Is my Bergara Bergarbage?

It's just bad luck you chrono and scope broke at same time. I know you were using chrono results to make up your mind the rifle was bad because of your ES. But I always check the barrel for a coppered up bore first. Then I check the scope on another accurate rifle. Then if it doesn't shoot you go into bedding and crowns and guard screw torque changes. Most of the time someone brings me a gun that stopped shooting it was not clean because they had no clue how to do it right or it was the scope. Scopes are still the weakest link on your rifle. They are much stronger and durable now but they still do fail. I've had them fail on little 6mms in 17 pound guns that don't recoil at all. They just break sometimes. Or a spring loses its power or the grease on the tube gets old and stiff. Old grease in the winter makes for some fine entertainment watching guys try to sight in there deer rifles. Goes like this. First shot 5 inches left. They dial in 5 inches right and shoot. It's right where the first shot was so they move 5 more inches right. Third shot 10 inches left. Hands go up in frustration. Remember most scopes only have to move the reticle down and left. Up and right is the springs responsibility. Some springs can't push through cold grease. Fun times. Look forward to seeing how it shoots when you get your scope back. Good luck.
Shep
Thank you and everyone else for helping along throughout this drawn out mess.

Probably the worst possible first experience with getting into long range shooting. I spent the money on quality stuff, probably have well over 100 hours of videos and reading on technique, bought all the reloading equipment, put it the work... and almost a year later I'm still stuck at 100 yards.

It stings. Apply ointment.

This is how I feel after figuring it out.

Attachments

• 24F52CD5-ED57-47B1-938B-F38D29DB9D6F.gif
    24F52CD5-ED57-47B1-938B-F38D29DB9D6F.gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 101
Don't even ask on this site what the best scope. It will be 50 pages of Leupold haters and nightforce haters and Leupold lovers and nightforce lovers going back and forth. With a few other optics thrown in here and there. Nightforce still makes great scopes yours just bit the dust. Probably a .25 cents part. But it will be fine when you get it back.
Shep

Wow—glad you are getting some resolution and clarity to the issue. So frustrating, as I'm sure many of isn't here have chased our tails looking for the culprit on one rifle or another.

But glad you are seeing some light at the end of be tunnel, and it doesn't seem to be an oncoming train.

Surprised NF hasn't responded to you. I had a focus issue with an ATACR last year...called them and one of the reps had me try a few things that didn't help....gave me a number and sent it back to them....got it back a few weeks later, all issues solved.

Surprised NF hasn't responded to you. I had a focus issue with an ATACR last year...called them and one of the reps had me try a few things that didn't help....gave me a number and sent it back to them....got it back a few weeks later, all issues solved.
Sounds like they were all working at home because of Covid. I got a callback and they issued an RMA. They said there's no way they are going to issue a check for a refund or covering any materials.
Am I wrong for thinking they should do more than just repair it? At this point my barrels a quarter of the way shot out on top of the huge cost.

It's looking like I'm going to owe Bergara a huge apology. Shot this with a 9x Tasco on my rifle. I wish I had more ammunition but I'm about to puke thinking the amount of money and stress wasted on this.
Man that's great ! I trust you'll sleep a bit better tonight. Brings to mind one of the tricks I picked up on Leupold's web site years back. With the scope adjusted to full magnification, hold a mirror held tight against the objective end . With that in place, ( it's a bit tricky), when looking through the ocular end/eye piece, you will see two sets of crosshairs. One set is centered, and the other shows your adjustments. I keep a stainless signal mirror in my kit to check cross hair position, and to aid in recentering the reticle. I used to keep a rough sketch of where they were. My son suggested using todays phone/ camera instead to keep a record. But, I never got around to doing that.

In your case it would be interesting to see where the reticle is positioned and if it moves correctly with the movement of the turrets. Might enable you to give a better description of the problem to the scope manufacture

Sounds like they were all working at home because of Covid. I got a callback and they issued an RMA. They said there's no way they are going to issue a check for a refund or covering any materials.
Am I wrong for thinking they should do more than just repair it? At this point my barrels a quarter of the way shot out on top of the huge cost.
There is a thing in business called "Good Will".
Make sure you mention to them all the posts on this forum thread.

You are wasting your time trying to sue NightForce or any other company for anything because it won't get you any where there responsibility pretty much ends with the repair of their equipment unless you can prove their intent of doing you wrong feel lucky they fix the scope and chalk the rest up to in experience. David

Never hurts to ask but yes they would never do that as most companies would never do that

I always keep a proven scope in my safe, just in case something like this might happen--I can put on the old Burris that I have used to shoot dime sized groups before and see whether the problem is the rifle or not. Right now I've 4 scopes that I'm not using. And It is always good to have a back-up ready.

But yeah, this is why I'm afraid to shell out $2500 for a scope. That, and I am very thrifty and have very little cash to work with. I considered Bergara but bought a Sauer 100 instead. I had heard good things about Bergara. But I have seen good things from Sauer so I'm glad I didn't get the Bergara now. That is not to say that the OP's Bergara won't turn out to be a good shooter with some more work.

But I would have to come up with a bunch more cash to get a truly long-range rig. My Sauers are relatively cheap (I have two of them now :)) and they both please me immensely. But I have not tested them much beyond 400 yards, so still have more experimentation to do.

Hopefully, with the Nightforce fixed, you can go on to have confidence in your Bergara.