Is a 9lb rifle too heavy? Opinions?

Heavier Rifles, generally speaking, are steadier to shoot than a light weight one, at least that's the way it seems to me. Most, if not all of my rifles, are in that weight category or heavier and I hunt elk in the mountains, on foot, in Western Montana every year. I'm 57 years old and a little plump as well. If you are only carrying it 200 yards at a time the weight should not be a problem at all. Good luck and shoot us some pictures of your new toy!
Heavy is good. soaks up recoil. I like my heavy Sendero in 2506. Sweet to shoot and I have a good sling to carry. Shoot a light weight magnum once. Never again. The 300 weatherby Mark V is the lightest I would go.

In my opinion, 9lb is too heavy for a high elevation elk hunt where you are going to hike more than a few miles... something the atv guys rarely do.

There are some hilarious responses here! We got Mr. Backus saying how he likes to shave off ounces from his gear for the hike-in type of hunts (I don't mean to single him out!) and then we have the guys that think every shot is 800-1000 yards and need a 15lb rifle, and therefore even if you have learned to shoot a light magnum well due to the new materials/designs in recoil pads, you are a 9 year old girl. Great laughs.

In my opinion, 9lb is too heavy for a high elevation elk hunt where you are going to hike more than a few miles... something the atv guys rarely do.

There are some hilarious responses here! We got Mr. Backus saying how he likes to shave off ounces from his gear for the hike-in type of hunts (I don't mean to single him out!) and then we have the guys that think every shot is 800-1000 yards and need a 15lb rifle, and therefore even if you have learned to shoot a light magnum well due to the new materials/designs in recoil pads, you are a 9 year old girl. Great laughs.
wait till you see the whites of their eyes. Works great.

Just remember to put a sling on the rifle. Used my mosin the same year I bought it with no sling. 11lbs held at the ready position all day will make your arms form a labor union against you.

My newest backcountry projects: is two part.
Both Seekins Element's. 1st one is 6.5 PRC,
(just recently received it, ready for load work.)
With 21" bbl., 20 moa integral rail, Seekins low rings, bipod rail, NF 2.5-10x42, 7.33# w/brake.
With Jäger suppressor (at ATF summer camp)
It will weigh in at 7.58# & bbl length at 25.5"

2nd rifle will be a twin big brother 300 PRC. 24" barrel, NXS, TBAC Dominus,
rifle, scope, & suppressor are all new items yet to come available. That rifle should come in around 7.85# & 8.35# suppressed.

Last edited:
You guys are all studs. My 6 lb. rifle seems heavy in sheep country. Everyone that fondles my rifle, wants one. Especially after hiking straight up a 1600' escarpment.

Hey guys I had a recent post on my new rifle build, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they thought a 9lb rifle was too heavy. When I built this rifle it was intended to take out west on a elk hunt or similar. I have not physically had the scope and mounts off of the rifle to get bare weight, however leupold s website says the scope weights about 22.8oz and rings are 3.9oz. Do you all think a 9lb rifle scopes and loaded is too heavy for tree stand/ground blind/truck hunt? No excessive walking, no more than 200 yards to and from my hunting location.

If your only walking 200 yards a 20 lb gun isn't too heavy imo.

Seriously dude if you're worried about carrying a 10 pound rifle 200 yards you're not healthy enough to hunt. Get a handicapped "shoot from the truck" license if your state has one, which means you must have an able-bodied person with you to retrieve the downed game. I don't mean this as a put down just out of concern. That's like carrying a bag of groceries to the far side of the Walmart parking lot.

Hey guys I had a recent post on my new rifle build, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they thought a 9lb rifle was too heavy. When I built this rifle it was intended to take out west on a elk hunt or similar. I have not physically had the scope and mounts off of the rifle to get bare weight, however leupold s website says the scope weights about 22.8oz and rings are 3.9oz. Do you all think a 9lb rifle scopes and loaded is too heavy for tree stand/ground blind/truck hunt? No excessive walking, no more than 200 yards to and from my hunting location.

A heavy has many advantages over light rifles if the weight is in the right place. With some thought,
you can build a rifle that will still be manageable in the mountains, much steadier while making the shot, more velocity because of the potentially longer heavy barrel. Etc.

The only advantage a light rifle has over a heavy rifle is weight.

I consider a 8.5 pound rifle a starting point for long range hunting, and prefer 11 to 12 pound rifles for this type of hunting. I hunted Colorado mountains with a 12.7 Lb 338 rum that was incredibly accurate under these conditions and could exceed my abilities for extreme distance because of its weight and steadiness.

I also use light weight rifles for certain conditions, so depending on your uses and needs weight can be your friend. Light rifles are great when carrying them, but when the rubber hits the road and you need a steady platform to make that once in a lifetime shot, you will be glad to have the weight.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.