Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

I know the nightforce is hard to beat. If it works good for you, why change? Plus, you're supporting a company here in the U.S.

Great points!!

I will probably order another tomorrow. But I will look at the March scopes a little more tonight. My fear is I don't have the buget to experiment so my mind is pretty much made up I think,, unless I see something that really blows me away.

Jeff

Does nightforce make a 8-36x56 nxs with the NP-R1 reticle?

Yes, I started with a 5.5 ~22 on my 338 LM and changed to a 8x32 but the 32 only has 65 moa of elevation and when I looked at that coupled with the loss of field of view and added mirage at 32X I went back to a 5.5~22.

Jeff

Been reading about the March line up. Seems the only line that is Second Focal Plane if the "F" series and it is a 1/8th moa adjustment and has a low 60 MOA of elevation adjustment. So that is not going to work. Looking more and more like I had the best scope picked out with in my $2500 buget. And it is about $700 below that.:)

Jeff

At least you know what you are going to get with a NF. I love the onew on my rifles and never intend to change.

You know Jeff at first I thought the NF NXS would be your best bet but then I thought about it a little and I thought maybe the NF NXS would suit your needs better but then I really got serious and thought a lot about it and I think the NF NXS would be the best choice.

I don't know, maybe this is one of those times to really go way out on a limb and give the NF NXS a try. It's your money spend it how you want but if it was me I'd go with the NF. :D

Are you on the mend or are you still a couch dog?

Jeff,

Yep, yur probably stuck w/NF.:)

When I was down in Los Alamos the shooter next to me had a NF BR model. Once I figured where to hold my eye to get a full picture it was great. Even greater after parallax and focus were adjusted for my eye.

I was able to hold the reticle center on any part of a dickie bird at 600 yds +.

Doing my prepurchase research I compared Leupold VX-III, Zeiss Conquest and the 5.5-22 NXS.

Using my eyes, the only ones I have, the Zeiss way outdid the Leuy and the NF out did the Zeiss. Relatively speaking the Zeiss was say 4 times better than the Leuy and the NF was twice better than the Zeiss.

The only thing I notice about the NXS is the weight. But then, if not for the weight it wouldn't be what it is.

BTW, came across a couple of Woofs. Was archery hunting thus no shot. ****!

yea, I figured it was more of the whole package.

In a store then outside the store, i looked through many scopes one day, in what I would say was perfect conditions for judging scopes.... end of the day probably an hour or less before dark, rainy cloudy fall day.

I looked thru BR and NXS models, they looked about the same. also, on the NXS, the clicks were not very audible, and felt mushy, at least compared to Leupolds and Zeiss.

Maybe it wasn't the norm for the clicks?

But the glass, was pretty easy, that day, I looked thru a Schmidt and Bender, which was nice, and probably overall a Zeiss Diavari was best, then after that VX-3 and Trijicon were pretty close, Trijicon really surprised me, I did not know they really made scopes, just not much internal adjustment, then for my eyes, I felt that the NF's and the Vortex Viper were more similar.

I thought the Zeiss was in a class of its own, but the Leupold and Trijicon added more contrast and almost brightened up the picture than the NF or some cheaper scopes I looked at.

the NF's were very gray, just plain, did not add any definition or contrast in comparison.

It may just be my eyes, or did I look through a few duds? I know how much people seem to like them.

I'm not sure Jeff, but I thought we agreed that nightforce was the most likely choice. Regardless, I'm gonna order another when I return from hunting :)

--md

I just got a new NF with the MOAR and the dealer said he has heard through the grapevine that NF will eventually offer a thin version of the MOAR as thin or thinner than the NP-R1. He said he thinks they intend to slowly phase out the np-r1 and 2 in favor of a thick and thin MOAR. Don't know if he is in the know or not. I do agree that the MOAR I have is a little thick for 2000+.

Jeff,

Not sure you are going to find many options. The problem you are going to run into is that the manufacturers that can compete with NF are mostly going to be in MIL and/or FFP. It is crazy to me but there is a real gap IMO in the market for the kind of scope you are asking for. And you know me. I am a FFP guy that leans toward MIL but even so it seems crazy that someone else isn't trying to corner this market.

March does make a 1/4 MOA scope with everything you want. The only likely drawback is the objective size of 42mm but the reviews are stellar glass so you may find you don't need more. These are getting excellent reviews from all circles. This is the best site for specs. It is under the compact line. March Scopes Official Site

Also, not sure if you are familiar with this site but this guy is one of the best in the business IMO when it comes to honest, expert write-ups on optics. Read "High End Tactical Scopes East to West, 2, and 3". They should give you a great comparison and idea if anything else will fit your criteria. He is more suited to the tactical side of things but if nothing else he has some great comparisons of the March compact with the 42 mm obj with other high quality scopes you will be familiar with.

Rifle Scopes

My guess is you aren't going to want to go down on glass from what you are used to in the NF so that only really leaves you with a few to choose from anyway.

Premier- As good or better IMO than NF but I think they are all FFP.
IOR- better glass than NF, durability varies between models so do your research
S&B- As good or better all around. I know they make a 1/4 MOA turret and I believe a reticle too but I think they all may be FFP, double check me on that though. And the price may be over your range.
Sightron III will come really close but I don't believe they have a zero stop yet, heard it is in the works, and their reticle has a center dot and me be thicker than you want.

Good Luck!

Scot E.

You are stuck with the NF Jeff :D

I have two at the moment, everything except the glass is fantastic, the glass is average to my eyes.

I have been waiting for a couple of Premiers for a few months now, were supposed to be available last month.....

If you use a big rail, which I guess you will be to shoot way out there, you don't need the Zero Stop model & they are cheaper over here :)

The Marchs seem to be a pretty good scope, but over here they are pricey & the 5 year warrantee doesn't bring me on at all :rolleyes:

I have the 5.5-22 also have a 8-32 like you know it only has 65 minutes but you can zero at a longer range and use a more tappered base? I however think my next one will be a custom ordered US Optic,s with external adjustments, Ckeck them out problem is the features I want it would be over 5K

Been reading about the March line up. Seems the only line that is Second Focal Plane if the "F" series and it is a 1/8th moa adjustment and has a low 60 MOA of elevation adjustment. So that is not going to work. Looking more and more like I had the best scope picked out with in my $2500 buget. And it is about $700 below that.:)

Jeff

I sent Mach an email yesterday as I had never heard of them and am in the market for a new FFP scope they only have 2 here is the email. So that means all the rest are second.

Hi Jonathan,
Yes. 2 models. 3x-24x X 42mm FFP with FML-1 reticle (mil rad) This is a compact scope with 30mm tube. Also the 5x-40x X 56mm FFP with FML-1 reticle. This has 34mm tube. Both models are listed on my website under the Tactical scopes. Drop down menu from "Tactical".

Both in stock in illuminated and non versions.

Regards,
Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.