Is my pattern good enough?For turkey season

460or338

Maverick 88 with a Wilson .650 choke.Winchester Hv turkey loads #5 1 3/4 oz @

1300 fps @ 40 yards 10" circle

outintheyard878-1.jpg

Dont laugh @ my first circle .I was excited after shooting and my hand was not steady

outintheyard871.jpg

Black one is a 3" HV turkey load #5 shot the red is a 3.5" 18 00b

outintheyard698.jpg

My maverick 88 with .650 Wilson choke top gun is a stoeger p-350.The 88 is one of the smoothest pump's your can buy.well at least i think so anyway

I would recomend getting a target with a full size turkeys head on it and try that
because even though you may have a good shot count for a 10" circle you are
looking for a uniform pattern density (No holes large enough for the turkeys head
or neck to go UN damaged.

With the turkey head target you can also pick the best aiming point. I like to aim at
the head so I don't shoot up the breast. some aim at the center of the neck so they
get as many shot in the turkey as possible. but with 2 1/4 oz loads that is not a problem
for me.

Some times different brands of shotgun shells can produce better shot densities
than others in the same choke. also shot size can greatly effect the pattern densities

I tried every brand of turkey loads on a turkey target and found a huge difference
and even though I may prefer one brand over I will always pick the best in my shot
gun with the chokes I have.

Buy doing this I have extended my effective range from 45 yards to 65yards and that
can be important later in the season.

Good luck and give it a try.

J E CUSTOM

Got to love those HV's. They are the only one that works in my Benelli's. That pattern is pretty good.

I've taken one bird at more than 30 yards(45) and that was because he had wooped me for 2 years and the shot was as good as I felt I was ever going to get.

No need for 65 yard shots(and no malice intended with that comment). I think you are ready to go as far as I'm concerned.

Heck, the testing and preparation are the best part of turkey hunting.

Have fun, Grin

I finally made the switch last year to Hevi. and I'm glad I did...Got another 10yds of effective range (should I ever need it) and a nice even spread with a Primos ported. Too bad they won't hold still and let you to put in the cheap 2.75" lead when you have the easy 15yd shots right??
I still can't get over the $$$ of the new stuff though. It's almost laughable what you pay for 5 rounds. I'm glad 10 rounds last me several years:rolleyes:

i wen to bind typed in turkey target and printed lol .the new hevi-shot mangum blend in 3.5" has a layer of cottons seeds for buffer....... i seen where a guy on oldgobbler did a review and cut it open and walla cotton seeds.If i was going to pay $$$ id buy winchesters longe range hd .Hell i seen that pattern at 90 yards .Lead just more suited for the type of hunting/shooting :D i do

oh yeah i hope to move on to 3.5" 2 3/8 oz nickel plated turkey loads there made my fioochi

If you want to try the ultimate turkey load, give this site a look: Nitro Ammunition Company ~ Superior Shotgun Ammo They're pricey but in all the shooting i've done in the past years nothing has come close. I average 270 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds with 3.5's in 4x5lead x 7 hevi in a 1200fps and 2 5/8 oz. shot. I've read where the new Hevi 13 (2 1/4 oz. 3.5) is close to that, but also close in price. I have some in size 6 to try when the weather breaks. Also hope to try the Hevi 13 in size 7 this spring. I think I've gone as far as i can with this 835 anyway. Now i'm starting to work on a 870 in 20 ga this spring also. Am i nuts or what.

iu know all about nitro etc .i just like ma winchesters to much not because they pattern good but because u just like red hulls gun)

HighKnob, that's pretty awesome patterning, what choke tube you usin'? Another shell you might want to try is the Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range HD Turkey loads, they pattern awesome. I was getting about 48 pellets in a HEAD AND NECK target (printed on 8.5x11" paper) of a turkey, @ 40 yds. The load I'm using is only a 3" 1-3/4 oz. #5 load. They're a little pricey tho lol. But... I figure @ one turkey per shot isn't that bad :D.

The hulls are black tho, and the head is nickel :D. Just figured black might be a turn off LOL.

Last edited:
Here is a pattern from my 11-87 Super Mag 12 ga 3.5" magnum using a Pure Gold .670 choke and Hevi 13 Mag Blend.
Shot at 40 yds with a Red Dot scope. 198 hits in a 10" circle. Temp was 61 deg with a slight cross breeze.
H13MagBlend3512ga40yds.jpg

I made a slight adjustment and will verify my target and post results.

JD338

I'm using a Lohman 680 i believe in my 835. It has the long straight section 2" after the choke section........extends about 1.5" past the end of the barrel. I have always used the winchester hi velocity 4's for my back up loads. Killed a nice gobbler in Tn this spring with one of those.

i wen to bind typed in turkey target and printed lol .the new hevi-shot mangum blend in 3.5" has a layer of cottons seeds for buffer....... i seen where a guy on oldgobbler did a review and cut it open and walla cotton seeds.If i was going to pay $$$ id buy winchesters longe range hd .Hell i seen that pattern at 90 yards .Lead just more suited for the type of hunting/shooting :D i do
90 yards. I don't know what to say about that. 90 yards.