Is Action Blue Printing Worth It

If it were me I'd decide prior to buying the rifle. If I bought it without the blue print job I'd just expect their standard factory guaranty and shoot it. Once the barrel is shot out then worry about blue printing with barrel swap. Or just get it done from the get go. Maybe go to a local store and see how the bolt feels while cycling it. If the farthest you'll shoot is 500 yards even a 1 moa rifle is fine.

This last rifle I am having built. I had them blue print the 700 LA. I won't know if it help or not, because never use the rifle before or action before. I think is worth it. At lease it's more problem not to worry able.

If you can afford it then why not. One more thing in pursuit of accuracy in our world.
I have Savage action that is along with Shilen and Baer rifles that are Blue Printed.
If you shoot only every so often you really can't tell any difference between them and factory until you shoot them together on the bench. Big difference when you have another rifle close by.

Rifles I have owned.
Blue Printed actions:
Bruce Baer .308 Baer Magnum heavy gun. 1000/2000 yd range/target
Shilen custom bench 6mmbr 600/1000 yd range/target
Savage custom 110 in 22-243 AI Varmint rifle
Savge LRPV 22-250 Varmint/target rifle

Factory actions:
Savage .308 bench rest rifle Varmint, Range work.
Savage II custom .223 Varmint/target
Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor Deer rifle

Last words: If you don't get it Blue Printed then you will always wonder!

Then do it. Laying awake at night staring at the ceiling wondering is not worth it. Every errant shot will mess with your psyche.

In the long run you won't be saving $250.00 by not Blueprinting, you will be wasting $2500.00 on a rifle you have doubts about.

Then do it. Laying awake at night staring at the ceiling wondering is not worth it. Every errant shot will mess with your psyche.

In the long run you won't be saving $250.00 by not Blueprinting, you will be wasting $2500.00 on a rifle you have doubts about.
That's a good way to look at. Looks like I'll be getting it done. Thanks, again!

You might void your warranty if you have a local smith do work on it.
The factory warranty is worth about as much as a bucket of spit, warm or otherwise.

Want to talk about second guessing, live through the 15 seconds of life it takes to run a borescope up a barrel when you get it back in the mail and ask if those seconds are worth the exact cost of a barrel that doesn't come from a random guy in Oklahoma through the mail who may or may not have done anything other than run a throating reamer up the action until it chambered.

For Bergara the warranty is an opportunity to up-sell, from Remington its a bankruptcy claim. I'd rather a local guy I can run into at Wal Mart and ask him to stand by what he did.

FWIW the local guy will fight it out over what he did, and still pop a yellow belly with you after. Can't buy that over the internet. Then he shoots top 30 at Kof2Mile and I'm in the "shut up" phase for approximately forever.

Last edited:
The factory warranty is worth about as much as a bucket of spit, warm or otherwise.

Want to talk about second guessing, live through the 15 seconds of life it takes to run a borescope up a barrel when you get it back in the mail and ask if those seconds are worth the exact cost of a barrel that doesn't come from a random guy in Oklahoma through the mail who may or may not have done anything other than run a throating reamer up the action until it chambered.

For Bergara the warranty is an opportunity to up-sell, from Remington its a bankruptcy claim. I'd rather a local guy I can run into at Wal Mart and ask him to stand by what he did.

FWIW the local guy will fight it out over what he did, and still pop a yellow belly with you after. Can't buy that over the internet. Then he shoots top 30 at Kof2Mile and I'm in the "shut up" phase for approximately forever.
I could run into the guy that blueprinted the Weatherby action at the local Walmart. Of course the OP is from Minnesota, so it's not he would.