Is it worth it to put the money into a rem 788?

I've been shooting a 222 Rem flavored 788 since i picked it up in the 70's. Other than putting a scope and sling on it I've left it stock. It still shoots tiny groups and, though occasionally tempted, I've never felt the need to upgrade the stock or barrel. However, if I ever find another 788 action at the right price I would build a modestly priced 308 on it in a NY minute. Summary: I love em but wouldn't put a boat load of money into making a custom build. But I'm old and cheap. Have fun with your great 788.

I picked one up in 308 win a couple years ago and pulled the barrel off and screwed on a 1:8 krieger and let it fly. Shot that gun in a lot of matches and never bothered to change the stock. I think they are excellent rifles to build off of.

Ive had a remington 788 ( longer action in 308) sitting in the safe for years now and i keep going through the rounds of tuning it up to hunt with. My real question is would to be worth getting a mcmillan and a stainless proof or comparable type barrel to change it to a 7mm-08 for a little light weight rig? Or would it best to just go with a wood boyds and a shillen as a cheaper tune up as just a truck gun to shoot the occasional coyote? Thoughts?

For me, no way no how. When you look at all the quality rifles out there today ie Tikka, Ruger, Savage just to name a few, why invest in a sub standard rifle. My opinion of course. Best of luck! Put your cash towards something new.

Very true, one of the reasons is the number of the 788's they produced at ultra cheap prices. Cheap to build on because of the skilions of parts and upgrade available for the 700 series action. Not really interested in the number produced, but how many good, I mean really good scores they rack up.

I have had a few if them in 22-250, 308 and 6mm. Everyone of them shot lights out. The stocks were not the best but who the hell cares when you are shooting 1/2 in groups without custom barrels. They're light and have a removable magazine. If you want a gun to shoot and not worry about beating up, go for it. They certainly do not take a back seat to any of the other rifles mentioned above except for in aesthetics.

Designed for economy of production is not the same as cheap. I get it if you don't happen to like them as there's some that I don't care if they shoot bugholes, I won't own one. But to dismiss it simply based on it's original price tag without any experience with one, well all that I can say is More for ME!!!

I put an AT-One on a .223 Rem 788 for exactly the reason that JE mentioned, adjustability. I'm intending to use that rifle to introduce new shooters of varying sizes to scoped center-fire rifles. It's ready to go except for MY taking it to the range to try it out.

I HAD A BUNCH! Enough to compare the old BDL'S and ADL'S to the new ones. I totally agree that the 700 action designe rained supream for a long lo g time. Unfortunatly, that time has past. And I am sorry to see as well.

To my knowledge, most of, if not all of todays top compitiion actions are 700 copies. Nuff said. I'm not nocking Remington, I'm furious about what fools will do for a buck!

I turned my788 into a 20br.
It Shoots reasonably well. Feed well . But if I had to do it again I would use a single shot.

Attachments

• D0D3847C-3990-4618-8B9F-906AE6F7F4EB.jpeg
    D0D3847C-3990-4618-8B9F-906AE6F7F4EB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
By the way the badger Remington 700 replacement recoil lug fit perfectly for the contour of this action. It is worth considering if you are getting a new custom barrel fitted.

Some have the idea that the newer actions are better and any cheep action is junk. NOT SO !!!

I have worked on and built on almost all of the actions and found that there are bad actions and good actions of each brand, the quality of design and machining determines its value not price.

There are many cheaper rifles that have proven to be better than some of the higher priced rifles/actions, and vise versa. I try to judge a rifle or action by numbers of rifles/actions that have been good and how many have been bad, Not just one or two. Time and numbers will normally show built in quality.

I can understand if someone buy one brand and it is bad even if the fault isn't the rifle or the action that they could assume every rifle in that brand is bad, but one experience does not make all of that brand bad. Many new shooters will buy a newer rifle or cartridge expecting it to improve there shooting automatically, and if it doesn't, its a piece of junk and they blame the manufacture.

Having worked on so many different actions, I can remember the worst and it was not a Remington, But a very popular brand. but have also worked on many of that brand and found them excellent, so I assumed that it was just a quality control issue and moved on. The owner of that rifle was ready to throw it in the trash, and after measuring all the dimensions, I found that the bolt was tapered .008 thousandths front to back, so squaring everything was pointless. A new bolt solved the problem and allowed it to be trued/squared and now it is a 1/4 MOA rifle. I have also worked on some very expensive rifles/actions and found a few that were poorly made , so don't judge an action By just one.

The reason I blueprint every action, is to find out the quality of that action and make any adjustments needed to the machining or parts. I consider any action good until it proves other wise. The topic action (788) has been one of the better machined and consistent actions that I have built on and considered when it was built an asset, because the machining and quality control was more consistent action to action.

Some of my biggest disappointments have been the top end grades of rifles of many brands so cost means nothing to me, compared to quality.

Everyone has their favorite action/brand and I have a top five that I use to build my personal rifles, and the 788 is one of those. I can chose what I want for my own rifles, and brand and cost has nothing to do with my choices.

Just saying

J E CUSTOM

Very true, one of the reasons is the number of the 788's they produced at ultra cheap prices. Cheap to build on because of the skilions of parts and upgrade available for the 700 series action. Not really interested in the number produced, but how many good, I mean really good scores they rack up.

Most bench rest shooters had there choice and traditionally spare no expense, chose the 788.
Now most are custom actions that they build, and of those that can't/don't many still prefer the 788.

Also If they made so many why are they still hard to find. (Could it be their quality and design?)
Don't know why I am defending the 788, because it needs no defending.

No doubt the 700 is one of the easiest actions to build on, and one of my favorites. but don't have certain design traits that the 788 does, so many times it is chosen for those qualities and use.

There are a lot more bad shooters than bad actions.

J E CUSTOM

Recent Posts