Is faster better?

Lately, after some extensive testing, I really like the low velocity performance of the Nosler ABLR, have used them in 27, 28, 30 & 33 to date at 1300 and they still expand even when only doing 1100-900fps.
MM have you had the same or similar expansion with other polymer tipped bullets?

MM have you had the same or similar expansion with other polymer tipped bullets?
Can't say regular Accubonds work at velocities below their lower limit of 1800fps.
It depends though, the 110g out of my 25-06's expand at 1000fps, but is minimal at best. Have also tried Lapua Scenar at reduced velocities and they perform well.

Cheers.

Can't say regular Accubonds work at velocities below their lower limit of 1800fps.
It depends though, the 110g out of my 25-06's expand at 1000fps, but is minimal at best. Have also tried Lapua Scenar at reduced velocities and they perform well.

Cheers.
Okay thanks!

1# that is not necessarily true you can have both just like any other load you have to develop it.
2# that usually happends when the jacket was on the verge of letting go from high RPM slower twist will solve that.
3# once again slower twist barrels will solve that, the right tool for the job, I have a 220 swift AI that has a 16 twist barrel
4# what do you think happens when a guy puts a supercharger on his mustang GT, yet that never stops them it can be fatal and it certainly shortens the equipments lifespan.

Dean
Dean, some day we should hook up and make the long trip to our Pa camp.
We can shoot out to 1400 from our yard when the leaves come down.
I have a friend nearby who owns about 2000 acres that had been a strip mine.
He has permanent steel targets out to 2000 yds he shoots at year round.
Bring any guns you own, but before you leave, you will find that you will have shot the 300 gr bullets that leave the muzzel at 3000 fps and preferably more than that much better than the others.
And if 5 other guys shoot, all 5 will have the same results.

The problem here is what each of us consider to be long range.
About any cartridge can be made to do pretty well out to even 1000 yds.
But for every 100 yds further, a few more of them will be out of it, regardless how fast they leave the muzzel.
Hunting guns are only good when you can hit things with them. And very few are good at doing that beyond 1000 yds.

I don't doubt anything you said in your post, and you are absolutly right about what is long range. I lived in the Northeast IE: Newhampshire most of my life so to me long range is 400- 500 -600 yards at best, that is all the terrain will allow. And that is where high velocity shooting really shines.

Dean

What is a realistic velocity for a 300gr out of an Edge I was being generous so I would not seem bias.

Dean

PS: I see hornady has 300gr @ 2600 FPS
WoW I was really being generous with the FPS. It makes that 160gr shine even more.

Dean
There are LRH members that are pushing the 300g Berger at 3000 FPS plus out of their .338 EDGE, IIRC @Rum Man is one of them, and shoot them wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out there.

Last edited:
There are LRH members that are pushing the 300g Berger at 3000 FPS plus out of their .338 EDGE, IIRC @Rum Man is one of them, and shoot them wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out there.
Yup a search engine finds that pretty easy. But even at 2600 fps with a 300 gr it will keel far out there.

Well im sorry, im not trying to be argumentative.
But i would like to be sitting behind them while they shoot them at even 1500 yds.
It is a great cartridge, and i sooner have one over a standard 338 Lapua, but again i like to see it.

I'd even take a 338 RUM w/ 300 Hybrid @ maybe 2750 fps. Easier brass to obtain and supersonic out to almost 2K yards @2200 ft elevation. Good energy out to 1k yards.
1624649371156.png

I'd even take a 338 RUM w/ 300 Hybrid @ maybe 2750 fps. Easier brass to obtain and supersonic out to almost 2K yards @2200 ft elevation. Good energy out to 1k yards.
View attachment 281439
Well impressive as statistics might be, facts on the ground dont always back them up.
Energy alone dosent kill animals, fact is it dosent even always knock them down even when hit well, and that includes small whitetails.
Tissue damage and blood loss is what kills them.
And that might take awhile regardless of the cartridge.

Well impressive as statistics might be, facts on the ground dont always back them up.
Energy alone dosent kill animals, fact is it dosent even always knock them down even when hit well, and that includes small whitetails.
Tissue damage and blood loss is what kills them.
And that might take awhile regardless of the cartridge.
Like reloading manuals and other claims on this thread and others, this type of information is simply a guide. What one does with the information is entirely up to the end-user. It is up to the end-user to synthesize the information to their intended purpose/application and formulate a course of action(s) to what works for them.

You can question all you want, but they are simply a guide. "I" have an unwritten rule for minimum impact velocity and minimum KE at POI. Have I shot and killed wild games below the threshold? Yes. Again, what one does with the information available to them is entirely up to the end-user.

Like reloading manuals and other claims on this thread and others, this type of information is simply a guide. What one does with the information is entirely up to the end-user. It is up to the end-user to synthesize the information to their intended purpose/application and formulate a course of action(s) to what works for them.

You can question all you want, but they are simply a guide. "I" have an unwritten rule for minimum impact velocity and minimum KE at POI. Have I shot and killed wild games below the threshold? Yes. Again, what one does with the information available to them is entirely up to the end-user.
Yup I've always said ballistic calculators, reloading manual, heck even chronographs are merely guides. I always double check by firing in the field. So if a trajectory is high or low I can make an educated guess as to why.

"I" have an unwritten rule for minimum impact velocity and minimum KE at POI. Have I shot and killed wild games below the threshold? Yes. Again, what one does with the information available to them is entirely up to the end-user.
I've killed stacks of deer, pigs, and one elk with a mere ~65 foot-pounds of kinetic energy at the "muzzle" of my bow so there's more to the KE and mode of delivery than just numbers or this wouldn't be possible. Virtually all were complete pass thru with a mechanical broad head.
I've had guides rattle off the "you need 1,500 ft/lbs to kill an elk" like they just got back from Bass Pro. A typical .44 mag has about 950 ft/lb at the muzzle so it shouldn't be able to kill an elk at point blank range much less a bear according to the numbers. There's more to consider than a hard number threshold and plenty of room for discussion and opinions, and still lots to learn.
https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-energy-and-momentum-calculator
arrow.jpg