Is my Bergara Bergarbage?

When I posted earlier I missed the part about this group being shot off a Lead Sled. I do agree with the other posters, the gun needs to be shot by a good shot with proper rest and support. A lead sled is not great for testing groups or anything else. I would never use one on any gun.

When I posted earlier I missed the part about this group being shot off a Lead Sled. I do agree with the other posters, the gun needs to be shot by a good shot with proper rest and support. A lead sled is not great for testing groups or anything else. I would never use one on any gun.
'
If you think it's you, have another shooter give it a go.

I definitely need another shooter. I thought I posted it but I shot it off a bipod and bag. 16 rounds and they were all garbage. I'm not recoil sensitive.

I really don't understand. I'm glad I had people shoot it before because obviously it wasn't shooting to their guarantee. But I'm contributing too.

What can I be lacking going from say a .308 shooting great then sucking with a mag?

Heres the bipod and bag groups...embarrassing.

Attachments

• 88C1FE68-30E0-44D6-8F01-40E5EAA15546.jpeg
    88C1FE68-30E0-44D6-8F01-40E5EAA15546.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
I definitely need another shooter. I thought I posted it but I shot it off a bipod and bag. 16 rounds and they were all garbage. I'm not recoil sensitive.

I really don't understand. I'm glad I had people shoot it before because obviously it wasn't shooting to their guarantee. But I'm contributing too.

What can I be lacking going from say a .308 shooting great then sucking with a mag?

Heres the bipod and bag groups...embarrassing.
What is the date of that target ?

Dang, I would grab another rifle to shoot just to restore my confidence.
I did. Another 300WM. It didn't restore my confidence....Same results. Granted the scope was 1/4 the power and far lower quality but still.

I don't understand. On another caliber rifle I can tell when I throw a shot. This one they all feel 100% until I see the target. I'm not letting go or jerking through the recoil. What changes on magnums to cause this?

Magnums are much harder to shoot accurately because of recoil and recoil alone. You need to hold them tighter which is hard to do exactly the same each time. They move in the bags more which means you need to reposition each time. They heat up quicker also. But mainly it's hard to keep your shooting form perfect when the gun wants to move you and it around. Brakes make them alot more manageable not just because it kicks you less but because the gun stays more still in the bags and doesn't change your position on the gun alot. Magnums need a shooter that has great table manners to shoot good.
Shep

It doesn't matter if your recoil shy or not. The physical movement whether it hurts or not is always going to need repositioned each shot. Consistent holds and placement in the bags will give you what you want. Try and keep your grip and cheek pressure the same. Also use a stop on your front rest so you have the same pressure on your forearm. If you don't have a stop use a reference on your stock or a piece of tape to make sure your gun is in the same place each time. If you use a bipod you need to have a forward press on it each time. Or pulled back in a reverse press. Then do it the same each shot. Forward press is easiest but I've had better accuacy with a reverse pull on the legs. See everything I'm talking about is consistently doing the exact same thing each shot. Be conscious of the thing next time you shoot and you will get better.
Shep

I will 2nd that bigger Mags are just harder to shoot. I have to concentrate more and really talk myself thru the trigger squeeze. It is a from recoil and the huge muzzle blast. You might try shooting at 300 yards on steel of something different to change your focus.

I did. Another 300WM. It didn't restore my confidence....Same results. Granted the scope was 1/4 the power and far lower quality but still.

I don't understand. On another caliber rifle I can tell when I throw a shot. This one they all feel 100% until I see the target. I'm not letting go or jerking through the recoil. What changes on magnums to cause this?
I would try a non magnum. Now this is going to sound stupid, but do you wear corrective lenses/glasses ?

I would try a non magnum. Now this is going to sound stupid, but do you wear corrective lenses/glasses ?
It's been almost a year but that last time I shot I used my SCAR17 in .308 with an Elcan 9x and was shooting 1moa max consistently with vet frequent sub MOA groups.

I had corrective surgery (Lasik) but do have an astigmatism. It didn't effect me then outside using RDS sights that looked like a starburst.

So to make sure I'm understanding- the recoil management on a magnum is more of a vice like wrenching down with bipod loading, cheek weld, and shoulder pressure? I've been keeping steady pressure consistently but not trying to muscle it super hard. After the shot breaks it does go crazy and I expect to have to do a lot of repositioning. Even in the sled.

FWIW I kept my break and suppressor off for this test to eliminate any other factors. Maybe putting them back on would help. Although as I mentioned I fired on an empty chamber by accident and had no flinch so I don't imagine I'm anticipating the shot.

I would certainly recommend putting the brake back on, and possibly the suppressor. But at least the brake, to minimize the movement the rifle is wanting to make.

Recent Posts