is 75MOA internal adjustment enough to get to 1000 yards?

As feenix said the xtr signature rings are a great product, I bought a set this spring because I needed another 25moa of travel, I doubt I'll buy any other kind of rings for a lr rig.
The inserts are just too convenient and adjustable to set up your rig for your shooting distances

picking a lightweight scope for 28 nosler. Leupold says VX6HD 3-18x44 has 75 MOA of adjustment. how much of that would be up and how much down with the 2 revolutions the CDS ZL2 turrets?

also, if anyone has experience with these; the old specs said they were 19 ounces, now it shows 21.3 ounces. Just a typo before? Anyone actually weighed it?
Theoretically you have 37.5 up/down. Depends on height of rings and bases but you should have plenty.

my 28 only need 17 MOA to get to 1000, with a 200 yard zero. So yes, even with the 2 turn limit, and roughly 38 MOA, you'll get WAAAAAY past 1000 with that cartridge.

I'm shooting a 7mm practical, and with a 20 moa rail, using a VX-3i LRP 6.5-20 scope. I'm able to get to 2000yrds. I've only got a minute and a half left on my dial at that distance.

Last edited:
If you can't get enough adjustment out of your scope you can get specially machined scope rings that mount the scope on a slight upward angle. It will give you a couple of extra MOA at 100 yards. Equates to alot more at 1000

My 7mm LRM needs only about 20-22 MOA to reach 1000 yards at 3500-6000 ft alt. I have a VX-6 HD 4-24 that has 38 MOA of elevation that reaches 1000yards easily, so a 28 NOS should be fine.

picking a lightweight scope for 28 nosler. Leupold says VX6HD 3-18x44 has 75 MOA of adjustment. how much of that would be up and how much down with the 2 revolutions the CDS ZL2 turrets?

also, if anyone has experience with these; the old specs said they were 19 ounces, now it shows 21.3 ounces. Just a typo before? Anyone actually weighed it?
Set in the center at mechanical zero, you should have about 38 to 40 moa of adjustment. That gives you about 400 inches of adjustment for elevation. With a 175 grain Hornaday bullet, you can easily get 3,000 fps at the muzzle from your .280, for a bullet drop of 280 inches or less (depending on how you zero your rifle). You should have plenty of adjustment using standard rings and bases. A 20 moa base would add about 200 inches of adjustment at 1,000 yards, but wouldn't be required. It would give you an edge, though.

Good night.....!!! It's a 28 nosler!! You can just about hold elevation in your reticle to 1000 with a 0 min base. 200 yard zero, Berger 180s at 3200 FPS, I'm 18.8moa at a grand (verified)
143 hammers are similar, but with a different zero range. Folks, we're overcookin the popcorn a bit here. That would be a great setup!

JJMoody is right. 18.8 at a grand is about 210 inches of drop or a little less. You've got more than enough. And the Millet Angle lock rings will work just fine for what you want to do.

Is that 75moa an "OVERALL" adjustment number. If so that means you have 37.5 up and 37.5 down. Look to getting a mounting rail that gives you several MOA of elevation to start with. They are like 5, 10, 15 & 20 MOA. Will give you plenty to get out to 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.