Is it the Wind or Something I'm Doing?

You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you get a scope level that attaches to your scope. I played this game just how your playing it, Went I finally broke down and got the Vortex scope level it all stopped, except for the rifles I don't have a scope level on, I still do it with those but atleast I know now what and why.

Which way are you dialing for a left to right wind on the windage turret? I have watched countless guys dial with windage turret the same direction that the wind was blowing, thus exasterbating the wind. There are a hundred things that shooters do wrong during the course of shooting. Several of them are responsible for impacts being to the right of center with a right hand shooter. Good luck.

Which way are you dialing for a left to right wind on the windage turret? I have watched countless guys dial with windage turret the same direction that the wind was blowing, thus exasterbating the wind. There are a hundred things that shooters do wrong during the course of shooting. Several of them are responsible for impacts being to the right of center with a right hand shooter. Good luck.

What are the issues that pull the groups right with a right hand shooter?

Truthfully I thought I had fixed my pull to the right when I changed my trigger squeeze and grip. On my 308 my right pull stopped. But this is the first time shooting the .243 with my new trigger control method. Maybe I need to come up with something else with this gun.

The more I sit and ponder this I think I should just zero the gun at 300. Since testing at 100 yards using the exact same technique/shooting form, and doing the vertical line test at 0, +10, +20 and +30 inches of elevation and the groups stayed on the line. Could this be the 95 gr Berger not being settled in at 100 yards??

I'm burning/waisting lots bullets and powder when they are hard to come by these days.

Try wind flags. There is a lot going on in the bullet path where I shoot. Frustrating...you bet!!!

Prone was the best, actually was center of the point of aim. So I guess this tells me that I suffer from technique problems??
Yep it's called "driver error".

My bet is when shooting off of the bench you are sitting off to the side instead of right up square behind the rifle.

This won't make much of a difference with a heavy bench gun but with a sporter weight rifle it can create a lot of torsion throwing the barrel left and right like holding a fishing rod out in front of you and wiggling it left-right.

Square up behind the rifle solidly and make sure you are getting a solid and consistent cheek weld just like you do prone and it should tighten things up considerably.

I'm just lost!! Not sure what's going on here. I realize that I do have something going on with my form, as I tend to hit a little to the right with my 308 as well, but why am I dead center at 100 and then to the right at 200 and 300? The Tall Test eliminated scope alignment and cant I use a level on my top turret to verify that I'm shooting level.

Please look at the target and tell me your thoughts. It's at 300 yards and the one to the far right was a fouling cold bore shot. I had some oil left in the bore. I piled most of them together but 2 are at the point of aim.

CE8B6B5E-98A6-403E-9936-667255A554A2-303-0000002CE0ED54C1.jpg

When shooting at 300 yards the last 100 yard of bullet flight travels through a narrow lane of tall pines. Could this affect anything? I don't think so, but I thought I'd toss it out there.
If you have a considerable cross wind between you and the woods, and you are counting it as a full value wind all the way to the target that will make your windage adjustments be off considerably since the woods creates a windbreak.

If you are shooting with a cross wind figure your wind calculation and then take 1/3 off of the adjustment. Ie if your caluclator tells you 12" wind adjustment take off 4 and call it 8".

My bet though is it's still a matter of how you are driving the rifle.

It's got to be the wind...... I had wind coming from 9 o'clock straight left to right at 3-7mph "variable" today. Shot at 100, 200, and 300. Started at 200 and hit 3" right of POA. With the same form and hold I didn't change anything and shot the 100 yard target and hit 1" high from the 200 yard setting and dead center. I then shot the 300 yard target and hit way right about 7" with the same form and hold. I then dialed for wind about 1.6 MOA "per JBM" and shot 3 more at 300 and they were more centered but horizontally scattered I'm thinking of the variable wind.

I did this same test with my 308 with the same results. I may have been just trying to neglect a light wind, but with the anemometer the light wind is more like 5mph.

I just have a lot to learn. I guess I'm not wasting time, powder, and lead if I'm ever so slowly learning.

The toughest wind conditions for me is the ever changing 3-8mph winds. My experiences have been exactly what you've described when I don't give the variable factor enough respect. The fact you had similar results with 2 different rifles tells you 2 things. One it's not a problem with equipment and two you've got to learn to deal with this variable factor. Welcome to the Frustrated Club!

It's got to be the wind...... I had wind coming from 9 o'clock straight left to right at 3-7mph "variable" today. Shot at 100, 200, and 300. Started at 200 and hit 3" right of POA. With the same form and hold I didn't change anything and shot the 100 yard target and hit 1" high from the 200 yard setting and dead center. I then shot the 300 yard target and hit way right about 7" with the same form and hold. I then dialed for wind about 1.6 MOA "per JBM" and shot 3 more at 300 and they were more centered but horizontally scattered I'm thinking of the variable wind.

I did this same test with my 308 with the same results. I may have been just trying to neglect a light wind, but with the anemometer the light wind is more like 5mph.

I just have a lot to learn. I guess I'm not wasting time, powder, and lead if I'm ever so slowly learning.
Scott the secret to success with a variable wind is to time your shots such that you are firing each time when the wind hits the same speed. Otherwise you are going to find it impossible to shoot a tight group with a cross wind.

I think 7" is alot of drift for 300 yards in a 3-7 mph wind, that is just too much. As I mentioned earlier I would get dialed in 1/2" left at 200 yards when there is NO wind and you have a level attached to the scope. Then shoot at 300 and see what happens. I would bet you will not be seeing 7" of drift in that same 3-7 mph wind...but I could be wrong, again :D
good luck, gary

1.6MOA at 300yds is just 5.02" so it doesn't account for 7" of error.

What scope are you using?

If you can set up and test at 300 and 500yds with either no wind or a straight on headwind or tail wind and see what it looks like.

I'm still leaning towards a driver error or perhaps scope problem.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.