept untill I read about them making it so thick. Then looking through one confirmed my fears. Just too thick for my taste for ELR. The thickness of the MOAR was what prompted me to post in my list in post #1. (.070 or thinner) like the NP-R1. I am just not a thick reticle guy so that puts the NP-R1 way above the MOAR for my taste and use.

I checked stock today and will probably order another 5.5~22x56 NXS NP-R1 ZS HS tomorrow. I agre with you it will be hard to beat for what I want and need.

Jeff

Like I said I am a huge fan of the NXS with a NP-R1 . So it will probably be hard to find something in the under $2500 price range to beat it. I just wanted to look at the options before I pull the trigger in case I have missed something.

Jeff

The h59 grid has 89.338 moa built into it so I guess it falls short. They have an h37 grid that has a lot more drop.

I have a question...

Not to be rude to anyone or disagree with anyone, but what is so special about the NF?
is it the overall package?
I have looked through them and for the price was pretty unimpressed with the glass. I know lots love them, maybe my eyes don't like them, but compared to a lot of other scopes I looked through on the same day, I just wasn't impressed.

I have a question...

Not to be rude to anyone or disagree with anyone, but what is so special about the NF?
is it the overall package?
I have looked through them and for the price was pretty unimpressed with the glass. I know lots love them, maybe my eyes don't like them, but compared to a lot of other scopes I looked through on the same day, I just wasn't impressed.

I believe it is the total package. The best I haveused as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on .25 MOA and always return to zero. The parralex adjustment works great, they have 100 moa of elevation and a good selection of reticles , one for every use. The option of Mils or MOA. Illuminated reicle, and good glass. I have owned many many different brands and I will say that I have seen some clearer but those scopes were all lesser power too. I would give a slight advantage to IOR glass with both scopes on 22X but not enough to sway me. Plus I leave my scopes on 22X most of th time. When I get behind a NXS I have a full view that some don't have.

I am just looking at options but I truely believe that the NXS is the best value for ascope that has everything I need.

If you didn't like the one you looked through I would encouage you to look through another. Make sure it is the NXS model as I don't know about the less expensive Nightforce BR models.

Jeff

i agree with you BROZ on what all they other guys are saying. but i would have to say that imo the NF glass jsut doesn't seem up to par with even the good Leupolds. By this i am talking low light and and lens coatings for glare and light "absorption" I would look at the March scopes a little more. i know that there is not a whole lot of guys that use them, probably because of the pricing, but from all the research i've done it sounds like a solid scope with some of the best available glass in the world (yes, even compared to Swarovski). Kelby's is the only USA dealer for the March scopes

I know the nightforce is hard to beat. If it works good for you, why change? Plus, you're supporting a company here in the U.S.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.