Is anyone hunting with a Cooper rifle?

I have one in 22lr. Favorite squirrel rifle. It lives up to the 5 shot 1/4" @ 50yds gaurentee. It's the most accurate 22 I've ever owned. It handles more like a center fire than a cheap rim fire rifle. The centerfire rifles come with a half in. accuracy guarrentee. I've handled a few. Would love to own another.

Well I just got my first one for big game. Mostly deer and antelope but maybe the occasional elk. Here is what I got.

Cooper Jackson Hunter .270

Warne Bases

Leopold PRW Rings

Leopold CDS Scope

4.5 – 14 X 40 #120603

I have a Cooper Excalibur in a 280 AI although it is a bit heavy it is a good shooter, and I shoot it out to 1000yards ,and it does really well. I am not sure what you guys are paying for them in your neck of the woods but for the price we pay up here for one I can build a rifle to my specs for the same price ,and have a better rig thats the problem with the Cooper they are a bit pricy for what you get but they shoot well.

I've had 5 Coopers, and still have 2. I sold two of the others because I couldn't bring myself to hunt with the upgraded wood on them, and traded the .17 HMR because I found I had no use for a 17 HMR. The other two I will never sell, fancy wood and all.
All of the rifles lived up to their accuracy guarantees, and all were/are beautifully finished. IMO they are one of the best values in a high quality hunting rifle.

Ive been looking into a Jackson Hunter and i love the looks of the rifle but they are asking far too much. At over 3k I can build a custom. These semi custom rifle guys tthinking they need to charge full custom prices are gonna be the end of them. Too bad

I came VERY VERY close to purchasing a cooper in 280AI last week. Ultimately I have decoded to have a local smith build me a full custom 7mm-300wsm with a defiance deviant hunter action instead. I won't have it till probably mid summer, but at least I will have exactly what I want.

Ive been looking into a Jackson Hunter and i love the looks of the rifle but they are asking far too much. At over 3k I can build a custom. These semi custom rifle guys tthinking they need to charge full custom prices are gonna be the end of them. Too bad

All the center fire Jackson Hunter's I found on gunbroker and gunsinternational ran $2100-2300, with a 7STW with Coopers usual nice wood for $2550. I can't say what my LGS may be asking though.

I have had a number of custom rifles built, but I could never find one priced down around 3K. And I won't buy rifles anymore that don't come with an accuracy guarantee.

That said, two of the Coopers I sold were replaced by full custom's.

I got the whole set up for under $3000. I think it has everything I need for what I'm going to use it for. We will find out soon enough I guess.

CoBrad,

I had only looked at a few and they were 2800 on gunsamerica.com. plus i looked at the dealer site and they had them for over 3k.

Can I ask why you sold your Coopers?

I had really nice upgraded wood on them, and I just couldn't bring myself to beat them up hunting. The .270 was used to shoot lots of medium range marmots, the furthest being 749 yards. It really gave me the bug for a purpose built long range rifle so I sold a 270 and a French walnut stocked 280 and ordered a true long range rifle. My farthest kill on a marmot has now moved out to 1402 yards, and a big .338 is starting to look like a good idea.

I also picked up a custom .270 WSM that is another half inch rifle, but I could have saved a few grand by going with another Cooper... and had the same accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.