Is anyone making 7 prc brass

6.5saum/300rum

Has anyone tried making their own 7prc brass? I have a friend that claims he can make it out of cutting down 7lrm brass and doing some work. I'm going to see him tomorrow and check it out for myself. Has anyone else tried this?

Why in the world is everyone trying to form 7 PRC brass from the parent case??? This is probably the 4th thread I've seen on the topic lately..
Obviously 7 prc brass is unobtanium so why screw around with it until the dust settles?

Do yourself a favor and wait, and if you can't then build a 7 RM, 7WSM, 7-300WSM, 7saum, 7-300 prc, or 28 Nos.
I'm seriously dumbfounded by the obsession over a new shiny 7mm with 83 grains capacity for anyone who handloads

Has anyone tried making their own 7prc brass? I have a friend that claims he can make it out of cutting down 7lrm brass and doing some work. I'm going to see him tomorrow and check it out for myself. Has anyone else tried this?
it can be done. it takes at least 4 dies, neck turning, and annealing equipment. definitely not for the inexperienced.
already did it with 375 Ruger brass for a future project this spring.

Why in the world is everyone trying to form 7 PRC brass from the parent case??? This is probably the 4th thread I've seen on the topic lately..
Obviously 7 prc brass is unobtanium so why screw around with it until the dust settles?

Do yourself a favor and wait, and if you can't then build a 7 RM, 7WSM, 7-300WSM, 7saum, 7-300 prc, or 28 Nos.
I'm seriously dumbfounded by the obsession over a new shiny 7mm with 83 grains capacity for anyone who handloads
if you are so dumbfounded about someone being excited or asking questions about a new cartridge then why do you always respond with negative attitude? seems to me you should just move on instead of derailing the tread with negativity all the time

I'm curious about the process of making the brass. I'm not doing this because I can't wait for factory brass to be available. I happen to have a bunch of fired 7lrm brass and no longer have the rifles so if my retired friend wants to play with it great. I would never waste the time doing it.

if you are so dumbfounded about someone being excited or asking questions about a new cartridge then why do you always respond with negative attitude? seems to me you should just move on instead of derailing the tread with negativity all the time
Oh did you get your little feelings hurt? I'll try to be less negative for you dear😘
I'm curious about the process of making the brass. I'm not doing this because I can't wait for factory brass to be available. I happen to have a bunch of fired 7lrm brass and no longer have the rifles so if my retired friend wants to play with it great. I would never waste the time doing it.
Gotcha I get it if a guy likes to tinker. I do plenty of wildcatting and have dabbled in case forming a bit, speaking from experience pushing shoulders back is never a smooth process and usually ends with all kinds of issues.
My point is that I would never encourage a handloader to build a somewhat redundant case with the plan of forming their own cases.

Well with the little bit of time we spent on this today it might not be that big of deal. They aren't perfect but close with minimal effort they just need the shoulder back a little more. I think just adjusting the die to touch the shell holder like it should be would have them just about right. It was an eye opener in the results from trying different types of case lube. It went from wrinkled necks with two different ones to pretty consistent necks with hornady one shot lube. The short case is the attempt at 7prc and the long one is 7lrm.

Attachments

• 5B549067-BAA9-4F15-B81C-E96AB93F0EAE.jpeg
    5B549067-BAA9-4F15-B81C-E96AB93F0EAE.jpeg
    750.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 2F9871B0-E89C-449D-B21C-54322628AF71.jpeg
    2F9871B0-E89C-449D-B21C-54322628AF71.jpeg
    713 KB · Views: 159
  • 0C35E976-F357-494D-B04A-4351315677A6.jpeg
    0C35E976-F357-494D-B04A-4351315677A6.jpeg
    737.4 KB · Views: 156
Well with the little bit of time we spent on this today it might not be that big of deal. They aren't perfect but close with minimal effort they just need the shoulder back a little more. I think just adjusting the die to touch the shell holder like it should be would have them just about right. It was an eye opener in the results from trying different types of case lube. It went from wrinkled necks with two different ones to pretty consistent necks with hornady one shot lube. The short case is the attempt at 7prc and the long one is 7lrm.
Oh HELLYEAH! Well done.

NICE JOB. check for neck thickening at the neck/shoulder junction it is pretty common when you bring shoulder material into the neck. if you can anneal do so after forming and turning necks but before final sizing to set headspace, it helps relieve tension built up in brass from forming and you won't get so much spring back

Oh did you get your little feelings hurt? I'll try to be less negative for you dear😘

Gotcha I get it if a guy likes to tinker. I do plenty of wildcatting and have dabbled in case forming a bit, speaking from experience pushing shoulders back is never a smooth process and usually ends with all kinds of issues.
My point is that I would never encourage a handloader to build a somewhat redundant case with the plan of forming their own cases.

@7.62 Gunner

Please lighten up with your posts.