Is Action Blue Printing Worth It

"Hand honing, truing receiver and bolt face, and lapping of lugs" is what their site says.
"Hand honing, truing receiver and bolt face, and lapping of lug to enhance accuracy of rifle" is what they quote. So I would guess improved accuracy to what sp6x6 noted. How much is anyone's guess. A phone call could clear it up to some degree. I would note this service for a 300 WBY Mag would be on 9 lugs, so I would guess it takes more time and detail. Also would the honing of the action smooth up the bolt? Again a quick call would clear up that question. All the answer they provide would lead you to whether or not it's worth it. Now if it were me and this was going to be a special rifle in my collection I'd say yeah it's worth it. If it was going to be my general purpose hunter/ truck gun I'd wouldn't be inclined to spend the money.

I would ask them that very question.

It is hard for me to stomach that a maker knowingly makes actions that need tru'd.

That said, maybe they do a David Miller type thing where an action is pulled out of a production process to be finish on higher accuracy equipment…not sure.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Why would they offer a service to make their actions true instead of just doing it in the first place and maybe adding a bit to the price right off the bat to cover any costs they incurred in the process. Putting a product out that is immediately acknowledged as needing improvement by the product maker seems backwards.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Why would they offer a service to make their actions true instead of just doing it in the first place and maybe adding a bit to the price right off the bat to cover any costs they incurred in the process. Putting a product out that is immediately acknowledged as needing improvement by the product maker seems backwards.
Personally if I was paying as much as that rifle would cost 250.00 for hand lapping lugs etc too make that rifle shoot too it's best potential would be worth it they could have done that work too begin with and passed the cost down too the buyer but at least you have options do it and don't look back

It's like anything else, cost. Not everyone wants to spend that much, and not everyone needs that kind of accuracy. Probably the bulk of shooters and hunters won't venture much beyond a 200 yard shot. So why pay more when even 2 moa would be enough accuracy.

It's like anything else, cost. Not everyone wants to spend that much, and not everyone needs that kind of accuracy. Probably the bulk of shooters and hunters won't venture much beyond a 200 yard shot. So why pay more when even 2 moa would be enough accuracy.
I've been involved in a lot of rifle builds when you put the hands on finishing touch too a rifle too verify all contact surfaces contacting such as locking lugs they may or may not need lapping but it still takes time putting the hands on touch too them time is money in any thing in production

I've been involved in a lot of rifle builds when you put the hands on finishing touch too a rifle too verify all contact surfaces contacting such as locking lugs they may or may not need lapping but it still takes time putting the hands on touch too them time is money in any thing in production
Yup and that extra time costs money. I've been in manufacturing/ production, R&D, sales, and training. Any time there is extra time involved the cost rises.

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to order a Weatherby Carbonmark in 300 Wby. and I noticed action blueprinting as an option in their custom shop. This will be my "Out West" rifle, strictly used for hunting. Right now, I am comfortable taking shots up to 500 yards at game. I know what action blueprinting is, but everything I read associates it with target rifles, or something that needs to be done after changing barrels. Is it worth the $250 to have Weatherby blueprint the action? Thanks in advance.
Recommend shooting the rifle first and before you pay for blueprinting, see what it shoots. If its a 500 yard rifle and it shoots sub MOA with factory ammo, probably not needed.

Future forward. Most people who buy a fine rifle and come out west will eventually want to shoot farther. If not on animals, at least for fun and to test and hone your skills. If you do find that takes place then truing and even perhaps replacing the barrel would be warranted only if:
  • You plan on hand loading. Factory ammo is pretty good but still cannot provide the consistency of hand loading. I have personally seen actions blueprinted using factory ammo that didn't shoot any better
  • Changing the barrel - Weatherby makes a pretty darn good factory barrel but if your going to reach out past 500 you may want to add some twist and better specs for big bullets, if you plan on hand loading
  • It is completely fine to treat your hunting rifle like a target rifle. I do, and most of the friends that I have that shoot comps, ELR, and just want to see what they and their rifle are capable of set them up like target guns and hunt with them. If you plan this - blueprint it
Hope that helps

Last edited:
Truly sorry and thanks for the clarification, for some reason thought they were British. Again, thank you!
You were not 100% wrong if we consider the history of weatherby as a whole. Most of the first rifles came from Germany, and was moved to Japan for 20+ yrs.
In the mid 90's production of the higher priced rifles was moved to the US. I still think their barrels are made in Japan though. So you were right the first time, not a 100% US product.

If you plan to swap barrels, then I'd say it's worth it. If not, then I'd lean towards not spending the money. For the price of the rifle plus the blueprinting you would get close to custom action that is already trued/printed along with a nice barrel and stock/chassis

Swap barrels to what? The Carbonmark already comes with a very nice carbon fiber barrel that is most likely as good or better than any aftermarket carbon barrels.

Why not buy something American and support us? There's many other choices. Only my patriotic obsession.
It's a global economy; the raw materials are probably imported, and maybe the equipment as well --including computer chips.