Is faster better?

WyoRifleman

I am still new to reloading and long range shooting. The more I learn the more I realize I have a loooooong way to go. So this might be a simple/dumb question. But is shooting at a higher fps better? I understand that the hotter you shoot the shorter your barrel life, more powder means more kick, more powder also means more $$ per shot. So excluding these why wouldn't I want to shooting 3200+?

My current build I am working on is a Sherman Short 7ss (still waiting on my action). I have a Preferred blanks barrel, purchased some berger 190's, can't find any 195 eol's, and have some h1000 that I plan to reload with.

Any and all information/ knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Generally speaking, increasing bullet speed reduces time of flight. A reduction in time of flight results in lowering the effects of gravity and wind. This assumes that you aren't lowering bullet weight to attain the increase in velocity.
What Varmint Hunter said, but don't sacrifice BC for speed in LONG range shots. Just my opinion.

What Varmint Hunter said, but don't sacrifice BC for speed in LONG range shots. Just my opinion.
Depends on the range 500 yds versus 1000 I'll take speed any day over bc too a degree maybe past 500 yds but then I would compare the differance in bc and vel too see if giving up vel makes a difference I run em as fast as I can

I am still new to reloading and long range shooting. The more I learn the more I realize I have a loooooong way to go. So this might be a simple/dumb question. But is shooting at a higher fps better? I understand that the hotter you shoot the shorter your barrel life, more powder means more kick, more powder also means more $$ per shot. So excluding these why wouldn't I want to shooting 3200+?

My current build I am working on is a Sherman Short 7ss (still waiting on my action). I have a Preferred blanks barrel, purchased some berger 190's, can't find any 195 eol's, and have some h1000 that I plan to reload with.

Long-range shooting/hunting does not happen overnight. Since you are a new reloader, do not complicate it unnecessarily and enjoy the learning process.

My goal is always to find the best compromise between velocity and accuracy for the bullet I am loading regardless of range.

Last edited:
Uhhh, i would argue with that, and so would others i know.
Yes, there comes a point where higher BC will overtake a bullet having less fired from the same gun.
BUT, at what distance will that take place?
How far have you ever killed an animal?
Velocity always rules, and when coupled with a high BC it can rule even better.
But a higher BC bullet with less velocity than a lighter version is only fooling one person.
At what point does the higher BC bullet in (your) gun, overtake the lighter faster one?
Probably further than you might think.

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Uhhh, i would argue with that, and so would others i know.
Yes, there comes a point where higher BC will overtake a bullet having less fired from the same gun.
BUT, at what distance will that take place?
How far have you ever killed an animal?
Velocity always rules, and when coupled with a high BC it can rule even better.
But a higher BC bullet with less velocity than a lighter version is only fooling one person.
At what point does the higher BC bullet in (your) gun, overtake the lighter faster one?
Probably further than you might think.
Ill take a hammer bullet traveling faster than the speed of light any day over bc

It
No empirical evidence here, but based on my opinion and experience. So, I do appreciate the opposite opinions and like FEENIX this could go on forever. I am out. Lol.
Just having a little fun it all works different bullets bc cal actions stocks scopes and barrels keep it fun

It really depends on the context, or job you designate your rifle to do. Long range shooting for targets, varmint hunting, or a certain big game. Yes the hotter the load the more powder, kick, and expense. With the bullets you listed I concur with FEENIX. A blend of accuracy and velocity to suit your specific needs. If you can do it with less velocity then you'll gain some barrel life and maybe less recoil.

All bullets have a specific velocity that they were designed to perfom in. Some bullets will actually perform better terminally at a lower impact velocity. So you need to research the bullet's construction and operating parameters in order to perform well for your task.