Is my Bergara Bergarbage?

I guess we'll never know on this one. Bergara said they don't know what the problem was but after they recut the crown and the chamber with their precision line of tools the 3 three round groups they shot were from .4-.9 MOA. Same barrel and everything coming back.

I'm guessing my fire formed brass will be close enough to not resize everything? Wouldn't cutting a chamber already to spec larger make it less precise?

Super frustrated. Review of this rifle and reading past experiences make it look fine, but I'm wondering if my barrel is defective? I did a proper break in procedure.

Bergara B14 HMR in 300WinMag. Gunwerks brass that's now on it's second firing. Berger 215s with H1000 powder and CCI 250s.

I try to load to perfection. My shoulder bumping, trimming, and seating is all within .001.

I fire formed my first 100 pieces and gathered data working up a ladder.The groups were all pretty terrible never even reaching 1 MOA but I figured was because of new brass. Now that I have my first round of fire formed brass I loaded as perfect as possible I'm still shooting god awful groups. It doesn't matter if I lock it up in a sled, shoot from a bench, or prone with a bipod.

My Pro Chrono 2 is showing an ES of nearly 200fps.

What in the world is going on? This has been incredibly expensive to shoot such garbage and still nowhere near a good load. Factory ammo wasn't match grade but still shot no better than 1.5MOA.

Advice?
I wouldn't shoot it from a sled. They are very hard on scopes. That big ES sounds like you are loading on a pressure jump point. You need to make sure you're in a node. Maybe also check the case neck run-out on your fired and loaded cases, this can show a bad chamber job. Of course the basic rifle mechanics mentioned can be a big issue as well, ie. bedding, bad chamber, crown issue etc. Some of these items will cause POI issues but the big ES means your pressures are all over the place which will also effect barrel harmonics impacting POI also.

I can see recrowning but not recutting the chamber unless they set your barrel back at least a full turn. So are they saying if you buy their less expensive gun its machined with less than quality tools and not dialed in very well. Maybe it's just me but I dial in every barrel to at small a run-out I can get. I don't care if it's a cheap gun or precision target rifle they all get done the same. I don't own cheap not so good reamers and precision reamers. It's either right or it's not. They all should be precise. It's nearly impossible to straighten a chamber once it's been cut. You can clean up a rough chamber by setting back a turn and running in the reamer again but it will not straighten a crooked chamber.
Hopefully the rifle shoots for you. But them saying they recut your chamber doesn't wash with me.
Shep

I can see recrowning but not recutting the chamber unless they set your barrel back at least a full turn. So are they saying if you buy their less expensive gun its machined with less than quality tools and not dialed in very well. Maybe it's just me but I dial in every barrel to at small a run-out I can get. I don't care if it's a cheap gun or precision target rifle they all get done the same. I don't own cheap not so good reamers and precision reamers. It's either right or it's not. They all should be precise. It's nearly impossible to straighten a chamber once it's been cut. You can clean up a rough chamber by setting back a turn and running in the reamer again but it will not straighten a crooked chamber.
Hopefully the rifle shoots for you. But them saying they recut your chamber doesn't wash with me.
Shep
I agree completely. If the chamber needed to be recut it should have been completely barreled. It may shoot fine but that is a real Bubba type fix. If you refer to my first few posts on this thread, that is exactly the problem we have with them here in Canada. They don't fix them properly, take 3 or 4 tries and won't pay a good smith to fix them properly. Personally I would not accept a rechambered barrel on a brand new rifle I would insist on a whole new barrel.

Whelp. Hopefully the CEO dude chimes in. They didn't even send me an email or anything. They just called and said we don't know what the issue is. Like did you guys even inspect it for a defect or just run it through to get it done?

Also idk about 9 shots to test. Again idk about this theory but the barrel mfg I talked to said if there's a defect in the barrel it may get copper up plugging it giving a few good groups then push it out and let gas escape causing wild velocities. If that's true 9 rounds probably wasn't enough for a conclusive test.

Whelp. Hopefully the CEO dude chimes in. They didn't even send me an email or anything. They just called and said we don't know what the issue is. Like did you guys even inspect it for a defect or just run it through to get it done?

Also idk about 9 shots to test. Again idk about this theory but the barrel mfg I talked to said if there's a defect in the barrel it may get copper up plugging it giving a few good groups then push it out and let gas escape causing wild velocities. If that's true 9 rounds probably wasn't enough for a conclusive test.
I would pm him, get a phone number and have a one on one discussion. He seemed like a really good guy, very concerned about top notch service and the reputation of their product but it looks like his organization is not delivering to the level he expects.

On a hunting weight barrel you got one chance to get the chamber straight. You can set it back a turn or 2 if you go to deep or get a ring in it but that's it. On a straight 5 inch heavy varmint shank you can cut all the threads off and redial in the bore and then use a boring bar to get it running straight again and then rechamber it. But you can't do this on a hunting barrel. So the description they gave you is pretty vague. And just fixing the crown didn't shrink your groups by 3 times. I've seen crowns that look like they were polished with concrete shoot moa. To get your rifle to go from 3 inch groups to 1/2 inch groups they would of had to put a new barrel on it. That's a huge change. I personally have never shot a rifle that shot that big. I have seen some real junk come to my shop. I've seen barrels with fire cracking half way up the bore still shoot moa. I worked on a Tikka that shot 1.5 moa and I told the guy most tikkas shoot 1/2 moa and that I would go over it for him. I found that 1 inch back from the crown there was a half inch section of barrel with no rifling. I told him I could cut it off and recrown it or send it back to tikka. I cut it off for him and it shot jagged holes. But the point is with rifling missing it still shot twice as good as this bergara. Something had to be way off to make it shoot 3 inches.
Shep

I wouldn't even know how to load ammo with 200fps es. Normally my ladder test don't show 200fps. I would check the length of your chamber to the neck with a neck length tool. Easy to make one. See how long your chamber really is and trim brass according to that measurement. If your necks are touching At the front it can cause all kinds of erratic things to happen. Run factory ammo through your chrono to verify its acting right. 200fps is huge. Something big is happening somewhere.
Shep
hard to ignite powder and a mild primer is one way to do it...

Is there any way you would know if they replaced the barrel ? Specific marks here and there from your use ?

Is there any way you would know if they replaced the barrel ? Specific marks here and there from your use ?
They specifically said the did not replace the barrel. He told me they recut the crown and chamber, and didn't know what they found before hand. Didn't get an email with tracking or an explanation of anything. Should be here in the next couple of days.

I really hope this thing keeps shooting like their tests. Absolutely getting trashed if it doesn't shoot well after testing it with more than 9 rounds. I don't know what a new barrel costs them but I figured that would be the minimum......