Is H50BMG good powder for 300RUM

S, H50BMG should burn very well in the 300UM. I used it for several years in my 30/378 Wby. It sure is easy to find on the shelves almost everywhere. The burn rate is right for the 230's as well. Perhaps also try another powder or two, your rifle may not like one or the other. Good luck

I would be interested in your results, I don't own a .300 RUM but I would think that it might be a little slow of a burn rate. I have been wanting to try it in my .338 LM as well. It seems like its always on the shelf in my neck of the woods which is hard to find these days. I have had good luck with Retumbo and US869 as well might want to give those a try too. Please let us know how it turns out.

I'd be interested in a range report with the 230's too - velocity, SD, accuracy, etc. I've got a 300NM that I've thought about giving H50BMG a try in with the 230's. If your RUM likes it, my Norma might too.

I'd be interested in a range report with the 230's too - velocity, SD, accuracy, etc. I've got a 300NM that I've thought about giving H50BMG a try in with the 230's. If your RUM likes it, my Norma might too.

I may try it in my .338 edge because Retumbo and H1000 are harder to get than uranium. No idea where to start on load development. Probably start at 89 Grains and work up. I seat mine out to 3.900 inches if I can find a node at around 2800 FPS ill be thrilled.

So I 'haven't tried t in my Rum but I have read several post of those who have. Probablly do a search on it. I do know all the posted was getting lower velocities with 230's than the usual drugs of choice like Retumbo or H1000. I say drugs cause finding retumbo for me has been like a crack addict trying to get a fix with no money.:D But any ways you could probably expect in the 2800'ish + from the post I have read. Most have also liked the accuracy just a little slow. Seems the one to try for good speed and accuracy results is RL 33. Starting around 95 grains going up to max of around 101grains. The 101 is were most was seeing tight bolt lift and case marks in the post that I have read. So real max is probably 99 to 100. Also I got my fix on Saturday. 100+miles away from home...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts