Is 338 win mag a long-range cartridge

Kerry Knudsen

I'm curious. It looks like much of the LR talk centers around the 300 WM. Does the 338 lack in SD, BC, or other physical properties to make it an effective 1,000-meter cartridge?

kk

.338 shoots just as flat why the hell not?I don't think it's as qualified those as the long range boomers these guys talk about they're talking about 55 lb rifles whic confuses me.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Come on my 338 Yogi long range boomer is only 30 pounds
grin.gif
I would use a 338 Win Mag for long range work. But when you get way out there you will want the extra speed the larger boomers give you. Try some of the lapua 250g bullets with a drop chart and see what you can do.
Crow Mag

My reason for chosing the 30 cals for LR work is availablility of match and quality hunting bullets. The 338 just doesn't have as diverse a choice.

However, loaded with some BT at max vel, it would work just fine. Of course, the 250 and 300gr match bullets are wonderful. In general, a bigger case is needed to launch these bullets at the vel that make really LR shooting viable.

Recoil is certainly higher then the 30cal which was another big part of my decision. On that vein, I am looking at the fast 7mm to reduce recoil more.

So if you like the 338 WM, have at it. As long as you can get that bullet into the boiler room, it just doesn't matter.

Jerry

Crow Mag:

Thanks for the response. Why .338 Lapua? Based on what I'd read here, I started loading 250 gr. SGKs. This was based on the long-range performance of Match Kings, but I don't shoot matches. I hunt.

Based on criticism others have had for the Game Kings, I am now looking at maybe Nosler Partitions or Speer Grand Slams.

I have quite a bit of experience hunting, not very much reloading and zero shooting seriously over 500 yards.

My rifle is a Browning A-Bolt II Stalker with a composite stock, so it's not heavy. Not close. On the positive side, though, it shoots very comfortably, and I shoot 30 rounds or so in a session, and could keep going with no hurt. I quit because the bullets cost damned near a buck apiece Canadian.

kk

KK
I like the 338 Lapua Imp for the velocity and quality brass from Lapua. I can get over 3000 fps with the 300g SMK. I have not shot matches either just shoot paper and steel for practice for hunting. You need a bullet that will shoot good at what range you intend to hunt. What are you hunting?
Crow Mag

kk,

I have a customer that is using my 206gr EXP Groove Bullet in his 338 win mag and is getting 1/2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards. His plans for his rifle is to use it for hunting deer and elk to 700 yards.

In about 2 or 3 weeks I will have a 338 caliber Long Range (LR) bullet available. This bullet is designed just for long range hunting and shooting. As soon as I introduce all my LR bullets I will make a post about them on this board.

Don

Hi, Crowmag:

My primary hunting close to home is moose, bear and deer. Each year I go to Florida, and will likely include hogs on my next trip. Also, I have a brother in Alberta and intend to go there for elk.

I loaded up my 250-gr. SGKs at 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 and 70 grains of IMR 4350. In my gun, the 65 grain load was best, with the moa opening up with each larger load. That doesn't bring me anywhere near 3,000 fps, but I can figure bullet drop better than erratic patterning.

In fairness, while I have been trying to extend my effective range, all my shots seem to be in dense bush under 100 yards. My hope is that the .338 will perform at all ranges with the bullet I choose for the species I named. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that kk is what has to perform and it will be hard to blame the gun, the bullet or the powder.

kk

I have a 700 Remy Classic, in 338 Win Mag that shoots under an inch at 100, and under two inches at 200,s with 250 gr Nosler partitions and max loads of H4831. I know that not optimum BC but it sure shoots great, some times I can get three shoots to touch. This summer I put an R3 recoil pad on Simms, (save the original) and recoil wise it seams less than my 3006 Classic. Was going to the range here in Michigan this morning, but changed my mind when I looked at the thermometer an saw -15oF reading.

kk,

I have a customer that is using my 206gr EXP Groove Bullet in his 338 win mag and is getting 1/2 MOA accuracy at 100 yards. His plans for his rifle is to use it for hunting deer and elk to 700 yards.

In about 2 or 3 weeks I will have a 338 caliber Long Range (LR) bullet available. This bullet is designed just for long range hunting and shooting. As soon as I introduce all my LR bullets I will make a post about them on this board.

Don

i would be intersted in trying your bullets can you make any 160 or 170 ?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.