Is it possible to launch a bullet over 2000mph?

LDHunter

I never converted feet per second to miles per hour until recently when I was bored and googling around.

I decided to convert 3000 feet per second to miles per hour and came up with 2045.455mph!

Sounds a lot faster when we convert it huh?

Golly gosh... That's even faster than my F-150 Raptor... LOL

So I guess I answered my own question didn't I?

I also find it pretty amazing that we can repeatedly launch bullets at that speed and still get those bullets to land in a tiny group waaaaaaay out there over and over with amazing consistency.... Sometimes I just sit back and say WOW!!! It doesn't seem possible does it when you get right down to it?

I never converted feet per second to miles per hour until recently when I was bored and googling around.

I decided to convert 3000 feet per second to miles per hour and came up with 2045.455mph!

I also find it pretty amazing that we can repeatedly launch bullets at that speed and still get those bullets to land in a tiny group waaaaaaay out there over and over with amazing consistency.... Sometimes I just sit back and say WOW!!! It doesn't seem possible does it when you get right down to it?

Now, think about a large aircraft that can travel at sustained Mach 3 - SR 71 Old F15 could reach 2.5 Mach
Then think about a large spacecraft that reaches earth's escape velocity at 17,500 mph.
THEN, think of meteors that approach at 50,000fps!

Bullets @ 3,000fps aren't so fast after all.

Attachments

• C5B8748B-9112-46EF-8F68-8AA9563749CC.jpeg
    C5B8748B-9112-46EF-8F68-8AA9563749CC.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 232
If you could launch your F150 Raptor to that same spec, you'd be donating (a.k.a liquefying) your organs to the G-force.

The Military asked Weatherby to see how fast they could push a bullet. If I remember correctly , it was something like 10,000fps.
The .30-378 was originally designed by Roy Weatherby as an anti-personnel/anti-materiel military cartridge for a government contract.[4] The cartridge was created by necking down the .378 Weatherby Magnum to accept a .308 in (7.8 mm) diameter bullet. The United States Army's Redstone Arsenal requested a rifle cartridge that could develop 6,000 ft/s (1,800 m/s) for the effects of light bullets against armor. The .30-378 Weatherby Magnum was able to attain over 5,000 ft/s (1,500 m/s). Using a slower burning and denser propellant, the .30-378 Weatherby Magnum surpassed the US Army's requirement of 6,000 ft/s (1,800 m/s).[5]

Here's a moderately interesting link with some numbers.

i agree, it is amazing. it's crazy how far technology has come to be able to produce results like that. but keep in mind that since the dawn of man, we have spent more time/research/money figuring out the most efficient way to kill other humans and animals than we have anything else.

oh and your thread got me thinking about the voyager 1 space probe for some reason. i think i read somewhere that it was the fastest man made object. i think it's going 10 miles a second if i remember right. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Here's a moderately interesting link with some numbers.
Rail gun projectile= 3 KM/S= 6,710.80887616 MPH