Is Bartlein worth the wait?

25 Otter

Looking to buy a barrel for a 300 WSM build. I was strongly considering Bartlein,but they project a 6 to 8 month wait. My rifle smith will be headed out fishing by then,lol. He's an old bench rest smith that only works on rifles through the winter. My second choice is Broughton. What makes Bartlein in such demand? If I can talk my smith into doing it in fishing season,is it worth the BS ?

I've never had one, but they are in a lot of matches. The Precision Rifle Series (PRS) Finale this month had 56 shooters and 27 or 48% of them were running Bartlein. The maker with the second best showing was Krieger which had 18 shooters.

I would not hesitate to run Bartlein. Actually, they would be my first choice, but you can't go wrong with any of the top makers.

Looking to buy a barrel for a 300 WSM build. I was strongly considering Bartlein,but they project a 6 to 8 month wait. My rifle smith will be headed out fishing by then,lol. He's an old bench rest smith that only works on rifles through the winter. My second choice is Broughton. What makes Bartlein in such demand? If I can talk my smith into doing it in fishing season,is it worth the BS ?

Most of the top barrel makers have a 12 week + waiting period and you just have to wait.

There are other good barrels that may be available with little or no wait. I have had excellent
results with the Shillen Select Match barrels and you can get them from Brownells in less than 2
weeks if they are in stock in the caliber you want.

I use Lilja as My Primary barrel maker and have not found any barrel that will out perform
them but when someone wants a rifle quick I try to find in stock barrels that meet the select
match criteria and have been well pleased with them.

I however do not recomend buying any other grade of barrel for cost savings and speed of
delivery.

You get what you pay for.

J E CUSTOM

I would not hesitate to use a Bartlein. The last 3 I've built (.243AI, .30-8mm, and 6.5-300wm) are all sub 3/8" guns. They are all Sendero contours. The best groups were under 1/4" for all of them and I shot a 3 shot .96" group at 550yds with my .30-8mm. A friend of mine just built a 6.5-.284 and a 7RM using Bartlein barrels and both shoot in the .2's.

These days, everything from actions to barrels have waiting periods - and the lines are getting longer. Take a look at Rock Creek Barrel's site. They are so backlogged, they have stopped taking orders. The shape of things to come for the next several years. I have started to order back-up barrels for all my calibers, so that when I burn one out, I have another one ready to go. Then the only wait I have is with the gunsmith. Bartlein is worth the wait - as are a few others.

These days, everything from actions to barrels have waiting periods - and the lines are getting longer. Take a look at Rock Creek Barrel's site. They are so backlogged, they have stopped taking orders. The shape of things to come for the next several years. I have started to order back-up barrels for all my calibers, so that when I burn one out, I have another one ready to go. Then the only wait I have is with the gunsmith. Bartlein is worth the wait - as are a few others.

I wouldnt wait 6 or 8 months on a barrel irregardless of who's name was on it.

As far as Rock Creek not taking orders..etc..etc...lets us not EVER forget that these barrel makers ARE NOT "GM" plants. They are "mom and pop" sized companys with 2-5 employees and even though they have ( for us common people) a lot of $$ wrapped up in equipment...might little of it is anything thats "new" and set for any higher speed output.

As far as wating...as I said I sure wouldnt. They are gunmakers ONLINE where one can eyeball their inventory and call them and have the caliber and twist you want sent to you within days. There is nothing wrong with Brux...and Rock Creek has barrels in the hands of several smiths so that one can purchase them.

I wouldnt wait 8 months on a $40,000 car...why wait that long on a $400 barrel

TRY HERE...http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_89_93.....if you got to have a Bartlein in a few days

What contour are you looking for?

I'm looking for a sporter,light sporter contour. I'd prefer fluted. 24"finished length for a SA M700 build in 300 WSM. Trying to keep the weight down without a buggy whip barrel. I don't know,maybe .625 at the muzzle fluted.

Hay thanks for the link Sully. I may have to give them a call to see what they can do. I'm headed back over there to look a little closer at their inventory.

I'm looking for a sporter,light sporter contour. I'd prefer fluted. 24"finished length for a SA M700 build in 300 WSM. Trying to keep the weight down without a buggy whip barrel. I don't know,maybe .625 at the muzzle fluted.

Look at the Palma contours. A medium Palma fluted is not that heavy and would make a better shooter than a sporter. Nothing wrong with sporter, if that is what you are into, but fluted Palmas are, IMO, the way to go if you are looking for lighter weight.

I've had 2 barrels ordered from Rock since Feb 2011. That is coming up on two yrs. I have called them numerous times and have gotten a multitude if stories. I have about given up on them.

I've never minded waiting on good barrel or gunsmith and would I wait 6 mos for a good barrel answer is yes. I know my gunsmith can get barrel little faster than I can.

I don't think you will get a barrel like that unless you special order it. Even a special order may be an issue. I'm not sure about Bartlein's minimum size requirements.

Bugholes is GTG. I have done quite a bit of business with Greg over the last couple years. (the action, BBL & trigger on my 6.5WSM came from Greg). Do yourself & give him a shout. I've also got another McMillan A-5 on order as we speak :rolleyes:

Last time I looked, Grizzly Machine had Bartleins coming out their nose but, that was a couple months ago. Other options do exist.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.