Is it possible to vaporize a Nosler Accubond?!

The SST is a whole lot more fragile than the Accubond, that's what he's trying to avoid.

"Grenade" is a good description which is why I ceased shooting them if high velocity impacts are likely.
I only shot one deer with an SST. That was the last. I've never had a problem with Accubonds, Interbonds, Sciroccos or any bonded or mono bullet.
I thought my post would be telling him not to use because of.

I only shot one deer with an SST. That was the last. I've never had a problem with Accubonds, Interbonds, Sciroccos or any bonded or mono bullet.
I thought my post would be telling him not to use because of.
No biggie, just clearing that up since it appears you left it out.

Don't forget the Hornady SST 150 grenade. 3630 out of 300 RUM. I could of driven faster without pressuring out.

There's a projectile we don't hear enough about imo
Fine shooting bullet but way to erratic terminally.

They are well bonded but with materials too soft to give good performance at high velocity. They have a horrible tendency to fail to track and thus turn as much as 90degrees or more in some cases producing serious wounding.

My first trip to Africa I chose to take my 300Wm and Sirocco II handloads.

3rd day out I have an opportunity on a monster blue wildebeest at about 350.

I was quartering to away facing me at about 20deg, so I lined up on the crease and watched a perfect impact.

Instead of dropping him the bullet veered by 90deg on cotact with bone shooting up straight out of the top of the forward portion of his shoulder.

It was only a half hour before dark too and this area has both lions and leopards so immediate recovery was essential.

I immediately took off to see if maybe he'd dropped just over the top of the little hill behind him and "no joy".

PH and guides came back, jumped out of truck and started the slow, methodical search for blood, very difficult on dry sand since it just forms little dry balls of sand unless you have a massive blood flow.

I'm looking in the direction he ran, and see a big cloud of dust in the low sun, and charge after it.

Guys yell at me to wait because he's obviously not badly wounded and could hurt or kill me, which they are well known for doing when angry.

I decide with the waning light I'd just risk it and had another round chambered ready to go.

3 more times I see the same thing and arriving at each of those locations I find evidence he'd crashed, rolled fought bushes etc but kept moving in the same direction.

Finally I find him down some 600-700yds from when/where he was hit.

He's still panting profusely and snorting mad as hell and here I am about 15 yards out with the trackers still 300yds or so behind.

I stand frozen hoping he'd expire but instead he jumps up and starts a charge.

I hit him right between the eyes at a very low angle because his head was up but he hit the ground appearing to be stone dead.

Guys arrive, stories and celebrations begin and we start trying to get a few pictures.

About two minutes into this he's breathing and fighting so had to finish him with a pistol shot just below the poll.

Upon examination the shot between the eyes had also instantly deviated and shot out just under about the base of the tongue and had knocked him out stone cold but again, not a quickly fatal wound that would have allowed for him to charge again absent us being prepared to stop him with an alternate.

I'd had similar issues on deer and hogs a few times in the past but figured they were just one in a million failures and that I could still justify shooting them because they shot so well.

That was the last time I ever shot a Sirocco at game and the last time I ever will unless out of absolute desperation.

Fine shooting bullet but way to erratic terminally.

They are well bonded but with materials too soft to give good performance at high velocity. They have a horrible tendency to fail to track and thus turn as much as 90degrees or more in some cases producing serious wounding.

My first trip to Africa I chose to take my 300Wm and Sirocco II handloads.

3rd day out I have an opportunity on a monster blue wildebeest at about 350.

I was quartering to away facing me at about 20deg, so I lined up on the crease and watched a perfect impact.

Instead of dropping him the bullet veered by 90deg on cotact with bone shooting up straight out of the top of the forward portion of his shoulder.

It was only a half hour before dark too and this area has both lions and leopards so immediate recovery was essential.

I immediately took off to see if maybe he'd dropped just over the top of the little hill behind him and "no joy".

PH and guides came back, jumped out of truck and started the slow, methodical search for blood, very difficult on dry sand since it just forms little dry balls of sand unless you have a massive blood flow.

I'm looking in the direction he ran, and see a big cloud of dust in the low sun, and charge after it.

Guys yell at me to wait because he's obviously not badly wounded and could hurt or kill me, which they are well known for doing when angry.

I decide with the waning light I'd just risk it and had another round chambered ready to go.

3 more times I see the same thing and arriving at each of those locations I find evidence he'd crashed, rolled fought bushes etc but kept moving in the same direction.

Finally I find him down some 600-700yds from when/where he was hit.

He's still panting profusely and snorting mad as hell and here I am about 15 yards out with the trackers still 300yds or so behind.

I stand frozen hoping he'd expire but instead he jumps up and starts a charge.

I hit him right between the eyes at a very low angle because his head was up but he hit the ground appearing to be stone dead.

Guys arrive, stories and celebrations begin and we start trying to get a few pictures.

About two minutes into this he's breathing and fighting so had to finish him with a pistol shot just below the poll.

Upon examination the shot between the eyes had also instantly deviated and shot out just under about the base of the tongue and had knocked him out stone cold but again, not a quickly fatal wound that would have allowed for him to charge again absent us being prepared to stop him with an alternate.

I'd had similar issues on deer and hogs a few times in the past but figured they were just one in a million failures and that I could still justify shooting them because they shot so well.

That was the last time I ever shot a Sirocco at game and the last time I ever will unless out of absolute desperation.
That could have turned out really bad, that ordeal would change my bullet choice.A man can learn a lot listening too others experiences.

Recent Posts