Is it the Wind or Something I'm Doing?

Sorry after looking at the targets again the 1.6MOA was for my .243 and it was closer to 5" of wind. The 308 was closer to 7 and JBM had 2 MOA for wind.

I'm using Nikon Monarch 6.5x20x44 UCC scopes on both rifles. The .243 has a standard duplex reticle and the .308 has a fine cross hair.

I am causing this rightward drift to be worse I'm sure but I for the life of me can not put my finger on what's going on. I changed my trigger control method from a tight grip on the palm swell and squeezing the trigger with the middle of my index finger to using my bottom 3 fingers to just lightly pull the rifle into my shoulder and using the tip of my index finger just behind the finger nail to squeeze. My thumb is now just positioned along side of the swell. As before I was using the thumb to have a tight hold on the swell. I thought I had this fixed with this change, at the time my groups were centered but with slightly right, maybe just an inch at 300. I make sure that I'm straight inline with the barrel when on the bench or prone.

I seam to struggle with this on my bolt action guns. My AR 223 didn't exhibit this at 300 the other day.

I think I need someone to coach me........ Anyone in the KY area?????

OK, I think I'm making progress. Out of ammo for the 243 for now need to reload some more. Shot the 308 again this morning, no wind!!! I mean there was no wind, but I did get covered in ice pellets.

First pic is 5 MOA up per JBM for my 175 SMKs traveling at 2600fps. No wind, spin or Coriolis adjustment.

9E595904-7B37-4DE6-A245-D22CC80B3A22-715-0000011796F489A1.jpg

This picture is with a .3 MOA left for spin and Coriolis called for by JBM. First two shots were to the right. I then made an adjustment that I have never done before, I moved my trigger arm elbow more forward perpendicular to the rifle, kind of a right angle to the gun, and shot 3 more. I think this made the gun recoil more straight back then it was before steering the bullets to their POA.

What do yall, think?? Sound like I'm on to something?

57E5F711-5CCB-426B-9FBD-BEDD8F5A7F5E-715-00000117923799BD.jpg

try really scrutinizing how your rifle is recoiling(?).

I went through a driver error period and realized I was holding the gun differenctly when in different positions such as bench vs sitting or kneeling.

For me the "fix" was to be sure my shoulder was equally as square in each position, same pressure holding the gun and making sure I kept my right elbow in the same position. I was subconsciouly dropping my right elbow in one position and shoulder wasn't at the same angle to the gun. result was a recoil to the right and resulting drift that way despite maintaining tight patterns.

I am no expert for sure but I have always kept my arm at almost a 90 degree angle on my trigger arm. My arm is just slightly slanted back off of a 90 degree angle but it is close. Keep trying it out ant see if it works better for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.