Is a proof research barrel worth it?

Well this sux. I have a Proof getting spun up as we speak.
Might as well give it a try. Maybe you got one that's been on the shelf for a while. I'm really surprised at this. If you do some research they were obviously putting out a large percentage of top notch barrels for a while. I wonder if they ramped up production so much that qc is now slipping.

If you look at the weight savings of proof barrels it's not that huge, a .264 cal 26" sendero contour proof barrel weighs 3 lb 5 oz or 53 oz a Bartlein .264 cal 26" sendero contour weighs 4.65 lb or 74.4 oz that's 21.4 oz or less than 1-1/2 lb, for me more than double the price for a proof is not worth it, I have never been a fan of any carbon wrapped barrels, just don't like the look, IMO just does not look right on a rifle barrel. I'm sure they shoot great but do they shoot 2+ times better than a Bartlein or Keriger or any of the other premium barrel manufacturers, I personally don't think so, I think a lot of people just want the cool look, for me that is not worth more than double the price.

If you look at the weight savings of proof barrels it's not that huge, a .264 cal 26" sendero contour proof barrel weighs 3 lb 5 oz or 53 oz a Bartlein .264 cal 26" sendero contour weighs 4.65 lb or 74.4 oz that's 21.4 oz or less than 1-1/2 lb, for me more than double the price for a proof is not worth it, I have never been a fan of any carbon wrapped barrels, just don't like the look, IMO just does not look right on a rifle barrel. I'm sure they shoot great but do they shoot 2+ times better than a Bartlein or Keriger or any of the other premium barrel manufacturers, I personally don't think so, I think a lot of people just want the cool look, for me that is not worth more than double the price.
I'm sure they are not for everyone. Most of my serious long range rifles are heavy. Mine with a proof is a 26" 7mm rem mag. Final weight of bare rifle with muzzle brake was 6lb 11oz. What I don't understand is folks who put on a proof or any other CF barrel and then slap a 2.5- 3lb scope on, then go with a stock that's heavier than what's available. And some of them putting an extended mag on the rifle. Then it's a scoped rifle that can weight 10- 12 lbs. What was accomplished with the CF barrel? It will end up light on the barrel end and heavy on the butt end. That's a feel that I don't particularly care for.

Yeah, I had to do just one cf barrel to try it out. I'm very pleased but I probably wouldn't do another just due to cost. Mine should last a lifetime at the rate I shoot it.
Likewise. I had a action and a stock. So the price of the CF barrel was still a lot but didn't "hurt" as bad. Always wanted to try one.

I just had a 26" c.f. proof put on a rem la.....in order to get the most from this barrel we left it as long as possible...should be able to rechamber with more than enough for a second going...
Already have 250 thru it.....shoot it til the end.....

Of all the CF wrapped barrels I'd say Proof has by far the most consistent wrap. This is because, as I've posted earlier, it is a "Maypole wrap". Imagine a Maypole with say 16 people in a circle around it, each holding a colored ribbon. They begin to circle the Maypole, 8 clockwise and 8 counter-clockwise, in and out around each other alternatively. As they continue in their weaving circle they circle closer and closer to the pole weaving their ribbons diagonally as well as alternatively around the Maypole (rifle barrel). What a pretty Maypole! (rifle barrel)

This is the same pattern Proof uses to get uniform pressure and amount of CF on the barrel, eliminating unpredictable buildup of CF fibers and/or resin on the barrel, thus eliminating harmonic distortions as a bullet passes down the barrel. Just wrapping a sheet of CF cloth around a barrel will not give this effect because there is a joint between the edges of the sheet. That joint in itself does not permit even pressure on the barrel

BUT... if Proof "occasionally" cannot keep an even tension on the CF threads as they wrap the barrel then you may get the"occasional" bad barrel with uneven tension. I'd hope Proof Research checks EACH barrel for perfect straightness, not only before, but just as importantly, after each wrap. And even this may not reveal uneven CF tension unless it is a gross difference from their standard of tension. Even a mild non-uniformity of CF wrap tension could upset barrel harmonics as a bullet passes down the barrel.

Ah, science. Uniformity seems to be the answer to accuracy, from every part of a rifle to every part of a cartridge to every action of the shooter. uniformity is our constant goal.

Eric B.

I'm a little nervous about my new PRC build with my barrel choice. I've ordered a proof sendero 24". This latest proof barrel thread has me a little unsure. I've always used bartlein 3b's or medium palmas. This will be my first proof barrel. We'll see. Should look pretty anyways.

I would like to see a proof to match my noodle barreled 280ai....mtn rifle narrow....
If cf-ing is supposed to stronger than steel..why are the sendero lites so thick.......

Of all the CF wrapped barrels I'd say Proof has by far the most consistent wrap. This is because, as I've posted earlier, it is a "Maypole wrap". Imagine a Maypole with say 16 people in a circle around it, each holding a colored ribbon. They begin to circle the Maypole, 8 clockwise and 8 counter-clockwise, in and out around each other alternatively. As they continue in their weaving circle they circle closer and closer to the pole weaving their ribbons diagonally as well as alternatively around the Maypole (rifle barrel). What a pretty Maypole! (rifle barrel)

This is the same pattern Proof uses to get uniform pressure and amount of CF on the barrel, eliminating unpredictable buildup of CF fibers and/or resin on the barrel, thus eliminating harmonic distortions as a bullet passes down the barrel. Just wrapping a sheet of CF cloth around a barrel will not give this effect because there is a joint between the edges of the sheet. That joint in itself does not permit even pressure on the barrel

BUT... if Proof "occasionally" cannot keep an even tension on the CF threads as they wrap the barrel then you may get the"occasional" bad barrel with uneven tension. I'd hope Proof Research checks EACH barrel for perfect straightness, not only before, but just as importantly, after each wrap. And even this may not reveal uneven CF tension unless it is a gross difference from their standard of tension. Even a mild non-uniformity of CF wrap tension could upset barrel harmonics as a bullet passes down the barrel.

Ah, science. Uniformity seems to be the answer to accuracy, from every part of a rifle to every part of a cartridge to every action of the shooter. uniformity is our constant goal.

Eric B.

Not sure where you got the wrapping information from. But doesn't look like the case to me. First layer looks more like a traditional cloth wrap. Then single strand. This is cut off a .308 barrel about 3" from the muzzle. After seeing this, I am glad Bartlien left more steel.

Attachments

• 5B8BA967-7FD9-4DEE-B73C-FDAE78E87A42.jpeg
    5B8BA967-7FD9-4DEE-B73C-FDAE78E87A42.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 170
I would like to see a proof to match my noodle barreled 280ai....mtn rifle narrow....
If cf-ing is supposed to stronger than steel..why are the sendero lites so thick.......
The carbon fiber has to be thicker than the steel to be stronger. It can be stronger with more of it but still weight less. That being said, I'm neither promoting one or the other.

I run my CF barrel with a moderate pressure load and baby it. I have my doubts about wringing it out at near max loads with long shot strings. I think that kind of shooting is best left to a normal heavy barrel. I don't see the CF barrel as a need unless you're walking several miles or more in rough terrain.