Is a Daypack worth it?

Glizock

I've been cruising the forums and know that everyone's hunting style, preferences, and needs vary greatly. I am trying to decide on a pack for back country hunting (Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, EXO). Size is always the big question, but again everyone packs differently and has different gear, and desires in the field.

My main question: for those that go into the back country for multi-day hunts, did you find that having a separate daypack was preferable to unpacking all your non-essential gear and compressing the pack? Would having a separate daypack be advantageous?

Thinking along the lines of a SO Lanner vs Goshawk with Merlin...

I run an EXO 5500. For me running an extra daypack is just necessary extra weight. Which I am kind of a minimalist anyways but the EXO is very light and comfortable. If I leave camp set up, it compresses very nicely and If I'm fortunate enough to make a kill its awesome to have on my back for hauling meat.

My Mystery Ranch pack's lid is also a day pack, may be an option for you. I carry enough food and water to last me a day, plus a little extra gear if needed.

My Mystery Ranch pack's lid is also a day pack, may be an option for you. I carry enough food and water to last me a day, plus a little extra gear if needed.
What do you do if you harvest an animal? Just hike back to camp and get your hauling pack? There are some, like the seek outside Merlin there will fit on the frame... not sure if any others are similar.

I bought a Killik pack last year and a second pack by one of the fancy camo small pack by Sitka....i put my Sitka inside the Killik with whatever I need for the day.....shoot something..shove what ya can in the bigger Killik and put some into the Sitka....one good pack out for me is essential...as I will have a hard time getting back in first thing in the morning... 1123191058.jpg...this,is my second and third pack.....got it all down the hill to a road that night...packed out the smaller pack....then when back for the bigger pack and fill the smaller again......bike saved me a lot of discomfort....

I bought a Killik pack last year and a second pack by one of the fancy camo small pack by Sitka....i put my Sitka inside the Killik with whatever I need for the day.....shoot something..shove what ya can in the bigger Killik and put some into the Sitka....one good pack out for me is essential...as I will have a hard time getting back in first thing in the morning...View attachment 199454...this,is my second and third pack.....got it all down the hill to a road that night...packed out the smaller pack....then when back for the bigger pack and fill the smaller again......bike saved me a lot of discomfort....
The idea of having to do a trip without a load, just to get my pack is something I will not want to do. Seems like your idea works. But at the same rate, why not just go with a bigger pack that can be compressed down to a day pack size, then it's a one size fits all scenario? Or the daypack that fits on the frame, so you can still haul a large load if needed.

I can not tote out one huge pack on my back....bad enough as is....the back pack usually get the hind quarters..backstraps..and neck meats...the other pack gets,the remaining portions of front shoulders and whatever else needs to go.....and i usually the the head and cape on outside of back pack....it is loaded....the smaller pack I run in front of my chest.....i may have to stop packing both..but usually get to a place to set one down and hike one out.....
I am satisfied with my pack situation for my abilities....

I can not tote out one huge pack on my back....bad enough as is....the back pack usually get the hind quarters..backstraps..and neck meats...the other pack gets,the remaining portions of front shoulders and whatever else needs to go.....and i usually the the head and cape on outside of back pack....it is loaded....the smaller pack I run in front of my chest.....i may have to stop packing both..but usually get to a place to set one down and hike one out.....
I am satisfied with my pack situation for my abilities....
Wasn't trying to call you out. Apologize if it came across that way. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to haul and looking for opinions/what works for everyone, as I have an idea in my head, but not sure it will translate to reality. The front of the chest makes sense... balance everything out.

I've been cruising the forums and know that everyone's hunting style, preferences, and needs vary greatly. I am trying to decide on a pack for back country hunting (Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, EXO). Size is always the big question, but again everyone packs differently and has different gear, and desires in the field.

My main question: for those that go into the back country for multi-day hunts, did you find that having a separate daypack was preferable to unpacking all your non-essential gear and compressing the pack? Would having a separate daypack be advantageous?

Thinking along the lines of a SO Lanner vs Goshawk with Merlin...
After doing a ton of research I went with the new Kuiu 3600 for my day hunts and picked up a used 7200 bag for multiple day hunts. I love the kuiu - I hauled some heavy loads of meat out with it and have been impressed. Their new bag designs are awesome. I can either compress the 7200 once I drop camp or roll up the 3600 and pack it in the 7200 and swap bags for day hunts. That keeps all my main camp stuff organized in the 7200.

For us, we always want the frame on our back. As soon as your tag is filled, you can begin hauling meat and not waste time/energy going back to get a capable pack/frame. We focus on designing our larger bags so that they compress really well — even for day use. Guys are pretty amazed that something like our K3 4800 can haul a week's worth of gear, yet also make a great daypack...

And beyond just the bags compressing well, we have designed our frame platform to be light and offer freedom of movement to hunt in. If you have used external frames in the past and think that a "frame pack" is too cumbersome to hunt in, you'll be surprised at how things have changed with frame pack systems like ours, and similar designs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.