Is something wrong with my chamber?

Glen

I used to be a member here years ago but forgot my login details. This isn't to do with long range either but i thought the intelligent members of LRH.com could help me out (looking in your direction Kirby, Shawn, G'grouper) :D

I recently bought a remington 7615P .223 and have run into something i haven't seen before, my fired cases have a very slight step in them almost like a tiny second shoulder, it starts at the top of the shoulder and extends maybe a millimeter up the neck of the case, I probably wouldn't of noticed the step but it can clearly be seen that the powder residue stops just short of the shoulder.

Is this just something that happens when firing .223 in 5.56mm NATO chambered guns or have i got one with a badly cut chamber?

Thanks guys.

fired_brass.jpg

Glen,

Obviously from the photos, the ammo did not properly match the chamber. What was the source of the ammo that you fired?

Lightvarmint

Yes .

The chamber looks wrong. All most like it was rechambered from something with a different
sholder angle and did not clean up the old one.

I would send this one back to Remingtion for a new barrel and chamber.

J E CUSTOM

The neck area immediately in front of the shoulder is not normal if the cases are as fired, and haven't been resized. That area of the case is being fire-formed to the actual shape of the chamber. I would call Remington, or email their tech support and find out if they shaped the chamber that way for a reason, and if so, what reason. If it's not done that way on purpose, they need to take it back and fix it. If you have doubts and think it might be the ammo, shoot some different ammo and check it before you contact them. But my money is on the chamber and any ammo you shoot in it is going to look like that.

From the pictures, it doesn't look unsafe to fire, but it doesn't look right either. You need an answer from Remington.

Good luck, Tom

Thanks guys!

The brass in the pic is from freashly fired Winchester 55gr factory loads and the same thing happens with Lapua and Federal.

I sent an e-mail off to remington 2 days ago so hopefully they'll get back to me soon.

Aside from the chamber it seems like a nice little gun, Granted it won't put 5 into 15mm at 200y like my savage will but for game up to 60kg out to 200y it does nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts