Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

Most any cartridge will kill deer including the .243 Daughter shot her first deer with that load (95gn.) solid lung shot.
Deer ran 4-500 yards into thick grass and was lost overnight to coyotes. Wouldn't have happened with a bigger round.
Decided never again. Not enough shock with that round. Yes, results vary, but at this point we utilize at least 7mm (.284) around here and typically .30 cal. We've never lost another elk or deer, going on 20 animals straight.

G/L

.243 is a good one for sure. Inside of 300yds I prefer a swift or 22-250 for whitetail.
300 yards max on a .243?? There has been plenty of elk harvested beyond 600 yards with a .243. Don't bring your 22-250 to Colorado for deer because it is illegal to use here.

A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
maybe a better word here would be, FAVORITE whitetail round, not best. many factors can affect what is best for any situation, i including personal preference. not what i use, but i still believe it can be effective. i prefer 260 or 7mm 08 in this class but im not you. i use my 300 wsm on almost all my hunts because i know this gun so well, but it is more than necessary for most whitetail hunting.

I don't think there is any cartridge that I would classify as the best. They all kill just like they were designed to do.
I love my 243, but it's all based on the distance you plan to shoot. Using heavy bullets, it's great out to 500 yds, but I don't consider 500 yds as long-range on this forum.

243 best deer rifle "PFFF! I have watched one of those let the kid "no kick" blow the front leg off & chase to try to finish the deer, lose a deer days.. Nope for me

Holy buck! 14 pages of replies. This OP invites debate. If big-dog-one had asked his Q differently: "Is the .243 'a good' whitetail deer cartridge?" A simple "Yes" would have been enough.
Good reading after I get back from my whitetail hunt 😂
I'm with you Rick! It would certainly be nice for these questions to have an expiry date! Also for Old questions/ threads not to reappear on the highlights page. Len would you consider fixing this? Getting to be too much redundancy IMHO!

.243 Winchester one of the BEST cartridges EVER for Deer. I know several guys that have taken Elk and at camp when field dressed no difference from a 300 win mag or 243. in the Boiler room.
Remington had a great cartridge 6mm Rem, but they couldn't market it correctly and Winchester
243 best deer rifle "PFFF! I have watched one of those let the kid "no kick" blow the front leg off & chase to try to finish the deer, lose a deer days.. Nope for me
Shot placement!!!
took over.