Is 450 yards Long Range? - Bear Down!

If you cant consistently sink 3 point shots... it's a hail marry from half court. (But I'd put my money on Bearded James Harden to sink a half court "shot" if he had to) 450 yards is a 3 pointer. Not everybody should or can do it. If you call that a chip shot, then 800 or 1,000 becomes that tough but high probability shot. Think back a few years and I'll bet you were in the same boat as your buddies... hold over and hope for the best at 450. I know I was... I was taught to sight in 1 1/2" high at 100, be just about on at 200" and to never shoot further than 350 to 400 (while holding on top of the back.) Now, its click, dial, dope and if conditions are right, be 100% confident within yardage my equipment is capable of performing under. (1,000 and beyond). 450 is honestly a hell of a shot to most people. Especially when its "precision".

I shot this bear at 450 yards this week and when I only have to dial 5.5 MOA on the scope, it feels like an awfully close shot. I'm not sure if it is confidence in the gun, my shooting, or the fact that I practice at 800 to 1,000 yards, but 450 feels like a chip shot right now. The conditions were perfect as well, wind under 3 mph, calm animal, I'm Prone, etc. I love living in Idaho.

I have friends who do not shoot long range and 450 yards would be a hold over the animal and hope for the best kinda shot. I can't do that and won't risk it on animals. I had a great day out seeing tons of elk and deer, grouse. The bear was on the hillside just above the center of my scope. The 180 gr. berger went through the shoulder and destroyed the heart and out the other side, it only went 30 yards. Shooting Kelbly Custom, 7 mm WSM 180 Berger, norma brass. March scope, I know, I should have taken off the scope cover for the picture, it sure protects my March.

As I drove home from the hunt, I wondered what "regular" people do on their days off.

View attachment 131860 View attachment 131861
Under the conditions you described, the equipent you are using and your experience you have, and your practice regimen , i believe you are right, it is a chip shot. Add more wind, unsteady rest, animal moving, poor control of breathing and nerves, rushed shot, it certainly become questionable. Nice bear, CONGRATS!

I don't want to take away from the celebration of a great shot on a fantastic bear, but the title of the thread has brought into the discussion, what is long range?.

Long range is a personal thing. It is different for everyone. Before I started shooting long range, I considered 300y to be a very long shot. I now feels like a chip shot due to better optics and greater knowledge etc. My ability has increased greatly over the years. We have taken several animals give or take 1000y and our longest is 1280y. With that said I still consider 300y a long shot. To me this is the point that you can't just throw up the rifle and bang the shot. 300y is the point that knowledge of your equipment and shooter ability truly make or break the shot.

Where the line is drawn for max hunting range is also personal. There is not a wrong answer here either. My personal hunting range has shortened over the years. I think because the more time I spend shooting at long range in our mountainous terrain the more I realize that I really do not know what the wind is doing over there, let alone half way there when the bullet is 1000 feet above the ground shooting across the canyon. I personally feel like I have pretty good control of the situation out to about 700y. We have never had one go wrong beyond that range, thankfully, but I feel like the more animals that I shoot beyond that the higher the odds get that I will have a train wreck, at the expense of the animal. It used to be about trying to see how far we could take a big game animal. I have no problem with guys who are on that quest and encourage them. I will continue to hunt rocks as far as I can get a range on them.

Long way of saying, what ever your long range is, is long range.

I shot this bear at 450 yards this week and when I only have to dial 5.5 MOA on the scope, it feels like an awfully close shot. I'm not sure if it is confidence in the gun, my shooting, or the fact that I practice at 800 to 1,000 yards, but 450 feels like a chip shot right now. The conditions were perfect as well, wind under 3 mph, calm animal, I'm Prone, etc. I love living in Idaho.

I have friends who do not shoot long range and 450 yards would be a hold over the animal and hope for the best kinda shot. I can't do that and won't risk it on animals. I had a great day out seeing tons of elk and deer, grouse. The bear was on the hillside just above the center of my scope. The 180 gr. berger went through the shoulder and destroyed the heart and out the other side, it only went 30 yards. Shooting Kelbly Custom, 7 mm WSM 180 Berger, norma brass. March scope, I know, I should have taken off the scope cover for the picture, it sure protects my March.

As I drove home from the hunt, I wondered what "regular" people do on their days off.

Nice bear! At 450 yards, I know the trajectory and holdover for my rifle, and would not even have touched the turret, and felt good about the shot.

I hold out

I shoot holdover all time out 600 to 700 yds with many guns and in heavy wind most of the time wyoming, S. Dakota wind is 15 - 25 daily no guessing about if you practice and know wind
Last mule deer was 450 yd .270 shot in lungs on a lope with a 20 mph wind
Farthest prairie dog .223 550 yds 18 mph cross wind which are easier than a quartering wind which throw your bullet back n forth

First, let me say congratulations on a truly beautiful bear! Next, let me say great shooting, and nice job on knowing your equipment and components.

Third, let me say that "long range" IS relative, as someone else put it. 50 yards could be long range if you're shooting a BB gun. 100 yards for a 22. 300 yards for ME with YOUR rig. For you, it's likely beyond 1000yds with YOUR rig. It might be beyond 500 yards for YOU with MY rig. Basically, TO ME, "long range' is a distance beyond which you "normally" shoot. A distance at which you have to start head scratching to figure out how much to hold over or how many clicks to turn your dial, and how much the wind and other conditions will affect your shot. You say well, I have to head scratch at 800 - 1000 yards... Yes, but it's within your "normal" range of shooting, and the level of "head scratching" isn't the same as it would be for me.

Another quick and dirty definition is anything over 500 yards, or the limit to which ammo manufacturers put ballistic data on their cartridge boxes for reference. For me personally, it starts at around 275 yards...

And lastly, let me say the "regular people" typically do as little as possible every off day. If they shoot, it's typically to 50-100 yards. 300 max. Then again... "regular people" don't have March scopes... And it is evident you are NOT a "regular person!" If you weren't elite military, you missed your calling! To negotiate and thrive in that terrain and elevation takes a special individual. By looking at your photo, my money would've been on you vs the bear in a fist fight! You are what us "regular people" dream about being. Never get complacent and keep pushing yourself! And keep sending is shooting tips and hunting pics! Nice job!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.