Is faster better?

That's fine but according to my ballistics calculator your 25-06 AI would have around 129x ft/lbs @ 500 yds. The 308 win would have 158X ft/lbs. If I was trying to kill steel I'd use the 25-06 AI. For elk I'd use the 308 win. Just my preference.

I went on their website and plugged in their published numbers. And I used jbm ballistics calculator.

So is the trajectory is wrong that jbm or other calculators predict for Hammer bullets? Because I plugged in Hammer's published BC's.

Hammer Bullets even says on their website that they use Litz to determine their BC's. The bearing surface you mentioned is to reduce drag on the bearing surface while in the barrel (internal ballistics). That's those wavy cuts on the side of the bullet. Hammer publishes that's on a cnc lathe, I've personally many similar on swiss machines some ten years ago. So like I said nothing wrong with Hammer Bullets. I understand their construction since I worked in the industry, albeit a different company. In any case since Litz determined Hammer's BC's I feel confident on the estimates the jbm calculator produced for me.

I plugged in the 160 @4200 with the same variables as the 300 Hybrid. The Hybrid still had more energy and less wind drift at 800 yards. The 160 did shoot flatter. All this still needs to be confirmed by shooting.

Yup I've always said ballistic calculators, reloading manual, heck even chronographs are merely guides. I always double check by firing in the field. So if a trajectory is high or low I can make an educated guess as to why.

Last edited:
SMH.gif

Recent Posts