Is shot placement more important than bullets?

No one here will intentionally pick the wrong bullet or intentionally not aim for best shot placement.
I dunno, plenty of people seem quite eager to call some bullets unethical for hunting use, while others use them to stack carcasses. And some even think that poor shot placement is okay, as long as they are shooting the right bullet. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I dunno, plenty of people seem quite eager to call some bullets unethical for hunting use, while others use them to stack carcasses. And some even think that poor shot placement is okay, as long as they are shooting the right bullet. 🤷🏼‍♂️

OMG! Here we go again, you seem to keep circling back.

Last edited:
Haven't read the whole thread but,

Put a poor bullet (fmj, AP, etc.) Into the correct area (heart,lungs or brain) and the animal will die. It may take some time but it will eventually happen. Conversely if you put the best bullet (accubond, aframe, sst, etc) in the wrong spot (hoof, leg, etc) the animal could well survive.

Of course the best idea is to put a good bullet in the correct place, this then results in a quick clean kill.

So I guess that's my long winded way of saying yes shot placement is more important than the bullet.

Shot placement is the name of the game. Close only counts in horseshoes, and hand grenades. I've done it and hurry a shot or two. learn to slow down and make the first count. Mostly one shot kills now. Every shot I make I roll it over in my mind afterwards to see if there wasn't something I could have done better.

Hey Nunu! No need to bring airguns into this disastrous thread if you still think of airguns as that Red Ryder you couldn't shoot straight as a kid. Some of us hunt big game, Bison, Elk, Big Horn, Black Bear, Boar and occasionally a little deer with them these days: quackenbushairguns.com. http://www.bigboreairguns.com/ or http://www.bigboreairguns.com/

I hunt with .308, .458 and .575 pistols and air rifles!

Show some RESPECT! LOL
Shootski, I was just trying to emphasize the importance of shot placement over the bullets. If my example offended you or anyone here, my apologies. Never intend to be disrespectful or I was trying to bring a discussion on airgun. May be I should have used a .22 instead. I'm a big caliber lover too. Thanks.