Is faster better?

This is a 500 yard gong, the black splashes are 308 178 ELDX@2750 and the craters are 25-06AI 90gr AH's@ 3864 same day same distance

View attachment 281108
That's fine but according to my ballistics calculator your 25-06 AI would have around 129x ft/lbs @ 500 yds. The 308 win would have 158X ft/lbs. If I was trying to kill steel I'd use the 25-06 AI. For elk I'd use the 308 win. Just my preference.

I am not sure what bullet you are propelling at 4000 FPS, but my load for my .270 AI is only 2993 FPS with 175 Matrix VLD, but this coyote staring at me at 525Y did not know what hit him ...

View attachment 281106
View attachment 281107
Every caliber I own which is over 40 of them all shoot over 4000fps, from 223AI through 338 EDGE which will send a 160gr TTSX 4200FPS. 20 of those calibers hit 4500fps plus and I have at least 9 of them that will hit the 5000FPS Threshold. Speaking of 270s my 270 will send a
90gr Sierra HP 4000fps plus all day long with little if any signs of pressure. It's not for everyone but it sure works for me.

Dean

PS: For inquiring minds the 9 calibers that 5000FPS are as follows
220 swift AI
220 middlestead
22X55 Swede
22-243 AI
22-06 AI
6mm WSM
6mm Mach IV
6mm Rum
6mm-06 AI 4900fps

Last edited:
IMO, there is no "right" answer on this one. The job at hand/criteria
and equipment, for each shooter/hunter will generally define the optimum load. In my case which includes LRH, maximum velocity will often take a back seat to other factors/variables without being a detriment to overall success.
Words of wisdom right there. For the record I have no problem with Hammers, I just haven't used them. I've emailed Steve a few times and he's always been quick to respond and very knowledgeable. The customer service there seems top shelf to me. It's just not my what I choose to use.

I have two thing. Accuracy and Velocity and, If I don't get both, I look at different bullets, powder, primers and cases. How they preform down range. Longer than 500 to 600 yards, take more thinking and possible some changing. The 500 to 600 yards have been my limits, but I am running velocities @ 3200fps or greater in my rifles, and nothing over 200gr. Most of my bullets are Nosler Accubond now do to there changes. All are boat tails bullets. I have gotten great performance from those bullets over the year. If my groups aren't under or about 1/2" @ 100 yard I change something to achieve it. I don't have the twist in my rifle barrel to use all copper bullets. I am getting a rifle that will do that and I am looking that Hammer bullets. I like what I see in the Hammer bullets and feel they will more than hold up at the velocities I am looking at. I use the velocity for less drop and wind problems.

I usually find my self trying to make bullets fly as fast as possible - just love speed. Latest venture is 6mm, 87 V-Max's ® at over 3550 fps - they sometimes blow up with a 8 twist but 10 twist OK.

Last edited:
Opinions vary. Anecdotes can be helpful. If you really want a deeper understanding in this time of component drought make some coffee, turn on the reading lamp

Good read. If you have or can sign up for Kindle, a number of his books are available on Amazon: Amazon Kindle: Bryan Litz

Several are available for free, via Kindle.

Speaking of 270s my 270 will send a 90gr Sierra HP 4000fps plus all day long with little if any signs of pressure. It's not for everyone but it sure works for me.
You are correct; it is not for everybody. My .270 AI was built to propel the 165/175 Matrix primarily. At my range altitude, at 1KY, 1973 FPS, and 1513 FT-LBS, not too shabby for half the velocity of 90 Sierra HP.

Depending on many factors, distance, wind, game size, toughness, etc, a higher BC bullet or a lower one at higher velocity may be a better choice. In general and all things considered equal, the faster "time-of-flight" (not necessarily muzzle velocity) to target reduces error potentials, maintains higher energy, may improve penetration and/or expansion, etc. For those LR and ELR shots, bullet impacts need to be within their velocity parameters for proper expansion and quick kills, and these parameters may be met by higher muzzle velocities or by higher BC's or both. Simply shooting targets may change these considerations.

Muzzle velocity in itself can be deceptive, and I will give an extreme example:

As an old bullet swager, I played with some rather unusual bullet styles and weights in varied calibers and loads, and one of those was a 17 grain .224 bullet pushed at a chrono'd 5,250fps. While incredibly fast for that cartridge and spectacularly explosive on varmints at shorter ranges, the BC was so low, it was soon surpassed by my usual 50 grain varmint load. The time-of-flight to 500 yards was quicker for the slower muzzle velocity of the 50 grain load. Similar things happen in larger calibers, so depending on several factors, you may wish to have velocity over BC or the reverse. Personally for LR game hunting, I attempt to push the proper bullet with the highest BC at the highest or near highest velocity that still gives me very good accuracy. With all that said, usually it still comes down to that loose nut at the end of the stock.

Last edited:
That's fine but according to my ballistics calculator your 25-06 AI would have around 129x ft/lbs @ 500 yds. The 308 win would have 158X ft/lbs. If I was trying to kill steel I'd use the 25-06 AI. For elk I'd use the 308 win. Just my preference.
Your Ballistic Calculator won't work with Hammers and that's what holds you back, no offense intended

Last edited:
I'm sure you did but the calculator will not account for the lack of bearing friction, we have proven this on the field on a tons of animals, I'm not assuming
I used your velocity and their BC. So that is what I plugged into the ballistics calculator.

Past 500 yards: velocity is a depreciating asset and BC is like diamonds, they last forever.
A Rule to remember and,..
Exactly what, I was trying to explain to the OP, in Post #20 about, the 7mm-08 with High BC 168's vs the .270 WSM with, the lower BC, 140 grain, bullet,.. even tho, the .270 WSM is going, MUCH Faster at, the Muzzle and at, 400 yards !