Is H50 BMG good for 338/300 "Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boscodog

I'm hoping that if there is someone out there that has tested H50 BMG using the 338/300 edge cartridge, they will share ANY and ALL information.
Thank you,
Tom

338 edge case capacity 122.5 g h20 , 378 wby case capacity 125 g h20 , your statement that the wby case is good with 50 bmg and the edge doesn't have enough capacity doesn't add up ,

I was told that it worked with the 338RUM but I have yet to try any. If I remember correctly that was using around 101 grns in the 338 RUM.

I got the numbers from the cases on my reloading bench . [removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Might wanna double check your numbers, they are not correct. The Wby holds 10-15% more powder than the Edge.

[removed] H20 measurements are finicky to get accurate results with. Fill the cases to the mouth with powder then measure it. Do each case 5 times and report back with your findings. A simple "I was wrong" will be sufficient.

Fyi- the big Wby cases measures .582 at the web and is 2.9+ in. long. The Wby cases have more internal volume than a Lapua 338 or 338 Edge.

T

[removed] I never said the edge case held more. [removed] I have and shoot both cartridges in question quite a bit . I have actually measured them myself in the same scale . my numbers are correct , you are wrong , if you wanna be a lapua or weatherby fan [removed] thats fine , I have a few myself but that don't change the numbers . and as far as your web measurements and what not. That's is not what was being discussed .[removed]

On my scale:

Fired 338-378 holds 127.2 grains of H1000
Fired 300 RUM holds 112.0 grains of H1000

A difference of 15.2 grains. This number is consistent with published reloading data and Wikipedia. The size difference is also obvious when looking at the cartridges side by side.

I bet you're confusing the big Weatherby with a 338 Lapua. That one is much closer in capacity to the 300 RUM case.

I have a 338 Khan (388-378 improved) with a 31" barrel and h50 is my powder of choice after testing h1000, retumo, r22, r25, ect. I got the best vel/ pressure ratio lowest ES and its a very stable propellant! 113.3gr of H50BMG under a 300gr vld gets me 3110 fps and zero pressure signs. Its a SLOW burn rate so if a long barrel is there, id make it my first choice for a 338 wether it be a rum or edge or any big capacity magnum. Make sure you use F215 only tho!!! Big volume loads need lots of fire to properly ignite.

Status
Not open for further replies.