Is any body as frustrated as I am? No Powder to buy!

The real problem is not a sortage there is all the powder we nead. But the law say that a truck can only hall 100 pounds at a time. That is what Ramshot powder told me. DOT law.

I beg to differ with you on that premise. You see, I'm a safety and comnpliance officer foir a large trucking company and one of my area's of expertise is DOT regulations as they pertain to over the road trucks. I deal with that everyday.

BTW, it's not DOT law. It's DOT regulations. The DOT is not a governing body, they just apply and enforce the regulations as set forth by the Federal Government.

Explosives (powder) in this case in quantities of less than 5,000 pounds, while ORMD classified, cannot be mixed on any truck, however, in quantities over 5,000 pounds, so long as it's properly placarded and the driver has his Haz-Mat endorsement on his CDL, there is no issue with transportation. Thats right out of the DOT Part 95 handbook for intrastate and interstate transportation.

Thats why most powder deliveries are handled through UPS, even to retailers.

Whoever at Ramshot told you that is FOS plain and simple.

+1 about rams hot FOS. I drive a truck as well. I have my HAZMAT endorsement and even if I don't haul explosives it be brought to our attention every quarterly safety meeting. Next time a retailer give you the excuse find a very polite way of telling them they are full of it and they should sell the BS they be better off.

I like it 'Production Disruption'. In as much as all Hogdon powders are made in Australia and shipped in bulk to Hogdon in Shawnee Mission, Kansas for repackaging in retail containers, the 'disruption' could be anywhere.

Could be on the container ship...
Could be in Australia.....
Could be at Hogdon.....
Could be nowhere but just another excuse for not having it (I suspect thats it)......:D

It's supply chain economics and the supply chain, in this case is extensive.

If you really need powder then check 2-3 times a week with a couple of the large mail order places. Third gen shooters supply has had a number of good sized powder shipments in the last several months. Some have been announced here so you can hear about it. Midway is the same way. No backorders, but they will notify when it comes in. Get a list of 3 and check several times a week. You'll get some in the month or so. Best of luck. Bruce

Yup, it's worked for me. So far I've gotten the powder I need, plus I started with with some on hand when things went south. Also, some of the guys here have pointed me to suppliers with what I was looking for when i posted WTB in the classifieds here. Great forum and great bunch of guys!

Too bad I don't know when I'm heading south next is. I usually take the kids to the Henry Doorly zoo in Omaha every year or two but we aren't going this year. I don't think Scheels does mail order at present.

They don't on reloading components. Everything else, yes.

Bet you'll be stopping by anyway.

Actually, at the present time, your best bet is the 'mom and pop' gun shop/sporting goods store that don't do an Internet business or a limited business.

That jug of retumbo or varget might be sitting on a shelf waiting for you.

I find it nnteresting how rumors start and perpetuate on the Internet.

For the real scoop, just visit the Hodgdon Powder website and click on 'about us'.

There you'll find out 'why' and 'when'...

www.hodgdon.com

lightbulb

Actually, at the present time, your best bet is the 'mom and pop' gun shop/sporting goods store that don't do an Internet business or a limited business.

That jug of retumbo or varget might be sitting on a shelf waiting for you.

Especially the ones that don't do credit card business. It is a wonder how they can have stock when all the mail order joints are out.:cool:

I actually prefer no credit cards both incoming and outgoing. As a merchant, I incur a portal fee of 3.5% everytime a customer orders with a credit card whereas a personal check has no portal fee and neither does cash.

On the outgo, I prefer sending a personal check or paying cash, in person.

A personal check today, is just like cash. It's a direct wire transfer.

I don't belie e I've ever done business with any retail establishment that don't take plastic, but again, I prefer personal check over CC on out of town purchases.

The sigma about a personal check is the ISF stigma but my commercial bank guarantees personal checks and if it is ISF, it costs me a flat 5 bucks which is usually less than the portal fee.

Odd as it may seem, the LGS I deal with has had 22 LR shells right along and primers and powder, not the ones I need but they have them and again not in the quantity you can order them mailorder for

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.