Is N570 temp stable?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jonthomps, Jul 30, 2015.

1. jonthomps

jonthomps Well-Known Member

Can someone help me out: My 300NM seems to really like N570, but I don't have a lot of experience with it. Does anyone know how temperature stable it is?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have been using VV N570 for a couple years now in my 338 Terminator. I have had no issues with the velocity in summer or winter and have started documenting Velocities at different temps. What I have found so far is, that when both ammo and rifle are allowed to cool to ambient temps, I actually picked up a little velocity in extreme cold conditions. This held true for a cold bore and a follow up. Rifle and ammo was left outside for over an hour for each test. I believe the slight gain in velocity was from the contraction of the barrel and believe the VV N 570 to be pretty temp stable by itself.

Jeff

3. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

Very stable in my 7STW. Plan on using it in my 28 Nosler when I get it back from the smith.

4. JeffVN

JeffVN Well-Known Member

I concur; back when I had some of the unobtainium powder it worked fine here in Las Vegas and the surrounding desert. No problems, but I developed my load during the summer.

JeffVN

5. jonthomps

That's great news, thanks. I was a little worried that velocities might swing wildly with temps. What are you guys seeing for velocity variations in different temps? 10-20fps? 30-50fps?

6. jonthomps

Just a quick heads up - Powder Valley has N570 in stock right now!