Is a turtle a varmint?

Ohlongarm

Caught this swan killer in a 16 acre lake that was dug , and spring fed in 1915 by the famous inventor Jim Kirby, Kirby vacuum etc.
My doctor friend own the former Kirby estate with the original house and all. This turtle weighs 33 lbs. and the carapace is almost 21 inches.
He will be kept in a horse trough of artesian well water for a month , water changed daily and then my nephew a master chef will make a turtle soup Cajun style that is beyond belief. According to what I've read this turtle is pushing close to the century mark possibly, its reported they can live to 170 years. Anyway for Ohio this is big.

Attachments

• big one .jpeg
    big one .jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
I have no idea how a snapping turtle that BIG got into my suburban neck of the woods. Prior to that I'd only see an occasional box turtle or garden snake behind the house. My 3 little guys (grandsons) and I would look for the big boy and feed him salmon from the freezer. He lasted a few years before he left his safe environment and had to be taken away.

I have no idea how a snapping turtle that BIG got into my suburban neck of the woods. Prior to that I'd only see an occasional box turtle or garden snake behind the house. My 3 little guys (grandsons) and I would look for the big boy and feed him salmon from the freezer. He lasted a few years before he left his safe environment and had to be taken away.
You anywhere near Mattituck, my BEST friend owns 600 acres there.

I am on the south shore of Nassau County, a fair distance from your friend. 600 acres on LI is a HUGE piece of land. Is your buddy a farmer? I assume that he hunts. :>)
Only deer, he owns a vineyard on the water, and farms also, cattle , he's turned down well over a billion from the Chinese for the place. His wines are known far and wide, it's a place like nothing one could imagine.

Caught this swan killer in a 16 acre lake that was dug , and spring fed in 1915 by the famous inventor Jim Kirby, Kirby vacuum etc.
My doctor friend own the former Kirby estate with the original house and all. This turtle weighs 33 lbs. and the carapace is almost 21 inches.
He will be kept in a horse trough of artesian well water for a month , water changed daily and then my nephew a master chef will make a turtle soup Cajun style that is beyond belief. According to what I've read this turtle is pushing close to the century mark possibly, its reported they can live to 170 years. Anyway for Ohio this is big.
Carefully when you change the water...or you may have to change your title....to " OHARMANDAHALF"🤣