Is 350 Legend sufficient for black bear?

If you haven't tried hammers or cutting edge you sir are missing something. Take a look at outdoor Edventures on rumble see what those light bullets do to pigs compared to heavy cup and core.
Also please don't ever try a turbo charges v6 pickup. Can't ever be better than a old V8. 🙂

Hunting over a bait pile where distance tends to be short?

If so, I'd say it should work. My personal choice would be 180gr XTP or a WFN cast in the 225-300 grain realm.

I think it would be fine for our average sized bears here in PA; but would anyone have reservations about shooting a black bear with a 350 Legend? I'm asking because I live in an area which bottleneck cartridges are not allowed, but straight walls are, and I own a 350 Legend. Thoughts?
The .350 Legend would not be my first choice of cartridges for black bear hunting, however if that is all you have then that is what you use. I hunt Maine black bear, usually 50-60 yard shots. If I had a choice of straight-walled cartridges for bear hunting it would be either the .450 Bushmaster, the .444, or the 45-70. The last couple of black bear I have shot has been with the 45-70. One was a bang-flop, the one this year "should" have been a bang-flop, but....it decided it was going to run 30-40 yards into the dark, black, tangled jungle of the Maine woods. The bear was not hard to track due to the blood spray on both sides of where it traveled due to the large entry and exit holes. The photo is the exit hole of the bang-flop bear a couple of years ago; 45-70, Barnes 300gr TSX FB. Note the size of the exit hole compared to my hand.

Attachments

• Dad's bear 45-70 2020 (2).jpg
    Dad's bear 45-70 2020 (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 152
I think it would be fine for our average sized bears here in PA; but would anyone have reservations about shooting a black bear with a 350 Legend? I'm asking because I live in an area which bottleneck cartridges are not allowed, but straight walls are, and I own a 350 Legend. Thoughts?
Brother its all about SHOT PLACEMENT. The 350 Legend will kill a 400 lb bear all day long if you hit it right.
I shot a 400 lb hog and it fell like a car fell out of the sky on him.I **** a 350ish lb sow with my 450 Bushmaster a d o/her than Maki g a bigger exit hole they all fell in their tracks.
At 10o yards my 450 is much more accurate...shooting at targets 1 inch bullseye...but at animals they both are great out to 200 yards.I hope this helps your questions
Good Luck

Nope, I can say take it from a guy who used to do slow and fast. The light fast is great. And I have taken a good amount of deer and hogs with the light and fast and the heavy and can say without a doubt the light fast kills much better and does more damage.
If using cup and core I would agree but monos seem to be different and need light and fast and punch well above the weight they are.
Thumbs up to Hornady 180xtp

If it helps I have a 450 bushy and can tell you I have not shot it since the legend came out. I have seen no difference in how fast the deer go down. Keep in mind bear are very easy to kill. They are not a very tough animal like hogs. So if it puts down hogs it will easily take down a deer. In fact if I had to use a straight wall round and the shot was 300 and under I would take my 350 over anything else loaded with the hammers. The newer monos like cutting edge raptor or hammer make them something special.

Very similar to my 357Max, and even in a 10-14 Contender at shorter ranges, it will put blackies and similar down. I load the 180XTP or the old 180SSP, a 190 LWFN and a 200RNSP. Put the bullet in the right spot, and get the knife ready.