Is quality brass worth it in a AR platform?

It's all in what you do with them. I feed cheap stuff through my close range guns and good ammo through the better barreled ones. Doesn't seem to matter in a gun that groups 4 or 6 moa but those sub-moa guns care.

It's all in what you do with them. I feed cheap stuff through my close range guns and good ammo through the better barreled ones. Doesn't seem to matter in a gun that groups 4 or 6 moa but those sub-moa guns care.
It's a guaranteed moa gun so I guess it deserves the good stuff and many a brass catcher

It's a guaranteed moa gun so I guess it deserves the good stuff and many a brass catcher

I've never used a brass catcher but might soon. My two most recent builds are the only ar's I've had that don't beat the brass up super hard. I learned that light carriers/buffers and less gas is my favorite recipe

I guess in the name of reliability they over gas and tear up the brass.

The range brass I pick up from AR platform rifles (6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 300 BlackOut and 224V) are all chew'd up around the base. I struggle to get many cases into the shell holder. It takes about three firing before all the rough edges are rubbed off and I can process the brass easier.

I guess in the name of reliability they over gas and tear up the brass.

The range brass I pick up from AR platform rifles (6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, 300 BlackOut and 224V) are all chew'd up around the base. I struggle to get many cases into the shell holder. It takes about three firing before all the rough edges are rubbed off and I can process the brass easier.

Thats exactly right, more gas means it doesn't care about ammo or if there is a can on the gun etc, Jamming and FTF or FTE earn bad reviews from most. That reliability comes at a price that your brass has to pay, the guns that throw brass 17 miles away are a good example of excessive gas.

yep tune the gun to the load.
lots of things to adjust
like the ejector spring length to put the brass at your feet, not 20 feet away

This is something that I am guilty of being lazy with. I need to shorten a few ejector springs to make the dents smaller lol.

the bbl extention is rock hard and tuff to polish. if they would just polish the corner life would be much nicer for some of us

I have thought about taking mine off and polishing it a few times. Would make lots of things better, like cleaning and those harsh scratches on the case as it comes out. Just have to pull the pin and unscrew it. But it's probably more pain than it's worth once everything is together.

I doubt you have the tools to polish a HARDENED chunk of tuff steel.
been there and tried.
I have thought about taking mine off and polishing it a few times. Would make lots of things better, like cleaning and those harsh scratches on the case as it comes out. Just have to pull the pin and unscrew it. But it's probably more pain than it's worth once everything is together.

several things that will limit ar brass from getting chewed up
1st is a good front adjustable gas block-- and actually use it--dont just "set it and forget it"
upload_2019-11-15_8-56-31.jpeg

2nd would be a piece of soft self stick velcro stuck to the brass deflector right where your brass hits
upload_2019-11-15_8-54-3.jpeg

3rd is a decent but not too expensive brass catcher --this one has a bracket you bolt to your pic rail and then the brass catcher is easily removed or swapped over to another ar rifle

779085.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.