Is my Bergara Bergarbage?

I'm still curious as to what they mean about recutting the chamber. Find out what was wrong with the previous chamber and exactly what they did to fix it.
Shep
I called again. Still nothing noted on what they found, however he said them reaming the chamber means it was probably out of spec and a couple thou too small.

When I asked about a rebarreling he said that was "infinitely more expensive than just recutting it."

Hope it shoots well. Lesson learned though, which I too learned the hard way. My Super Grade Model 70 had the barrel and action misaligned and would never have worked. Glass bedded, special cleaners as I used copper bullets, scads of different loadings. Finally Kirby blueprinted it and slapped on a Lilja (back when the old man ran the company) and that probably cost less than I had spent before. But that was a Model 70 CRF, great trigger, and (by luck) gorgeous stock. Bergara isn't worth that.

Buy a box of their recommended premium ammo, you and your sniper buddy shoot it; if it works, well and good if not send it back. Life's too short. Tikka Father's day sale coming up I bet.

Last edited:
I called again. Still nothing noted on what they found, however he said them reaming the chamber means it was probably out of spec and a couple thou too small.

When I asked about a rebarreling he said that was "infinitely more expensive than just recutting it."
Their evasiveness is why I asked if they could have rebarreled it. Kinda like they didn't want admit to a stupid mistake that was uncorrectable by reaming and just fitted a replacement. But by the answer shown above, that doesn't seem to be the case. Good! ( that is as long as it is fixed/improved).

Their evasiveness is why I asked if they could have rebarreled it. Kinda like they didn't want admit to a stupid mistake that was uncorrectable by reaming and just fitted a replacement. But by the answer shown above, that doesn't seem to be the case. Good! ( that is as long as it is fixed/improved).
Definitely will be buying a box of exactly what they used and shooting 20 rounds minimum to check. Skeptical of this so far. Unless it was a combination of an out of spec chamber, crown, and had chrono I wouldn't think this would fix it.
200fps ES from that? My chrono isn't the best but the ES on my handgun rounds registered correctly.

It'll be here tomorrow... will report back.

A small chamber would not cause accuracy issues unless it's so small that you have to force the bolt to close on factory ammo. Small can be 2 different things. Length and diameter. Diameter is controlled by the reamer dimensions but length is a tollerence. So did they not check the chamber with go and no-go guages when the barrel was installed? If the chamber was too short neither guage would have allowed the bolt to close. That's poor gunsmithing. A reamer that has worn down enough to measure a difference would not have even cut the chamber. I'm not sold on them having done anything to your chamber. The only cost difference between pulling a barrel and putting on a new one is the cost of the barrel and finishing. Working on a barrel that is already chambered is much more time consuming to get dialed into the lathe unless your just going to polish it. But most oem barrels are put into a collet and run. So not very much work in that. To me it really wouldn't matter what they did to it as long as it shoots good. You will know soon enough. I really hope it shoots great and your issues are over.
Shep

The doubt and questions raised in these posts give all the more reason to have a chamber cast on purchase and if a problem arises, regardless of brand .

Ms. Letha
Definitely will be buying a box of exactly what they used and shooting 20 rounds minimum to check. Skeptical of this so far. Unless it was a combination of an out of spec chamber, crown, and had chrono I wouldn't think this would fix it.
200fps ES from that? My chrono isn't the best but the ES on my handgun rounds registered correctly.

It'll be here tomorrow... will report back.
A small chamber would not cause accuracy issues unless it's so small that you have to force the bolt to close on factory ammo. Small can be 2 different things. Length and diameter. Diameter is controlled by the reamer dimensions but length is a tollerence. So did they not check the chamber with go and no-go guages when the barrel was installed? If the chamber was too short neither guage would have allowed the bolt to close. That's poor gunsmithing. A reamer that has worn down enough to measure a difference would not have even cut the chamber. I'm not sold on them having done anything to your chamber. The only cost difference between pulling a barrel and putting on a new one is the cost of the barrel and finishing. Working on a barrel that is already chambered is much more time consuming to get dialed into the lathe unless your just going to polish it. But most oem barrels are put into a collet and run. So not very much work in that. To me it really wouldn't matter what they did to it as long as it shoots good. You will know soon enough. I really hope it shoots great and your issues are over.
Shep

Last edited:
Four shots from a sled with the 185 grain burgers they used to test it

Attachments

• B7452393-FAEE-492F-90D2-120C06EE3C31.jpeg
    B7452393-FAEE-492F-90D2-120C06EE3C31.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
Four shots from a sled with the 185 grain burgers they used to test it

That sure doesn't look like a sub MOA group to me, since I presume the squares are 1" on a side. I would be demanding a refund at this point. Did you happen to measure the ES when you were doing this? Did you manage to get hold of the CEO for a man on man chat.

That sure doesn't look like a sub MOA group to me, since I presume the squares are 1" on a side. I would be demanding a refund at this point.
I don't know what's going on. A sled should take just about everything but sight picture and trigger pull out of the equation right? I shot at an indoor range so there was no wind.

i'm going to have to be honest here and say some of it has to be me. Shooting prone with a bipod and bag my shots were much wider. I have no idea why. I'm a decent shot and can definitely shoot sub MOA with other calibers such as .308.

I shot one a surprise empty chamber and had no flinch. RSO watched me and said I didn't jerk the trigger. I'm lost. No point In even developing a load with these groups and I don't feel like paying $3 a shot after all this.

From the group you show now which looks like about 1.1 inches compared to your 3 inch groups you had I would say the accuracy has improved alot. A rifle shooting 1 inch with factory ammo can be made to shoot much better with handloads. I'd break the barrel in and do some load development. Looks like it wants to shoot now.
Shep

I don't know what's going on. A sled should take just about everything but sight picture and trigger pull out of the equation right? I shot at an indoor range so there was no wind.

i'm going to have to be honest here and say some of it has to be me. Shooting prone with a bipod and bag my shots were much wider. I have no idea why. I'm a decent shot and can definitely shoot sub MOA with other calibers such as .308.

I shot one a surprise empty chamber and had no flinch. RSO watched me and said I didn't jerk the trigger. I'm lost. No point In even developing a load with these groups and I don't feel like paying $3 a shot after all this.

Until you shoot the gun off of some bags you can't tell any thing about groups lead sleds are snake oil if a person is sensitive to recoil you work your way through it or get another hobby including me a rifle needs to have free recoil straight back not jumping straight up because you have it shov