Is my Bergara Bergarbage?

I hear you but don't jump off the ledge yet. Nothing is going to get worse by giving Bergera a chance to make this right. First step is a call to customer service first thing tomorrow. CALMLY layout the issues and ask for their help. They have been very nice to deal with, just not terribly effective in fixing the issue the first time. After 2 or 3 tries they usually get it right. You are in deep now so all this will cost you is some time and given Corvid most of us have lots of that to spare right now. If you work with them they will eventually make it right.
101stCurrahee: When talking with Bergera, I would definitely mention that you have posted their product's problem on this Forum and that it is getting quite a bit of attention and discussion.

Having trouble even getting an RMA. Left on hold for ever, website issues...I don't think Bergara is for me.

On the plus side, yay I get to gun shop. Any recommendations on something similar in 300WinMag with a sub MOA guarantee that actually shoots it? Needs to be capable of accepting a thread on Dead Air muzzle brake.

I don't own a Tikka, but if I was shopping for a hunting rifle today, that would be the standard I would use (providing I didn't want to spend a ton of money).

Bagging on the OP isn't going to help. He has said he had another good shooter try the gun, he has lead sledded it and he can't get a repeatable group that will go under 1 MOA. He has loads with very wide ES, which is the first thing that needs to be addressed. It is not that hard to have a 200 fps ES, despite so many on hear hooting and hollering how bad that is, I have seen ES that large even in 22 Hornet. On top of that, at 100 yards, a 200 ES is not going to blow up your groups to 3 inches generally. Until we see the ES results from a load around 75 grains and with different bullets, and ES results from quality factory ammo, it is impossible to provide further advice. One must determine the issue is not the ammo but the fact it won't shoot multiple loads or two types of non-premium factory ammo well indicates there may be more than just ammo that is an issue.

To the OP, look forward to hearing your updates and best of luck.

May I gently suggest to the OP that there are no answers here ? You did the standard basic evaluation and the rifle failed. Time to send it back. If you cannot get an RA send it back registered mail, insured with a note telling your story on the rifle and RA.

I assume you have filled out and sent this form ?

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.27.41 AM.png

Yes RMA is in progress. I know people have good intentions and want to help, but this thread can stop until it's checked by Bergara. Everything people are suggesting now has already been tried. There is nothing else I or any of you can do.

Yes RMA is in progress. I know people have good intentions and want to help, but this thread can stop until it's checked by Bergara. Everything people are suggesting now has already been tried. There is nothing else I or any of you can do.

I'd still try swapping out the scope although it will not account for the 200fps swings or a potential bad crown will not either , try a different bullet powder combo too time permitting, leaning towards barrel/ chamber issue . Keep us posted , keep your head up , you will have a bear soon and these gun issues will be resolved

Okay, I know the OP has said he is moving on to another rifle but I'm going to throw this out there anyway.
I have a Pro Chrono also and if I don't keep fresh batteries in it it gets flaky.
OP you said you are using CCI primers. Try some other brands. Federal 215 work better than any other in my particular 300 Winnie.
I have a M70 Supergrade in 308 that would not shoot worth beans. I literally spent hundreds of dollars on different reloading components trying to find that secret recipe that would shoot. Nothing seemed to work so I sat one day and went over everything I had tried. After thinking about it till my head hurt I realized I had tried only boat tailed bullets. I bought a box of flat base spitzer and it shot like a different gun. Problem solved.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I'd try different bullet and primer combinations. If that doesn't work, then I'd look for rifle or scope defects.

I'd still try swapping out the scope although it will not account for the 200fps swings or a potential bad crown will not either , try a different bullet powder combo too time permitting, leaning towards barrel/ chamber issue . Keep us posted , keep your head up , you will have a bear soon and these gun issues will be resolved

I forgot , I think you tried factory Ammo showing big velocity swings also . New bullet powder combo probably won't cure that if it's a chamber or barrel issue ......but scope may help groups

Buy a Weatherby sub moa Vanguard. They always work.
Attached photo of my Wby V2 group in 6.5 Swede, 5 shots @ 100yds

I have read all 7 pages and you have a ton of really good info to sort through... here is my .02c for what its worth

Your primary issue seems to be speed variance.. you have ruled out a bad chronograph.. excellent.

Next, you hand load, like I do, so humor me please.

Throw 4 or 5 loads and check them on someone else's scale, that will eliminate a scale issue. And you didn't mention, single stage press or progressive?
My gut is telling me inconsistent charges..however, that could be powder charge weight variance or bad blend of powder.
I work for the Canadian Distributor for Bergara on a part time basis. Mind you.. he is the primary Cdn distributor for Bergara so I can't say what % of guns in his shop are warranty, but there's a few, and his full timers complain about Bergara warranty processing (but they complainant everything lol), so maybe its true.
With respect to changing brands..well, I'm sure we all have our fans.. my fist Wby was a Vanguard in 30.06 over 35yrs ago... and it shot 1.5 mom when I bought it ( Wby guaranteed that back then) and with handloads I'm getting 1 moa. It could be better with some more load development but its a fiberglass stock w a 20" bbl and honestly? I'm not much of a recoil fan anymore
Keep me posted, I'll check with my boss, although, he still won't accept my challenge between his Bergara and my Wby... he claims eyesight issues in his later years.. which could be..but he's also the one with the shooting trophies... not me
Think he's scared? Lol

Attachments

• 20171014_171830.jpg
    20171014_171830.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
So I have read this with great interest. Is the OP unhappy with the group size or the ES? His groups were not MOA but, can't that happen cuz the rifle is finicky and hasn't found what it "likes" yet?? I am currently trying to dial in a Tikka .308 and have had a bear of a time getting a tight group. Have easily shot 130 rounds and just now feel like I am on to something good. Tried all the magic powders (varget, Re15 ect) and crappy groups. Tried 5 powders 3 different bullet types and weights. Crappy group after crappy group. Wanted to smash the rifle. Finally got the the right combo. Have had 3 other rifles that took 20 rounds to dial in and guess I took for granted that all rifles would dial in that painlessly. I am by no means an expert and bow to many of the members expertise, but couldn't this be a load issue and not mechanical? Anyway always enjoy learning and listening. I feel your pain OP, I have been so angry and frustrated trying to chase a group thinking I got a lemon and I just didn't have the right combo.