Is leupold all that there cracked up to be

Aussie_hunter

I own a tasco scope on both my 22-250 and my 22 WMR and there great no complaint there but I want a leupold but do they really work wonders and **** cucumbers? I can't justify buying a $1000 scope when my $400 scopes do the job with no problems.

Your feed back would be great thanks

Tough question! I have them on all my rifles, and I've had their binos for a couple of decades as well.
I have had over the top warranty service from them. I broke a pair of range finder binoculars. My bad-I explained it to them figured they would fix them for a fee. They sent me a brand new pair free! This was not an isolated occurrence, lifetime meant lifetime as long as their name was on it.
Then at other times lately we've sent scopes, or binos back, and it takes multiple trips to get the problem acknowledged, much less fixed. Their warranty and service was the standard of the industry. Call it growing pains, or the change to fixing stuff in house, but it's not as good.
However, I think their Mark 4 line is better than anything they have ever made. They've held up very well for us on hard kicking guns. Some competition in the market pushed them forward.
I'm shopping new scopes, could be too much like an old wife, but I'm tending to look at newer shinier models. Then familiarity has it's advantages. LOL

No riflescope will make you a better shooter. At best it may allow you to use your skill once you become a better shooter. No riflescope will stabilize for your hold, compensate for poor trigger control, or compensate for wind deflection for you. Your money will no doubt be better spent on ammo for practice with than on a more expensive scope.

If leupold starts selling a model that ***** cucumbers, then I definitely will shell out more money for that scope. I love cucumbers.

when you reach the point of realizing that your shooting ability has surpassed your scopes ability , then look for better glass. i like and use Leupold and Zeiss, both for different jobs, Leupold for target and varmint, zeiss for big game hunting. You can spend too much for glass, and get "bells and whistles" that you don't use or need, but, spend to little and you will regret it.

If leupold starts selling a model that ***** cucumbers, then I definitely will shell out more money for that scope. I love cucumbers.

Thats the funniest **** thing ive ever heard. My buddy has a leupold and its a nice scope, but I have seen far better for a lower price. Nikon, Vortex, and even leupold's Redfield scopes are just as good as the mighty leupold. So until they **** cucumbers, keep your options open and not just on a certain brand.

No way the cheaper scopes are 'better than Leupold', just as they are not better than NF.
You're just buyin into the cheaper scope hype, hook line & sinker...

They are a chinese scope designed and assembled here. They are the best of the cheaper
scopes, but not so cheap anymore. I own a few and have no complaints. But they have
none of the features of my high end scopes and the glass is not comparable. Their weight
and warranty are better than most other middle of the road scopes. Vortex and Sightron
are the two companies giving them a run for the money. However Leupolds are still
lighter and in a hunting gun that is important to most of us. This of coarse is all just my
opinion based on what I own and have shot.

I claim no expertise but my father and uncle have been SERIOUS HUNTERS, guiding/outfitting for a combined 80 plus years. When I cosidered deviating from Leupold for a serious hunting build they talked me out of it. That said there are a few Nikons appearing in my and thrir collections. But when it really really counts Leupold gets the call.
I have nothing but good things to sayabout the Nikons I own and have not deviated much from these two to comment on others. Vortex appears appealing and when they are proven out over time...I have a friend with several and am observing expectantly.. I wil invest for myself.

I'll throw this into the mix. As a long range hunter, one of the top (if not the top) priority for me is the ability of the scope to track properly. Depending on the model of Leupold, the erector springs may or may not be up to snuff. For spot on tracking I use the high end glass, but the Zeisss Conquest line is winning me over because the tracking is excellent and the optic quality is decent. Of course that only means something if you can live with a one inch tube, fine clicks, and a backassedwards turret.

The Mk4s do not have any tracking issues. I know that much.
As to Leupold's many watered down models,, I don't know. And I don't think Leupold knows anymore..
IMO, they need to eliminate 90% of their line up, as they're undermining their own market.

I have used Leupolds almost 40 years. I think they they are good scopes and the service from the company is excellent. As I got more into the long range, precision shooting, I have had some that have had problems and were sent in for service. Fortunately, non of the problems accurred when I was hunting. The Mark 4's track well but I have had a couple of problems with two of the four. One would not hold the parallax setting under recoil, the other lost some of the turret clicks. Not major, but annoying. I have also had issues with a couple of my target turret models with tracking. All were fixed but a while back I decided to try some different brands. While I still like and use Leupold on several of my rifles, I now a couple of scopes on my target rigs, and put two Huskemaws on my LR hunting rigs. Don't know about the long term reliability of the Huskemaw, but they have great glass, track perfectly, and have some nice features. I really like this scope! They are pricey, but I paid for them by selling off a bunch of rifles and scopes I accumulated over the years and never used.

I know nothing of Minox, but I know Leupold well. You just can't go wrong with a Leupy. Heck I've even bought Leupold scopes second hand, & sent em into the custom shop for upgrades! Warranty is beyond compare, & its hands down my favorite.
I also really like Burris for ruggedness, price, & function, but Leupold gets my $ more often due to thier warranty & customer service. (not to mention they give you a free hat when at thier facility if you ask haha) great folks there! Great product as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.