Is my Bergara Bergarbage?

I'm so ****ing done with this. NightForce said the optic is fine and shipped it back. They suggested it was just loose ....despite having watched a good smith mount and level it to specified torque settings, having it remounted by another qualified smith just in case, and checked by a third.

I can't even sell this **** with a good conscience and I am beyond out of patience.

I'm so ****ing done with this. NightForce said the optic is fine and shipped it back. They suggested it was just loose ....despite having watched a good smith mount and level it to specified torque settings, having it remounted by another qualified smith just in case, and checked by a third.

I can't even sell this **** with a good conscience and I am beyond out of patience.

So are you thinking the rifle is good, but the scope/rings are the problem? Sorry for asking, I have read every post but not recently. I don't even know you but I feel so badly for you. It's one thing to buy cutrate gear and try to save some money, lnowing you may not get top level performance. It's another thing completely to buy good gear, have to chase your tail and have the manufacturers not back up their gear.

Edit: I just re-read the last few pages and I refreshed myself on your situation. I'm glad the rifle turned out well, and I'm sorry NF apparently isn't going to do the right thing. I guess the last step would be to mount the NF on a rifle known to be problem-free, just to confirm the scope is the problem.

I don't know how long ago or who you bought the NF from. There's some online dealers that contribute on this forum, like the Cameraland and others. If you bought from them, maybe they would take the NF as a trade-in as good faith. Just a thought.

Last edited:
So are you thinking the rifle is good, but the scope/rings are the problem? Sorry for asking, I have read every post but not recently. I don't even know you but I feel so badly for you. It's one thing to buy cutrate gear and try to save some money, lnowing you may not get top level performance. It's another thing completely to buy good gear, have to chase your tail and have the manufacturers not back up their gear.
I honestly don't know what to think. Can rings somehow be defective? The optic was 100% not loose in the rings or on the rifle.

I have the worst luck ever. Previously I've had an ACOG go bad in the middle of the hunt (prism came loose and shot minute of barn) and 2 defective Elcans straight from the factory. Not to mention a Surefire 600DF also defective out of the box(just got it back), a PMM fore end rail that was out of spec and got stuck on my SCAR17, a bolt catch that was forged wrong and got stuck and wouldn't come out without being drilled permanently screwing up a lower. The Bergara being out of spec(They did say regardless of the optic defect it needed to be recut) And several other similar issues...

I don't buy garbage quality gun stuff. But if there's a 1 in a million chance of a defective product from a reputable mfg I will get it.

You have had way more patience than I. Wish I could help but logistically not feasible. Far as I go on factory rifles and components is new bedding and crown. Trigger adjustment and load development. If it don't shoot it probably never will. Your so vested in this one I don't know what to tell you. But any 399 Remington 700 Tupperware stock would out shoot this gun without breaking a sweat. Any 399 Savage would too. I thought for sure the CEO would have made this right already. Maybe it's time to cut your losses. After this thread there are 2 losers. You and bergara. That's sad.
Shep

Yes. Rings can be defective. I just went through that with a friends 26 nos. Steiner scope and expensive rings. Ended up being the rings.

as a suggestion, go find your nearest shooting club. Look at the trophy wall and then go seek out the club championship winner. Give them the scope. Give the second place winner the rifle. The third place winner the rings. This will give you answers and perhaps more questions too.
just my 2c.

I honestly don't know what to think. Can rings somehow be defective? The optic was 100% not loose in the rings or on the rifle.

I have the worst luck ever. Previously I've had an ACOG go bad in the middle of the hunt (prism came loose and shot minute of barn) and 2 defective Elcans straight from the factory. Not to mention a Surefire 600DF also defective out of the box(just got it back), a PMM fore end rail that was out of spec and got stuck on my SCAR17, a bolt catch that was forged wrong and got stuck and wouldn't come out without being drilled permanently screwing up a lower. The Bergara being out of spec(They did say regardless of the optic defect it needed to be recut) And several other similar issues...

I don't buy garbage quality gun stuff. But if there's a 1 in a million chance of a defective product from a reputable mfg I will get it.
Don't feel bad, I've had some turds myself. I've polished on a few turds for way too long before going a different route.

If I am not mistaken you only shot one group with the tasco scope if this is correct it really tells you nothing the NF might have been fine I believe you have rifle problems put the NF on a proven rifle and try it this should tell you if its the scope or rifle i hate seeing anyone have the problems you are

Night Force is excellent to deal with. If they checked the scope over and say it is 100% them I would believe. Lots of others, no, but NF yes. Put it on a gun you know shoots, using different rings and try it. My bet is it will shoot just fine. If it does, put different rings on the Begara and remount the NF. Try some groups. This is a process of elimination and you have done a lot of work to get to where you are. The good news is, you are down to a very limited range of possible issues. Gun is good, at least by all indications, scope is good - to be double verified, so rings and screws is about the only things left.

Some turds are actually good. Like the little monkey turds with the coffee beans in them. Turd rifles not so much.
The company should have just sent you a new rifle and this thread would have been done. But no they get their name dragged through the dirt more and more because they didn't do the right thing. I say keep dragging till they respond appropriately. Everyone on this thread has time vested to this and is waiting for the final outcome. We're not going anywhere. Bergara send this guy a rifle that shoots. Be a hero not a zero.
Shep

Some turds are actually good. Like the little monkey turds with the coffee beans in them. Turd rifles not so much.
The company should have just sent you a new rifle and this thread would have been done. But no they get their name dragged through the dirt more and more because they didn't do the right thing. I say keep dragging till they respond appropriately. Everyone on this thread has time vested to this and is waiting for the final outcome. We're not going anywhere. Bergara send this guy a rifle that shoots. Be a hero not a zero.
Shep
It is actually a wild Civet Cat that poops out the coffee beans.🐱 Coffee is called Kopi Luwak.

Last edited:
Come on down to Texas and let's shoot some handguns. No scopes or rings needed. In all seriousness I do feel badly for your experience— I have been following every post in this thread.

It does happen to all of us at one point or another with some component that we would have surely thought would be the last item to go bad.

You have had way more patience than I. Wish I could help but logistically not feasible. Far as I go on factory rifles and components is new bedding and crown. Trigger adjustment and load development. If it don't shoot it probably never will. Your so vested in this one I don't know what to tell you. But any 399 Remington 700 Tupperware stock would out shoot this gun without breaking a sweat. Any 399 Savage would too. I thought for sure the CEO would have made this right already. Maybe it's time to cut your losses. After this thread there are 2 losers. You and bergara. That's sad.
Shep
Shep, have you read the last couple of pages of comments? I'm pretty sure that he's staying his issue ended up being his optic, not his rifle. I'm hip to hip with him in standing by our product and offered to send him a loaner Zeiss scope until he can find a replacement. Not sure what else one could expect from a firearms manufacturer. -Nate "the CEO"