Is shot placement more important than bullets?

Only in Never Never Land...

Im not downplaying the importance of proper bullet section but don't agree with shot Placement and Bullet selection being equal, which was the OP's question.

2 questions

1. can a bad projectile kill with good shot placement? Yes

2. Can a great projectile kill if it doesn't hit its target? No

Polars bears have been killed with a 22LR with proper shot placement but a 700 Nitro Express won't be enough bullet to kill a tree squirrel if you can't hit it.

Last edited:
Yes. Except it's way more important than your opinion..., at least to me.
Legendary_3866b6_1374726.jpg

Personally I've seen more good placement, with the "WRONG" bullet leave the rails, then I have, "GOOD" bullets being placed poorly causing issue.

Polar bear hunts are like $60,000, not many taking a .22LR to emulate some lucky Inuit. I say lucky as not every 200-250lb pig in a pen succumbs to such a shot.

Being as I start a hunt by selecting an appropriate firearm, and ammunition, before there is any shot opportunity put me on the side of controlling the things that can be controlled.

I remember O'Connor arguing shoulder shots could be ignored, as the average hunter didn't know where it was located any way. If you can't hit it on purpose out do you miss it on purpose.

Good bullets open up different placement possibilities.

Just me.

Personally I've seen more good placement, with the "WRONG" bullet leave the rails, then I have, "GOOD" bullets being placed poorly causing issue.

Polar bear hunts are like $60,000, not many taking a .22LR to emulate some lucky Inuit. I say lucky as not every 200-250lb pig in a pen succumbs to such a shot.

Being as I start a hunt by selecting an appropriate firearm, and ammunition, before there is any shot opportunity put me on the side of controlling the things that can be controlled.

I remember O'Connor arguing shoulder shots could be ignored, as the average hunter didn't know where it was located any way. If you can't hit it on purpose out do you miss it on purpose.

Good bullets open up different placement possibilities.

Just me.

Well said, Sir! Paragraph 3 re-emphasizes what I previously noted.

Im not downplaying the importance of proper bullet section but don't agree with shot Placement and Bullet selection being equal, which was the OP's question.

2 questions

1. can a bad projectile kill with good shot placement? Yes

2. Can a great projectile kill if it doesn't hit its target? No

Polars bears have been killed with a 22LR with proper shot placement but a 700 Nitro Express won't be enough bullet to kill a tree squirrel if you can't hit it.

You seem to complicate it unnecessarily. Bullet choice is made long before your opportunity for shot placement. In my case, bullet choice(s) are made before my build. Bullet choice(s) is something the "NUT" behind the trigger has full control over. Shot placement involves many factors; most of which can affect shot placement. No one is disputing the importance of shot placement but so is the importance of a good bullet for the intended purpose.

You seem to complicate it unnecessarily. Bullet choice is made long before your opportunity for shot placement. In my case, bullet choice(s) are made before my build. Bullet choice(s) is something the "NUT" behind the trigger has full control over. Shot placement involves many factors; most of which can affect shot placement. No one is disputing the importance of shot placement but so is the importance of a good bullet for the intended purpose.

I thought it was a fairly simple explanation actually, but I agree with you, bullet choice is made prior to the build, and when making that choice, both external and terminal performance is taken into consideration. Thats where you make your bullet choice, so yes, bullet choice comes first, but after that's out of the way, you still need to be able to put the bullet where It needs to go. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter what bullet you're shooting.

You can see just right here on this forum the wide variety of bullet selections people are using with success. From jacketed match / target bullets, jacketed "hunting" bullets, solids and the tried and true classics like the Core Lokts, Accubonds and Partitions. They'll all kill if the shot goes where it needs to. Some more effectively that others of course but small compromises in terminal performance are accepted in favor of external performance and vice versa all based on the individual shooters needs. Some guys swear by nothing less than a 300WM to kill elk and there's others that are stacking them up with a 6mm.

IMO It's pretty hard now days with the quality of bullets being produced and the amount of experience with them, to choose a "bad" bullet.

Im not arguing with you, just discussing different views. I don't really think there's
a "wrong" answer here.The 2 are so interlinked with each other that it's hard to do one without the other.

Last edited:
I thought it was a fairly simple explanation actually, but I agree with you, bullet choice is made prior to the build, and when making that choice, both external and terminal performance is taken into consideration. Thats where you make your bullet choice, so yes, bullet choice comes first, but after that's out of the way, you still need to be able to put the bullet where It needs to go. If you can't do that, it doesn't matter what bullet you're shooting.

You can see just right here on this forum the wide variety of bullet selections people are using with success. From jacketed match / target bullets, jacketed "hunting" bullets, solids and the tried and true classics like the Core Lokts, Accubonds and Partitions. They'll all kill if the shot goes where it needs to. Some more effectively that others of course but small compromises in terminal performance are accepted in favor of external performance and vice versa all based on the individual shooters needs. Some guys swear by nothing less than a 300WM to kill elk and there's others that are stacking them up with a 6mm.

IMO It's pretty hard now days with the quality of bullets being produced and the amount of experience with them, to choose a "bad" bullet.

Im not arguing with you, just discussing different views. I don't really think there's
a "wrong" answer here.The 2 are so interlinked with each other that it's hard to do one without the other.

No one here will intentionally pick the wrong bullet or intentionally not aim for best shot placement. Does less than ideal shot placement happen? Oh heck yeah, more than most of us will ever admit. Will a good bullet on a bad shot placement helps? Oh heck yeah! Paul (@phorwath) tried to explain it but some are not as receptive. Like it or not, it is warranted.

As "I" previously noted, the "NUT" behind the trigger has the ultimate responsibility for both.

Last edited:
No one here will intentionally pick the wrong bullet or intentionally not aim for best shot placement. Does less than ideal shot placement happens? Oh heck yeah, more than most of will admit. Will a good bullet on a bad shot placement? Oh heck yeah! Paul (@phorwath) tried to explain it but some are not as receptive. Like it or not, it is warranted.

As "I" previously noted, the "NUT" behind the trigger has the ultimate responsibility for both.

Agreed!