Is Action Blue Printing Worth It

Generally no for a hunting rifle. Squaring up receiver ring & lapping bolt lugs during barrel installation is worthy and usually costs less than $100. Yes, I would certainly not be happy with accuracy just under 1 inch at 100 yards given maximum efforts to ensure optimum ammo, bedding and everything else. I would expect most actions are made with accurate CNC machinery and spending another $250 would not be an advantage with a 300 Wby & OEM barrel. I would certainly not spend another $250.

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to order a Weatherby Carbonmark in 300 Wby. and I noticed action blueprinting as an option in their custom shop. This will be my "Out West" rifle, strictly used for hunting. Right now, I am comfortable taking shots up to 500 yards at game. I know what action blueprinting is, but everything I read associates it with target rifles, or something that needs to be done after changing barrels. Is it worth the $250 to have Weatherby blueprint the action? Thanks in advance.
You should expect that the actions Weatherby put on their rifles already be tuned up as a stock item. Maybe think of another rifle maker that will give you a min of 0.5 MOA.

If the OEM barrel is not going to be swapped out with the upgrade, I cannot see myself paying for the service.
^^^^THIS^^^^
Is it worth the $250 to have Weatherby blueprint the action? Thanks in advance.
This service by itself and nothing else? In my opinion, "No". I can't see that service alone having the ability to be seen/quantified on the target considering the myriad of other variables involved in consistent accuracy. Now, if you were going to "link" that with a good aftermarket barrel/recoil lug, trigger, bedding, etc then "Yes".

Last edited:
If you plan to swap barrels, then I'd say it's worth it. If not, then I'd lean towards not spending the money. For the price of the rifle plus the blueprinting you would get close to custom action that is already trued/printed along with a nice barrel and stock/chassis

If Weatherby squares up bolt face,lapp (hon) lugs, squares up receiver face and barrel threads I would think it well worth the costs. Assuming their barrels are air gauged and hand lapped. As far as a .99 MOA Accuracy standard it should drop to under .25 to .5 MOA with properly worked up hand loads if the Hand loader does he part.

I would spend the extra $250. The Weatherby Carbonmark is a pricey firearm, so the extra cost is not going to be noticed much in the checkbook. If you change to a different barrel down the road, the action will already have been blueprinted. I personally have never purchased a new rifle with the intention of replacing the barrel, but years later it happened.

Yes. .99" at 100 yards.
Copied from Weatherby's website.

"GUARANTEED SUB-MOA ACCURACY

All Mark V® rifles are guaranteed to shoot a 3-shot group of .99" or less at 100 yards (SUB-MOA) from a cold barrel when used with Weatherby® factory or premium ammunition within Two-Years of Verified Purchase Date to Original Purchaser."

I think that's pretty detailed and I don't recall many detailing a "cold barrel" sub moa accuracy guarantee. So that is an added bonus IMHO.

Last edited: