Is shot placement more important than bullets?

now that I have read most of the thread, what was it about again???

Yeah, bullet placement matters and is #1 on my list. I grew up hunting deer with a 22lr. We lived on a farm and didn't have a lot of money and the deer were eating our livelyhood, so we ate them. I don't recall a deer ever getting away from the 22lr, or even taking a step after getting shot. They ALL dropped right there and that was it. How many deer? No idea. Probably hundreds over the years. All were drt and all were shot with the 22lr.

I still have a 22lr....and a 22-250. The 22-250 will reach out further and will do a great job with neck and chest shots too, not just head shots. Most of my deer now are shot with arrows because I like the low stress of bowhunting. Longer season, warmer weather, less pressure on the deer. Anyway.....

Bullet quality doesn't matter if you can't put the bullet where it needs to go. If you are not able to put that bullet in the right spot, practice until you can or go home. Too many people shoot AT the deer hoping to hit it.
If you can't stay in your lane, you don't get to drive, and a car lets you have control all the way to the target. A bullet doesn't give you that ability. Once you let it go, it's gone and there is nothing you can do about it. Put it in the right place and it does the job.

If you need practice, try shooting a 22lr at 200 or 300 yards. If you can do that accurately you won't have any trouble with a centerfire. And yes, I have and still do shoot 22lr at 200-300 yards. Over 10,000 rounds so far. Longest kill with the 22lr was a pest bird at 191 yards, one shot, hit the dirt hard. His buddy lost a pile of feathers and managed to fly off. Not sure if he died. A 22lr on a small bird is about the same as a person or deer getting hit with a beer can sized projectile. On the second bird, was it the wrong bullet or was it bad bullet placement? The bullet was only a 1/2" off, but that was enough to only wound the bird or just take feathers.

I'm pretty sure the bullet failed because it still hit the bird.....🙄

It wouldn't have mattered if I was shooting a 300 win mag, the shot placement was not good on the second bird.

Last edited: