Is it Smart to Hunt Deer With a .410 Shotgun?

Bean and Feen you have properly identified my answer as an opinion. ( As it also would have been if I said yes). I have often found that people are asking for your opinion when they say ,"what are your thoughts".

Winchester Super-X .410 gauge 3", 1,800 FPS with a 1/4 OZ slug. These are pretty much a ballistic twin to a 30 M1 Carbine round from the WWII , U.S. Carbine, Caliber 30,M1, thinkN they made about six million of these rifles starting in 1941. M1 Carbine workD in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, yep it'll take a Whitetail Deer. 110 grains lead @ 1,800FPS for a handy little battle rifle. She's same FT. LBS> energy as stock Winchester Super-X .410ga load!! Good pick for a kid's deer rig, or an old time infantryman, known a few. MN legal for both, smart choice if you can hunt.

While legal in Wisconsin & monnesota, why would you want to handicap yourself with an inferior caliber where other rifles will work better?

Oak trees are thick enough, in these woods, that 125yds is a about as far a shot as a guys gonna get and sometimes it's less than 20yds. Maybe bow hunter logic but, not really that tuff to walk up a buck.. .410 with slugs or an M1 Carbine that's what's still works, and a bit quieter than a 300 Win Mag. when ur only after a whitetail buck for the freezer. Snow on the ground 1930's vintage H&R Folding .410ga with a 3" Brenneke, that's a nice morning deer hunt. Good Luck!!

What are you using for deer?
Multiple calibers for multiple states, the safe has 5 6.5 creedmoors, one 6.5-06, 2 30tcs, 2 6.5x257 Roberts Ackleys and 2 243 winchesters, there also is a 221 fireball and two 257 Roberts ackleys.
All have killed deer dead. I never feel handicapped with any of them because they shoot well for me.

Multiple calibers for multiple states, the safe has 5 6.5 creedmoors, one 6.5-06, 2 30tcs, 2 6.5x257 Roberts Ackleys and 2 243 winchesters, there also is a 221 fireball and two 257 Roberts ackleys.
All have killed deer dead. I never feel handicapped with any of them because they shoot well for me.
Why would you handicap yourself with any of those when when you could use a 375 H&H ?

Why would you handicap yourself with any of those when when you could use a 375 H&H ?
Like your line of thinking. I too have a 410 I inherited when dad died 2 years ago. I would use it any day before a big kicking magnum. I've never fired a slug from it but killed lots of grouse with it as a kid. Tough losing a lifelong hunting partner like dad but this post makes me want to carry it again this coming fall. Light & handy.

When Indiana was Slug gun only the 410 slug was prohibited because it was considered to closely resemble a rifle cartridge
BB: I think one reason was the .410 was also banned was the interchangeability with 45 Colt which is a so what but politically created a "high powered" centerfire. Yeah I know, don't let facts cloud up political nonsense.

My friends 10 YO shoots a 410 with brenneke slugs. Nothing past 50 yards. It does a decent job....not my first pick though. A 44 mag is much better from my experience, even though it looks like a wash on paper. Even a very light muzzleloader load would be a better pick IMO.

I called lightfield slugs a few years back to see if they made a slug for the 410. They said it was only their 2 or 3rd request in 20+ years.